English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 09 May 2009, 00:34   #21
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I did but I respect Alexh's opinions.. unlike some of the NatAmi Sunshine Farting Brigade..
Eh? FPGA Arcade is nothing to do with the Natami (other than some promises to help each other out with 68k softcores). FPGA Arcade will be powerful enough to do a A1200/A4000 recreation, what more could you possibly want (as you're clearly not interested in Natami)?
Old 09 May 2009, 01:55   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
FPGA Arcade will be powerful enough to do a A1200/A4000 recreation, what more could you possibly want?
£20 on a second hand A1200 or £200+ on an FPGA board that MAY get an AGA core at sometime in the future... know which one my money will be spent.

The Replay FPGA board will be fun, but you really should be a developer / potential developer to want to get one.

It's never going to be as good as an 060 A1200/A4000!
Old 09 May 2009, 03:44   #23
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
£20 on a second hand A1200 or £200+ on an FPGA board that MAY get an AGA core at sometime in the future... know which one my money will be spent.
Oh sure, but we're not talking about just price here are we, otherwise everyone would stick to UAE.

Quote:
The Replay FPGA board will be fun, but you really should be a developer / potential developer to want to get one.
I'd say there's a market for the Replay as an ultimate Minimig board, which means it's customer base is extended beyond developers only. Of course when the Clone-A is released that's the easy mass market choice.

Quote:
It's never going to be as good as an 060 A1200/A4000!
Maybe not straight away, but it's not out of the question. From the FPGA Arcade website:

"Here is the layout of one of the sub boards - in this case the 68K processor.

It was important to do this before the main card is completely finalised as a few pin swaps were necessary to get this to route on a two layer card. As you can see, it has gone in nicely and has an almost complete ground plane on the bottom side (component). This means we should get good signal integrity to the processor and be able to run faster devices - perhaps upto 66MHz. (68060 anybody?)"
Old 09 May 2009, 04:00   #24
NovaCoder

I think the Replay FPGA board *could* be better than a classic Amiga board as it could remove some of the major bottlenecks in the old hw (eg chipram speed). Once you have a reimplimentation of AGA in an FPGA then it shouldn't be too hard to improve on it and keep compatibility.

And by using modern memory etc, even an 030 CPU would be faster than an 060 in WB use.

This is basically the same aim as Natami and to some extent CloneA.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 09 May 2009 at 04:47.
Old 30 May 2009, 13:02   #25
Oliver_A
Soldering Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
Has anyone outside of the Clone-A team tried out one of their latest prototypes? Would be interesting to hear if it works at all. Or is the Indivision ECS proof that it does work?
We had done a full public demonstration as early as March 2007, where we showed our Clone-A prototype running on an Amiga 500 with ALL custom chips being replaced by our own designs. The demonstration was NOT in any way moderated by us, instead, our guests brought their own disks with them to try out on Clone-A.

Our design is very cycle accurate (you HAVE to accomplish this if your reimplemented chips need to work in an original machine) and implements even the most obscure glitches and bugs found in the chipset, which took A LOT OF testing. You can replace ANY part of an Amiga with the Clone-A FPGA chips, it works in ANY combination of original chips and the replacements. The goal of Clone-A is not only running all games and applications, but to be as truthful to the original as possible.

And yes, Indivision ECS contains the Clone-A Denise. That's all I can say for now.
Old 30 May 2009, 13:39   #26
extralife

what the ...... I thought this cool project had silently faded away, thank god that isn't the case
Old 30 May 2009, 15:04   #27
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Pleased to see the Clone-A hasn't gone away.

What is the Clone-A project for..?
The reason I ask is that quite some time ago we saw an A500 running rather well with a non-original chip-set - so it works!
The general assumption has been that some form of new 'Amiga' would turn up: New system; replacement mobo; upgraded chipset; whatever...
...but 'all' we've seen (all development is good so I'm not intending to be unkind) is the Indivision ECS.

