English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 30 January 2006, 17:19   #1
Kristian95
A4000T owner :)

NewIcon with ClassicWB FULL on a TV, possible ??

Hi,

First of all: Thank you for a wonderful package (ClassicWB if anyone is in doubt of what I'm talking about).
Ok to keep it short, here is my question:

Is it possible to see/use NewIcons with a Full ClassicWB installation (the best of the TV grade installs) when I run the Amiga on a TV ?? As it is, I get those boring black squares instead of the NewIcon icons on my set-up.

In case specs are needed, I have an A1200 with a 50MHz 030 ZorroII board and an 32mb extension.

Thanks in advance
Old 30 January 2006, 19:06   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah it'll definitely work on a TV, I have it running on mine which is almost the same spec (a1200 030@50Mhz / 32mb).

Get it and enjoy it!
Old 30 January 2006, 20:59   #3
Bloodwych

KG, I think he's referring to those little black squares you get instead of icons when a workbench doesn't support a particular formt.

Kristian, WELCOME TO EAB!!!!!!

ALL the classicwb packages support New Icons including the TV resolution ClassicWB FULL. After all, the ClassicWB ADVSP uses a full New Icon set!

If you're getting black squares, they must be glow icons or a different format. Just look at the following pic. It's from the full showing New Icons created from HOL images.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.png
Views:	458
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	10109  
Old 30 January 2006, 22:09   #4
Kristian95

Thanks guys for replying so fast and thanks for the welcome Bloodwych!! Once again, thank you for making this great package, I really love it!!
Glow icons, hmmm ok, these are all icons from various WHDLoad games.... is there any way I can make those icons visible with my current set-up ??
Old 31 January 2006, 02:47   #5
agent_jdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian95
Thanks guys for replying so fast and thanks for the welcome Bloodwych!! Once again, thank you for making this great package, I really love it!!
Glow icons, hmmm ok, these are all icons from various WHDLoad games.... is there any way I can make those icons visible with my current set-up ??
I'd like to know how to get this working as well.
Old 31 January 2006, 03:52   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
KG, I think he's referring to those little black squares you get instead of icons when a workbench doesn't support a particular formt.
Yeah I know, and I meant that I have exactly that version of ClassicWB working on my computer and the icons look fine. I may not have explained that 100% well though...

And to those who want to get the icons which are black squares working, you need to either start using scalos instead of your normal workbench setup or install newicons instead. Also, OS3.5 icons (and maybe PNG icons) will appear as little squares (white ones I believe) unless you have OS3.5 or higher.

It's one of the amigas worst faults IMHO, the icon differences and sizes and everything about them is just too finicky (sp?) for my liking.
Old 31 January 2006, 04:52   #7
agent_jdh

Well I got NewIcons installed eventually, most of the WHDLoad game icons appear correctly now, but the drawers of the games themselves are mostly still black dots. Any ideas? Some appear OK as the 'filing cabinet' type icon.

There is the odd white dot there as well, I guess as killergorilla said it's OS 3.5 or above needed, I've only got 3.0 on my A1200 here (just running a basic WB install, not using ClassicWB).
Old 31 January 2006, 10:54   #8
Kristian95

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
And to those who want to get the icons which are black squares working, you need to either start using scalos instead of your normal workbench setup or install newicons instead. Also, OS3.5 icons (and maybe PNG icons) will appear as little squares (white ones I believe) unless you have OS3.5 or higher.
The strange thing is that by having the Full install of ClassicWB, I do have Scalos installed, yet I get the black squares instead of icons for way more than half the icons (both folder icons and some game icons too)... drats
Old 31 January 2006, 23:33   #9
Bloodwych

I'll have a look into this at the weekend, but I suspect they're PNG/OS3.5 format. Not everyone provides Newicons with their packages - KG might know if all his whdload packs have them??

Any Newicons should work fine. I always make my own using the Pic->New icon tool shown in the above pic plus they'll be the correct resolution for TV sets if you use this method. HOL images are great for this purpose - you can create a collection quickly in UAE and then transfer them over to your Amiga.
Old 31 January 2006, 23:47   #10
Frog

never test it but i though latest Scalos support OS3.5+ icon under OS3.1 or 3.0 can't remember exactly.
I guess it's PNG icons with cause those nasty square.
Old 02 February 2006, 09:55   #11
Kristian95

Quote:
I'll have a look into this at the weekend, but I suspect they're PNG/OS3.5 format. Not everyone provides Newicons with their packages - KG might know if all his whdload packs have them??
Ah, ok, pretty much all my WHDload packs are from KG, another site I really appreciate tons and tons
Old 02 February 2006, 13:58   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Most of the packs I've done use newicons and older, but some of the earlier ones use OS3.5/PNG icons. Since I changed the archive format to zip ALL of the installs have used newicons or older so all show up on classicWB FULL (which I'm using).

