English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 21 January 2010, 23:11   #1
Tiddlypeeps
Tiddlypeeps

Trouble Installing ClassicWB

Hey im not very familliar with the Amiga so I am having a little trouble installing classicWB. I have an A1200 but I am just using the winUAE emulator at the moment.

Here are the steps that i have taken so far;

I set up a windows folder to be a hard drive in the winUAE properites, I labeled the Hard drive DH0. I put the system.hdf file in this folder.

In the floppy drives section I set the DF0 to open the Real_Amiga_Install.ADF file.

Then I click start, and I enter a window that says welcome to the classicWB install to press return to enter.

It then says it will attempt to unzip DH0:system.zip

Then it says installing for a while, then a bunch of error messages appear but they disapper too quick to read. Then it says No trashcan detected - moving on...
Thanks for installing classicWB
Would you like to delete system.zip
i type n and then it says installation complete.

Please remove the install disk and reboot.

I do this and nothing happens, nothing is installed into the windows folder that i was using as the DH0 hard drive, and when I boot winUAE without a boot disk it just boots into AmigaDOS.

Anyone know what im doing wrong?
Old 21 January 2010, 23:18   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddlypeeps View Post
Anyone know what im doing wrong?
This is what you're doing wrong:

Quote:
I set up a windows folder to be a hard drive in the winUAE properites, I labeled the Hard drive DH0. I put the system.hdf file in this folder.
You need to mount the hardfile as a hard drive, not the Windows folder containing it. To do this hit the Hard Drives tab in the WinUAE GUI, choose Hardfile and navigate to the folder containing the system.hdf file, select it and press OK.
Old 22 January 2010, 00:48   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Also you don't need the 'Real_Amiga_Install.ADF' to install on Winuae. Just mount the HDF as prowler says. When you run winuae the setup/activation screen for Classic Workbench will be displayed and you'll be asked to insert a 3.0 or 3.1 workbench disk. Asuuming you have the ADF for that mount it and press enter to continue.

If you choose to upgrade to 3.1 you'll need to mount all the 3.1 disks when prompted if you choose not to upgrade it will just activate off the 3.0 or 3.1 ADF.

Once its finished activating it will promt you to remove the ADF and reset.

It will then load into classic workbench

If you want to put it on your real amiga just copy all the files from the HDF with DOPUS to your amiga hard drive under winuae (I connect mine with a USB-IDE adapter) if you have a CF card for a hard Drive you can use a card reader.

Your Amiga hard drive or CF must be formatted with HDToolbox first unless its already had workbench on it before. In that case as long as you have no important data you can just delete all the files and then copy accross the files from your newly activated Classic Workbench.

Hope I make sense...

Steve.
Old 22 January 2010, 01:17   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Yep, that makes great sense!

Thanks for the follow-up, Steve! (I couldn't remember the rest of it.)
Old 22 January 2010, 07:31   #5
EmuChicken

you should also plug in the amiga hard drive and set it up WITHIN the amiga, NOT the PC .. you only need the workbench install 3.0 or 3.1 disk to do that ;-)

if you dont do that to your drive before you plug it into the PC, its a batch to get it to run properly within winuae
Old 22 January 2010, 09:09   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I've installed over a dozen times, different versions, setups, etc.

Never had any problems getting it to run in winuae. Its musch easier to do all the donkey work in winuae then transfer the finished product to the real Amiga.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 22 January 2010, 20:10   #7
Tiddlypeeps
Tiddlypeeps

How do i set the hardfile as the highest priority to boot?

I load the system.hdf as a hardfile and i load the workbench3.1 disk into the first floppy drive because this is requested by the classicWB install, but the floppy drive seems to have priority because it boots into it instead of the classicWB.
Old 22 January 2010, 20:19   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

you need to insert the 3.1 disk after you have booted from the HDF so when you are prompted to insert the disk hit F12 and mount the workbench disk then return to your emulation without restarting. Hit return and follow the rest of the instructions on screen.
Old 22 January 2010, 20:21   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
How do i set the hardfile as the highest priority to boot?
If you have a hard drive assigned and floppy disk inserted when you boot the emulation, it will always boot to the floppy disk.

To get around this, mount the hardfile and boot the emulation without the floppy image inserted. When the emulation boots, press F12 and hit the 'Floppies' tab and insert your disk image in DF0: and press 'OK'

Alternatively, you can boot the emulation with the floppy image inserted in DF1: instead of DF0:

Edit: Beaten to the post by fitzsteve!
Old 22 January 2010, 20:45   #10
Bloodwych

Thanks for trying out the packs Tiddlypeeps, but what's so hard about the instructions: http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm

It even has a few pics, although I do admit the webpage could be a lot better.

The only thing missing is you need to hit F12 to insert a disk/ADF image when requested to.
Old 22 January 2010, 22:28   #11
Tiddlypeeps
Tiddlypeeps

Cheers for the help guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Thanks for trying out the packs Tiddlypeeps, but what's so hard about the instructions: http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm

It even has a few pics, although I do admit the webpage could be a lot better.

The only thing missing is you need to hit F12 to insert a disk/ADF image when requested to.
Im gonna assume its cuz im just not that bright

It was just the mounting the .hdf file bit and the F12 bit that tripped me up. Other than that the instructions are super

I just hope I dont run inot trouble with my compact flash card, ive heard that the amiga dosent like 4gb ones, mine says its 4gb's but its actually only 3.8 so hopefully it wont be a problem.
Old 22 January 2010, 23:06   #12
Bloodwych

I was just a little blunt because I thought you may not have read them first Tiddlypeeps..

I'll add the F12 bit and look at clearing it up a little. I forget that what is straight forward to me may not be to someone using WinUAE for the first time.