English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 March 2024, 09:40   #1
Michael Doma

Post "Delete save image" for ADF?, ++

Dear Toni,

due to a Disksalv operation, I've noticed that when inserting an adf file, the "delete save image" button appears when there is a save image of an ipf file that has the same name as the inserted adf, existing in the WinUAE folder (e.g. "test.ipf" + "test_save.adf" with a "test.adf" inserted).
This button should be ipf/dms-only, right?

Another problem:
The reason I had to use Disksalv was a hard error on an ipf save image after shutting down the host by pressing the power button. This shouldn't happen because it is a graceful shutdown that lets applications finish their work - but not so WinUAE. This is what I did:

1. Save a Phantasie III game (while in a town) and wait until disk activity finishes
2. Wait another 2 seconds
3. Press power button on host while emulation is active

Although the shutdown took 30 seconds (because of background services that were waited for), after the next boot of the image it showed an error on block 885 when loading the main executable. Interestingly, the "savegame.dat" and everything else was ok! You can find the involved images below. I have to add that my WinUAE and all the other files are put on an usb flash drive (if that makes any difference).

Best wishes,

Michael
Attached Files
File Type: zip ipf+_save.adf.zip (676.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 13 March 2024, 11:37   #2
Snoopy1234

Just piping in... In Amiga Forever which uses WinUAE as the emulator, a save image of ANY disk image - adf, ipf etc is created if "Enable Undo" is selected in the Media tab.

Amiga Forever also asks to "Save Changes to Disk Image" on quitting. Ensuring correct write.
A copy protected IPF may not save properly as a save file in WinUAE because the save image is standard coding.

Tony will know more of course.
Old 13 March 2024, 14:35   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Doma View Post
This shouldn't happen because it is a graceful shutdown that lets applications finish their work
WinUAE (or any other emulator) can't know if there are pending writes in emulated OS side.
Old 13 March 2024, 18:18   #4
Michael Doma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
WinUAE (or any other emulator) can't know if there are pending writes in emulated OS side.
Saves in PhantasieIII were always written as one single continuous batch (unlike disk operations in Workbench...), so I would rule out a pending write. I was thinking about some buffering on the emu/host side - maybe you can check for that as soon as you get a chance some time? Flushing everything before app exit...

Regards,

Michael
Old 13 March 2024, 18:40   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No, there is nothing to check. Dozens of users would have already complained if that is happening. Unless you used some weird config.

You need to duplicate it first. With less complex steps. Just use ALT-F4 or enter GUI and press Quit. Test with different delays.

But did you really wait long enough because floppy disk writes almost always need few seconds before last flush is done. (disk led on, saving data to disk, led off, 2-3 second delay, led on for about 1 second)

ADF is updated immediately.