All my future installs will too.
Old 02 February 2006, 15:59   #13
Kristian95

Ah, ok I have a mixture of old and new installs on the Amiga I think.
This is a great occasion for me to thank you very much for your work making all these installs available
Btw, I have a question: On your page there are installs listed by update month/year and by letter.... are the ones by letter ever being updated with newer versions ??
I can tell you I'm eagerly awaiting the coming releases!!!
Old 02 February 2006, 19:54   #14
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Most of the packs I've done use newicons and older, but some of the earlier ones use OS3.5/PNG icons. Since I changed the archive format to zip ALL of the installs have used newicons or older so all show up on classicWB FULL (which I'm using).

All my future installs will too.
KillerG, you are too kind sir!
Old 03 February 2006, 15:46   #15
Kristian95

Ok, I have checked it out some more.... seems that most of the games have working new icons for the game itself, but many games (including some of those with working newicons for the game itself) have that black box folder icon wereas others have normal folder icons. What's the easiest way to replace all folder icons in a folder with a specific folder icon look ??
Old 03 February 2006, 17:37   #16
agent_jdh

Quote:
Ok, I have checked it out some more.... seems that most of the games have working new icons for the game itself, but many games (including some of those with working newicons for the game itself) have that black box folder icon wereas others have normal folder icons. What's the easiest way to replace all folder icons in a folder with a specific folder icon look ??
It seems when you install NewIcons you can force it to change both the desktop icons for your hard drives _and_ the folder icons for any directories on all of your hard drives. When I first installed it I didn't seem to get this option (but I had deselected some of the defaults) - I had to uninstall NewIcons using the uninstaller in the .lha file and then re-install, and it works, although if you've got lots of drawers in a drive/folder the NewIcons can be a bit large for 640x256 TV display.
Old 03 February 2006, 21:06   #17
Bloodwych

Quote:
What's the easiest way to replace all folder icons in a folder with a specific folder icon look ??
Have a look at the Classicwb popup menu in the above pic with my first post. Under the icons menu there is an option to update - used for replacing icon images very quickly............you can drag multiple selected drawers across at the same time.
Old 04 February 2006, 10:06   #18
Bloodwych

Quote:
Have a look at the Classicwb popup menu in the above pic with my first post. Under the icons menu there is an option to update - used for replacing icon images very quickly............you can drag multiple selected drawers across at the same time.
I forgot to mention something from the help file/website when updating newicons using the built in system:

Quote:
When updating Newicons using Iconinstaller, all I see is a dot for each image.

This is perfectly normal. Newicons also contain normal Workbench icon images for systems that don't have newicon compatibility. What you're seeing is the old image which has been reduced to a dot in order to increase performance and reduce disk space that would otherwise be taken up by newicons. Copy the icons as normal and you'll see the desired result will still be achieved. Be careful not to change Iconinstaller's settings so that oldicon image data is produced and saved - this will hurt performance.

You should always see dots in the copy windows when dealing with newicons. If not, use "Killoldicon" (popup menu) or the "ProcessIcons" scripts provided in order to change the oldicon data into a dot.
Old 04 February 2006, 11:28   #19
Kristian95

Does that mean that the black boxes actually have the true icons hidden somewhere and that I can restore them ?? And that is only possible if I do an uninstall of NewIcons and reinstall it ??
Old 16 February 2006, 20:25   #20
Bloodwych

First of all Newicons and PNG icons are separate formats. Newicons are supported in the ClassicWB. PNG require workbench 3.5 or later (perhaps the new beta Scalos as well, read below).

Yes, the PNG/new icons always contain two types of data in the info file - old (original) and new (newicons or PNG).

If the new icon data in the info file isn't compatible with the workbench it will display the old icon info only - usually saved by people as a dot in order to keep the icon file as small as possible.

After all, if it wasn't a dot it would mean more data = large icons files = slow opening of directories in workbench windows.

The only way you can show PNG icons is to have OS 3.5 or later. The new Scalos might support this format too, but it's beta so I don't use it.

Newicons are already supported in the ClassicWB so re-installing shouldn't change anything unless there is a compatibility issue I'm not aware of.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 16 February 2006 at 20:31.