English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 31 January 2009, 15:10   #1
deejaya

Question Strange guru behaviour!

Hi,

I have just got myself back into the Commodore world with an A1200 (unsure of revision as of yet), and fitted it with a 4Gb drive, and a trapdoor 8Mb RAM card (unknown make, but looks like a Hawk).

I tried to get wireless pcmcia working, but ran into problems with the trapdoor card - so I bought a 4Mb simm, which fixed the problems, but the A1200 reports it being an 8Mb simm still.. It could well be an 8Mb simm, but AmiTCP / Miami DX work without any apparant problems now.

The problems come in two ways. First, when loading AWeb, it crashes to a guru after the loading bar finishes. The second is when using IBrowse 2.4 - I can crash to a guru when attempting a google search in the toolbar box, or at a random time after browsing "amiga friendly" (aminet) sites.

I have a Blizzard 030 with 64Mb inbound which I am hoping will fix these issues, but wondered if anyone might have any idea about anything else that could be causing these things to happen? I installed workbench 3.0 by copying through shell, as I have no Install disk (only the original 5 3.0 disks).

The AWeb problem I am sure is caused by ClassAct somehow - it told me it was missing originally just before filling the loading bar up, after I installed ClassAct it then crashed in the same spot!

Thanks for any help or advice!

Old 31 January 2009, 16:38   #2
hit

hi & welcome.

i've no real clue. but a good tool to discover problems is snoopdos ( http://aminet.net/package/util/moni/SnoopDos ). maybe this will help to track down the problem.
guess there was an option "always in front" so you could catch some lines before it gurus, from its output.
Old 31 January 2009, 16:42   #3
deejaya

Thanks hit, I had forgotten about this tool.

I have a vague recollection of tweaking some things in user-startup too, but can't remember if this was due to running a BBS, or running a hard drive, or both.. It's just been too long :P

Old 31 January 2009, 16:56   #4
DoogUK
Doogster

have you jumpered the ram card down to 4mb?? if not the amiga can sometimes be told there is 8mb and tries to use it as such....it will guru then.
Old 31 January 2009, 18:42   #5
deejaya

A beer to you both - it was indeed the jumper settings, this has solved my crashing problem (lucky for me I managed to downoad enough stuff before a crash!)

I told the card it had 4Mb, and also it had a JP6 for enabling PCMCIA compatibility.. I enabled this, now I'm wondering if I can use the 8Mb simm again... (It's a BC-1208MA - http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...cgi?HARDID=950)

Old 31 January 2009, 19:26   #6
DoogUK
Doogster

Yes it can...see here. http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/1208ma
Old 31 January 2009, 20:27   #7
deejaya

Strange, re-inserted the 8Mb, set jumper to PCMCIA and jumpers to 8Mb, popped it in, turned on, and it crashed when loading Workbench..

Maybe it's the wireless pc card acting up with it.. Ah well, should all be solved when the Blizzard arrives!

Old 31 January 2009, 20:43   #8
DoogUK
Doogster

Dodgy 8mb simm perhaps?
Old 31 January 2009, 20:45   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaya View Post
Strange, re-inserted the 8Mb, set jumper to PCMCIA and jumpers to 8Mb, popped it in, turned on, and it crashed when loading Workbench..

Maybe it's the wireless pc card acting up with it.. Ah well, should all be solved when the Blizzard arrives!
Yes, 8MB RAM expansion will conflict with PCMCIA as long as you are using a 68020 processor.

There is a possible fix for this mentioned by Toni Wilen in this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=42331
Old 31 January 2009, 20:48   #10
DoogUK
Doogster

This card maps the memory so the PCMCIA slot IS available with 8mb even with an 020
Old 31 January 2009, 20:54   #11
deejaya

Thats the strange thing, with the PCMCIA jumper set to off, and the 8Mb Simm in, the wifi card fails to work properly, but I seem to have a usable 8Mb Fast..

With the PCMCIA jumper set to on, and the 8Mb Simm in, it fails to boot.. After some HD activity, and before showing WB screen, it just guru's..

I'm thinking possible bad 8Mb Simm too, I don't have another to test though and don't think it's worth trying to get it to work as I have an 030 on its way with 64Mb

Old 31 January 2009, 21:01   #12
DoogUK
Doogster

After my apollo failed...i realised it's always good to have a fully functioning spare card