English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 June 2010, 02:16   #1
dave4shmups

What kind of monitor should I get for a PAL CD32?..

I definitely plan on getting a CD32, but since it will be a PAL unit and I live in the U.S., what kind of monitor should I get? I've been told that most PC monitors can accept a PAL signal, although I don't know if this is true or not. I do have an old Compaq MV500 monitor, but it just has a connector for a serial port on the Presario, no AV inputs.

I've also been told that the Commodore 1084S monitor will accept PAL video signal, but I'm not 100% on that, either. An info you would be helpful.
Old 02 June 2010, 04:06   #2
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
I've been told that most PC monitors can accept a PAL signal
That does not sound right! Most PC monitors only acept a VGA signal.

Quote:
I've also been told that the Commodore 1084S monitor will accept PAL
I've had several diferent model Commodore monitors (including 1084S), and they all accept both PAL and NTSC signals. But I'm not 100% on if this is true for the ones made for the American market.

For a CD32 (which I assume you'd be using exclusively for gaming) I'd recomend using an ordinary television. All the TV's I've owned over the last 10 years will do both PAL and NTSC, but I don't know if this true of TV's made for the US market.
Old 02 June 2010, 04:22   #3
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4shmups View Post
I definitely plan on getting a CD32, but since it will be a PAL unit and I live in the U.S., what kind of monitor should I get? I've been told that most PC monitors can accept a PAL signal, although I don't know if this is true or not. I do have an old Compaq MV500 monitor, but it just has a connector for a serial port on the Presario, no AV inputs.

I've also been told that the Commodore 1084S monitor will accept PAL video signal, but I'm not 100% on that, either. An info you would be helpful.
CD32's have S-Video, that's your best bet and will give you a nice picture on a TV. If you want a slightly better picture you'll need to upgrade to VGA (eg IndivisionAGA).

I wouldn't bother using a monitor (esp an old 1084S), just go the TV instead.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 02 June 2010 at 04:36.
Old 02 June 2010, 04:37   #4
Gunbot

I think using the 1084 is the easiest and cheapest solution. Hooking a PAL CD32 to an NTSC TV could be a headache. The older Televisions let you adjust the horizontal hold but not the new ones so I don't think you can get a proper picture going this route. I also think you lose color hooking up a PAL unit to an NTSC screen with S-Video so that might not be feasible either. Using the RGB cable should give you a satisfactory picture on the 1084.

Last edited by Gunbot; 02 June 2010 at 08:34.
Old 02 June 2010, 13:31   #5
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I've had several diferent model Commodore monitors (including 1084S), and they all accept both PAL and NTSC signals.
Not true at all. They support both 50 and 60hz vertical refresh, but only PAL or NTSC, not both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob
All the TV's I've owned over the last 10 years will do both PAL and NTSC, but I don't know if this true of TV's made for the US market.
It isn't, for some strange reason. Perhaps it has something to do with them thinking they're the only country in the world.

My recommendation for the OP is to purchase a SCART to Component video converter and use his TV, rather than some clapped out monitor from 1985.
Old 02 June 2010, 15:38   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbot View Post
I think using the 1084 is the easiest and cheapest solution. Using the RGB cable should give you a satisfactory picture on the 1084.
Most CD32's don't have RGB out. Only S-Video. Only French SECAM CD32's had RGB out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Not true at all. They support both 50 and 60hz vertical refresh, but only PAL or NTSC, not both.
Yes, using composhite video a US 1084s would display black and white images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
My recommendation for the OP is to purchase a SCART to Component video converter and use his TV, rather than some clapped out monitor from 1985.
Could cost a fortune and runs the possibility his TV doesn't support 50Hz via component.

Try SVideo with your TV, if that doesn't work (either B&W or rolling picture) then you'll have to consider an IndivisionAGA CD32 scandoubler which would enable you to use any monitor with VGA in.

Last edited by alexh; 02 June 2010 at 15:45.
Old 02 June 2010, 17:26   #7
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Most CD32's don't have RGB out. Only S-Video. Only French SECAM CD32's had RGB out.

Looking at the schematics of a CD 32 V3 (the non SECAM version) you should be able to make a cutom output for RGB and Csync taken directly from the CXA1145 video chip. Granted its a little bit of work but it would open up the possibilies for VGA, SVid and component output
Old 02 June 2010, 17:32   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The outputs are not amplified and require additional circuitry to bring them to the correct output drive.

The non-amplified outputs of the CXA1145 are available on an unpopulated test-header. I've got the pin out somewhere if anyone needed it.

Last edited by alexh; 02 June 2010 at 17:43.
Old 02 June 2010, 17:33   #9
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4shmups View Post

The best monitor to get would be a multi region TV. that will play any video format from anywhere in the wotrld, I have a Sony Bravia klv-26s400a 26" lcd tv, it will display all video modes correctly, you can find them for about $500- $600

edit....

http://www.220-electronics.com/tv/So...isystemLCD.htm ($509 US)
http://www0.dealtime.com/xPO-Sony-KLV-26S400A ($480 US)

Last edited by kipper2k; 02 June 2010 at 17:46.
Old 02 June 2010, 17:34   #10
kipper2k

Quote:
The outputs are not amplified and require additional circuitry to bring them to the correct output drive.

yup, agree, ideal for a narmi board
Old 02 June 2010, 17:54   #11
kipper2k

Quote:

The non-amplified outputs of the CXA1145 are available on an unpopulated test-header. I've got the pin out somewhere if anyone needed it.
I'd like the info please Alexh, i have a pal unit that i'd like to do some testing with
Old 02 June 2010, 22:48   #12
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
What Kipper said is the best bet if you are in the US. I found a used Multisystem TV locally for $40 on craigslist.

In case anyone cares, here is my experience with CD32's and other Amiga's with TV sets and 1084 (NTSC) Monitors.

I have not found a normal retail TV set in the United States that can display any PAL video source correctly. An NTSC 1084 monitor will display PAL with the bottom part of the screen missing on games that use the full PAL resolution which not all do.
Old 02 June 2010, 23:59   #13
dave4shmups

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
What Kipper said is the best bet if you are in the US. I found a used Multisystem TV locally for $40 on craigslist.

In case anyone cares, here is my experience with CD32's and other Amiga's with TV sets and 1084 (NTSC) Monitors.

I have not found a normal retail TV set in the United States that can display any PAL video source correctly. An NTSC 1084 monitor will display PAL with the bottom part of the screen missing on games that use the full PAL resolution which not all do.
There aren't any TV's, unless they are Multisystem, that can accept PAL and NTSC in this country. I should try craigslist, because I don't want to spend a fortune. I really appreciate all the replies! EDIT: A Multisystem TV from craigslist is definitely the way to go-I found a 21 CRT Multisystem TV that's $25!!! And a Sony Bravia 32 inch LCD HDTV for $140!! Amazing. When I do get an HDTV, I'll get on craigslist.

Last edited by dave4shmups; 03 June 2010 at 01:06.
Old 03 June 2010, 10:36   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Old 03 June 2010, 14:13   #15
Cammy

You could get one of these S-Video to VGA converters and just use any VGA monitor or LCD TV. They're a lot cheaper than the Indivision - http://cgi.ebay.com/AV-TV-S-Video-To...item2a034e3bee
Old 03 June 2010, 14:22   #16
kipper2k

Quote:

Thanks Alexh, I will add it to the list of devices to try with my new project, (although this one will obviously need a mod to the case. I found some 9 pin Din plugs (same as Genesis2 plug) that i could use and tap the +5 from somewhere close

Last edited by kipper2k; 03 June 2010 at 14:33.