English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 November 2001, 05:48   #1
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question If I could develop an Amiga now, it would have.....

Okay here's the challange everyone. Although we might hear the occasional whisper of a vaunted "new amiga", I'm personally sick of any official vapourware rumours, so let's create our own.
You've inherited Billy Gates billions as a lost lovechild & bought Amiga Inc. & can design your own Amiga to unleash on the computing PC masses. Money is no object to make this machine....

What would you include to intice people from PSX2, Nintendo's, X'boxes & of course Windows PC's & make the Amiga the all-round adaptable computing & gaming platform once more??

This includes O/S software, broadband connections, anything!!
Even create a series ala A500/1200/CD32 & A2000/3000/4000 if you want to have a professional/gaming markets if you like.
Old 16 November 2001, 07:19   #2
Drake1009

Well I wouldn't know where to start, but I have a few things I'd like. I liked the charm of the A500/A1200/Other Amigas which were fitted in a keyboard. I'd like to keep that style as much as possible. And backwards compatibility too. That's a good idea.

Then probably to win over the market there'd need to be a 3D acceleration of sorts in it, but it should still be good at 2D. Of course a good bit of processor power and maybe extra sound.

Then as for marketing I'd say do it the M$ way and bribe game companies to suddently change their mind as to where they're going to release a game and have them make a couple of great Amiga only games.
Old 16 November 2001, 18:41   #3
Amiga1992

I'd keep it a 2D niche gaming monster. And I'd keep the inside-the-keyboard layout too, for a difference. If I see another tower I will puke.

KEEP teh AmigaOS, improving it for the 200s, it's the best OS I have ever used.

AND, like the ORIGINAL Amiga concept, INCLUDE A CARTRIDGE SLOT.

I'd love Amiga cart games. Imagine how great games would be if they had a virtually unlimited space for gfx/snd/data storage (no memory restriction) and zero loading time..

I always wonder how difficult would it be to adapt a 1200 to accept some sort of cartridge media...

Commodore absolutely fucked up the original Amiga concept...