English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 December 2005, 15:14   #421
gizmomelb

sorry to add to this thread again but I've been looking around for the CD32-200 image and it's dropped off the (torrent) trackers, none of the early FTP sites hosting it seem to still be active and there are games on the CD32-200 compilation which aren't on the 444, 888 or Rochabian's compilation CDs.

Does anyone know where I can download the CD32-200 compilation please?
Old 14 December 2005, 15:42   #422
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostwork
good idea, demo-only-cd
very good idea
Old 31 December 2005, 08:28   #423
kriz

gizmomelb: a quick search at torrentportal.com will help you (cd32).. There is a package of all 4 cd`s , keep seeding
Old 09 February 2006, 16:31   #424
Ted Striker

Question Amiga cd444 problems.

I used to run this disk on my cd32 with no probs. I have noticed on the back that this will run on a pc. I have p4 2.8 with 256mb ram and 9c. Im needing very basic info on how to get the games onto my xp laptop and be able to play them. Ive been trying for about 6 months with dhload, uae and cant get anything to happen. Please help!!!

Old 19 December 2007, 23:31   #425
Pyromania

How can I get a copy of this great compilation?
Old 19 December 2007, 23:52   #426
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
How can I get a copy of this great compilation?
torrent:

Last edited by DamienD; 20 December 2007 at 00:18.
Old 20 December 2007, 00:20   #427
DamienD
Banned

Sorry to be a spoil sport, I removed your link Dizzy...

Unfortunately this compilation, plus a few others floating about contain Kickstart ROMs and also a pirated WHDLoad key.

It's ok to mention Torrents or eMule but please don't link to the files.
Old 20 December 2007, 00:33   #428
Dizzy
Pirate

sorry

May I say visit isohunt
Old 28 January 2008, 20:29   #429
Wolf32

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figi View Post
Did you ever play the CD on the real CD32, or did you use WinUAE?
Because the real thing spends more time looking for the next track on CD (music, video, picture, whatever) than waiting for input from the controller and thus is a nightmare when it comes to selecting a game. Worse, the time spend looking for the next track is "counted" and triggers the "screen saver"-like videos (where the menu disappears), so it happens quite often that the CD32 just found the damn tune it was looking for and immediately starts looking for the video or slideshow it wants to display next. Again ignoring controller input. :P

Since my CD32 doesn't have that kind of problems with other games - original or burned on the same media-type as the CD-200 - I figured it is because the CD-200 needs to reload a lot of data that is scattered around the disc, which takes some time for the rather slow mechanics of the drive. Sure a modern 48-something-x CDROM in a PC doesn't have those troubles, let alone an .iso on a harddisc, hence the question if anyone ever tried the disc in the real thing. :P

If someone has and is not experiencing the troubles I listed above, can you tell me which media type, burner and burn prefs you used to get it to work decently?
I have had some serious issues with these cds, I first burned the 200 cd with 4x speed in DiscJuggler (Nero refused to burn saying the dta was too big for the CD) which produced the symptoms stated above by fiji. After using fireburner to burn it at 1x speed the disc was useable but still locks up occasionally when it is unable to load the music fast enough, sometimes requiring a reset. Most of the videos worked if I switched the music off.

I accepted this as the disc is multimedia intensive and downloaded the other CDs. This took several days and I finally burned them this evening, only to find that there seemed to be even worse issues with these discs. The 350 will load up after a while, but no music will play and the controls will be locked up while the loading light blinks all the time. The 444 takes even longer to load up and when in the menu it takes forever to move the cursor as it has to wait for ages loading the game/group description. Worse, actually loading a game took as long as it did for the CD to load. I wasnt expecting the 888 to be any faster and sadly I was right, it took an age to load up, even slower than the 444 and the menu was equally impossibly slow.

Now I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the drive on my CD32 because I cant see why its loading these cds so slowly. The drive seems to spin the disc up to full speed and then slow it down again repeatedly while loading. Could this be due to a worn or dirty read lens?

I could equally be doing something wrong in the burning process. Using fireburner at 1x and TAO seems to be the best method described here other than nero, are there any other settings I need to ensure?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with these problems.
Old 28 January 2008, 21:04   #430
DamienD
Banned

Hey Wolf32,

I believe the issue is caused by the long list of games plus the GUI...