I start to believe the 'Clone-A' is a technology project to make products like the I-ECS possible, not an end in itself. Therefore a Clone-A Amiga is not on the cards...
...would I be correct? (I hope not)
Old 30 May 2009, 16:51   #28
Oliver_A
Soldering Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I start to believe the 'Clone-A' is a technology project to make products like the I-ECS possible, not an end in itself. Therefore a Clone-A Amiga is not on the cards...
...would I be correct? (I hope not)
I hope you understand that my main motivation posting in this thread was to clarify 2 points which some people might not have been aware of:

1. The Clone-A design was presented in a FULLY functioning form to an audience who could touch and abuse it.

2. Indivision ECS, a soon to be released product, does contain Clone-A technology.

My intention was not to discuss any internal development plans, though I can understand that a lot of people are awaiting our next steps concerning Clone-A. Believe me, from all people in the world, Jens and me will be the most happy ones when the day has finally arrived so that we can present Clone-A in its FINISHED form to you. We both have invested a significant amount of time and other resources into this project.

Please understand that, although some people might have a different perception, we are a relatively small company, which tries to survive in a relatively small market in rough economic times. We need to take care of ourselves and we want to ensure that Clone-A will be a success and not a failure.

As you can see with Indivision ECS, Clone-A has given us a lot of interesting design options for future projects and it surely won't be the last time something interesting will come out of our efforts.

Thanks for your understanding.
Old 30 May 2009, 17:01   #29
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_A View Post
We need to take care of ourselves and we want to ensure that Clone-A will be a success and not a failure.
i.e. not another C-One
Old 31 May 2009, 00:32   #30
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

@Oliver_A:
Thanks very much for your reply, most appreciated. All the best for the future.
Old 31 May 2009, 10:11   #31
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

m u s t r e s i s t a s k i n g w h e n i t i s r e a d y...

There I did it.. I didn't ask... but someone will

Seriously though this is the project that excites me most - more than Natami and more than Minimig. This could give us "new" faster Amigas than Minimig and actually arrive (which I don't believe will happen with Natami or not in any commercial form).

I also belive this will be a commercial success.

bring it on!
Old 31 May 2009, 11:14   #32
NovaCoder

Quote:

Seriously though this is the project that excites me most - more than Natami and more than Minimig. This could give us "new" faster Amigas than Minimig and actually arrive (which I don't believe will happen with Natami or not in any commercial form).

bring it on!
X2
Old 31 May 2009, 12:55   #33
Egg Shen

The Clone-A is still going on, that's good news !

Will it be like the A500, a computer in a keyboard, or a desktop/tower design ?
(please make a it like the original A500, in a keyboard form ! )

Old 31 May 2009, 22:44   #34
Akiko

Could the Clone-A technology potentially allow ECS machines to be upgraded with AGA?
Old 01 June 2009, 01:05   #35
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
Could the Clone-A technology potentially allow ECS machines to be upgraded with AGA?
I would think that would be quite trivial as only a couple of the chips changed.

AGA+ is more interesting to me personally though
Old 01 June 2009, 04:18   #36
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg Shen View Post
Will it be like the A500, a computer in a keyboard, or a desktop/tower design ?
(please make a it like the original A500, in a keyboard form ! )
ATX (or mini-itx) makes more sense, so costs can be kept down.
Old 01 June 2009, 08:54   #37
Paul_s

...or possibly in a Kit form so it would just drop into a 1200/500 case?
Old 01 June 2009, 11:23   #38
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
Probably not. The fact there was no AGA upgrade for A3000 points to this.

Depends if AGA chips rely on 32-bit data I/O.
Old 01 June 2009, 13:26   #39
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsy View Post
ATX (or mini-itx) makes more sense, so costs can be kept down.
Why would anyone want to put a new mobo in an old case for which supplies will be limited and dwindling.

Mini ITX FTW....

Add in the faster HDD elements of the Power Flyer IDE interface, update the serial ports and a few other bits, pop on PS2 keyboard/mouse, some USB ports, LAN port, a PCI slot or two... stop me now...

Actually go for mini DTX or whatever the format is that has two PCI slots instead of one. Classic Amiga WITH RTG in a weeny case...
Old 19 June 2012, 12:58   #40
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:

There I did it.. I didn't ask... but someone will

bring it on!
#@Part of my subscription review,prune and revival process@#

3 years later and not a lot happened. I know Jens has brought us stuff like Indvision but what about Clone-A - thats what we wanted? Has he spoken about it in recent months (years) at all? I haven't seen anything....