English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 January 2012, 11:03   #1
maddoc666

Unhappy A1200 + Archos Overdrive CD-Rom

Hi folks, having a problem here that i'm hoping some of you can help me with.

I have an Archos Overdrive CD-Rom hooked to my A1200 via pcmcia but no matter what drivers i install, it just looks up the machine and reboots on me.

I am running ClassicWB and have tried disabling my Typhoon MK-II but to no avail, mounts ok but no icon on Workbench and entering cd0: into a CLI just throws me out.

CD-Rom powering ok, ejects when pressed etc.

Tried the drivers from the zone and from
http://www.l8r.net/install/hdc.html but nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas???
Old 31 January 2012, 11:11   #2
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Send a message via AIM to Seblington
Hello, I have the overdrive unit which had a problem making a god connection with the PCMCIA slot, I have also seen the pins bend in the PCMCIA as well, thats a good place to start looking.

I think when you stasrt up the machine, hold down both mouse buttons, and you will get a diags screen, is the PCMCIA card showing in the expansion window?

Also you can try loading the machine by booting with no startup sequence (in the diags window), once you get the CLI, type loadwb and press return, if it crashes then, its possible the mountlist is causing the fault (in Devs/Dos drivers).

Hope this helps? I'm re learning about my machines so sorry if you have already tried all this.
Old 31 January 2012, 11:28   #3
maddoc666

Lol, know the feeling. Forgot how much of a headache this archos is. Checked for bent pins, all fine and booting with no startup sequence then entering loadwb works fine too.

I'll have a look at the mountlist as you suggest, tbh, i forgot all about that bit.

Thanks for the help, let you know how it goes.
Old 31 January 2012, 15:28   #4
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Send a message via AIM to Seblington
Thank you, yes I love the Amiga computers but they are not very user friendly, trying to get a CDOM working for the first time for me was a nightmare, I remember usinf a PC0 Devs as a template and making the CD0 file with it whilst checking with snoopdos for errors.
Old 31 January 2012, 15:41   #5
maddoc666

Well all is fine with my mountlist, so that wasn't the problem. I managed to get yet another set of V9 drivers elsewhere, installed them and it now works tip-top.

Again thanks for the help and if any one wants me to upload the drivers to the zone let me know.