As you've experienced, the more games the slower loading.

Not much can be done about that unfortunately
Old 28 January 2008, 21:11   #431
Wolf32

I realise the discs have quite a lot to load but i think my CD32 is having issues. After leaving the cd32 on for a while with the 200 CD in I tried the discs again and this time they all worked well enough to select games from, the 350 works better than the 200 now although the 444 and 888 are pretty sluggish because the cursor cant be moved until each game/category has loaded. (and take forever to load up games) However the music has no problem loading fast enough on the 444 and 888 so thats a bonus

amiga magic? I dunno I think my CD drive might be dodgy ...

kudos to the people who put these cds together, even when they are slow to load I can see how awesome they are

and thanks for getting back to me on this issue so soon. Would it be worth putting a lens cleaner CD in my CD32?
Old 29 January 2008, 11:55   #432
Josh
Lord of Amiga-Manuals

Since I only use yet "Intenso - Black Edition" discs I don't have any troubles anymore.
I can burn them with max speed and it's working fine.

Discs from any (cheap-)discounters are not very good - max speed was 4x ...

Maybe you should try this discs.

Cheers Josh
Old 29 January 2008, 18:42   #433
Wolf32

Where can i get these intenso discs? They sound like a very good idea. Also, how much do they cost?
Old 29 January 2008, 19:03   #434
Josh
Lord of Amiga-Manuals

That's a cruel question. I don't know where you can get these discs in UK. But they are not really expensive.
I paid for 20 discs (or are it 25?) ca. 12 Euro (in your currency around 9 Pounds).

Ask your dealer for this discs. Or have a deeper look in any shelves of the department stores.

Cheers Josh
Old 29 January 2008, 19:52   #435
Wolf32

thanks, I'll look out for them. I will need some new CDs soon anyway. That sounds like apretty good price for recordable CDs too. Its great finding there's CD32 games and stuff available online since I hadnt got my CD32 out for ages. I also never realised a standard amiga mouse would work with the system. i will need to find a 4000 keyboard...

I hope I can find some intenso discs, the game cds might work better then. As an interesting note, the multi-game CDs are the only discs the CD32 seems to have a problem with - other burned games work perfectly.
Old 29 January 2008, 20:28   #436
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf32 View Post
I hope I can find some intenso discs, the game cds might work better then. As an interesting note, the multi-game CDs are the only discs the CD32 seems to have a problem with - other burned games work perfectly.
Do you have only a standard CD32 or one with the a SX-1 expansion?
Old 29 January 2008, 20:38   #437
Josh
Lord of Amiga-Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf32 View Post
thanks, I'll look out for them. I will need some new CDs soon anyway. That sounds like apretty good price for recordable CDs too. Its great finding there's CD32 games and stuff available online since I hadnt got my CD32 out for ages. I also never realised a standard amiga mouse would work with the system. i will need to find a 4000 keyboard...
Look to it that it is the Black Edition. Recognizable on black CD's (but maybe in UK not possible to see).
And no, you don't need to find a (expensive) A4000 keyboard. It's enough if you can catch a keyboard from an A2000 or an A1000 too. All you need to work on CD32 is an adapter cable which you can get in every PC shop (5 pin DIN connector to PS/2 connector).

Quote:
Sounds that the images are damaged? However, hope your search for this discs will be successfull.

Cheers Josh
Old 29 January 2008, 22:40   #438
Paul_s

The compilations have the option to turn off the music/video accessing which can put quite a load on the drive...

This will speed up menu accessing no end...
Old 29 January 2008, 23:10   #439
Wolf32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Do you have only a standard CD32 or one with the a SX-1 expansion?
a standard cd32, unfortunately
Old 29 January 2008, 23:14   #440
Wolf32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
The compilations have the option to turn off the music/video accessing which can put quite a load on the drive...

This will speed up menu accessing no end...
i know the 200 can turn the music off, but the 350 seems not to have this feature and i couldnt find how to disable videos on either. The 400 and 800 dont struggle with music loading as they seem to use mods not CD audio.

Josh, is a 5 pin DIN connector to PS/2 connector that easily available? I should check in PC world...

I dont think the intenso discs are available in the uk. Does anyone know a good equivalent?