English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 18 February 2007, 00:02   #1
macce2
Retro maniac

Ambermoon WHD

Hi,

Has Ambermoon been whd-installed ?
I'm having some problems with the game saving and would like to try the WHDload version, if it does exist..?!? :-)
Please help, it's a great game, but I can't save game states at all.
Old 18 February 2007, 17:30   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

No WHDload version exists because there is no need for a WHDload version. The game works well from hard drive with AGA and accelerators.

Depending on which set of (German) Disks you may have v1.01 which has some problems. The final German version was v1.05

http://aminet.net/package/game/patch/amber

and there are some patched versions of v1.05 to improve compatibility with the 68060

http://aminet.net/package/game/patch/amberfix

V1.07 (English) works well upto and including a 68060 "as is", it has known minor bugs though (mainly with typo's in the script files) as it is a beta release and was never sold commercially.

Last edited by alexh; 18 February 2007 at 17:36.
Old 16 July 2007, 10:30   #3
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
No WHDload version exists because there is no need for a WHDload version. The game works well from hard drive with AGA and accelerators.
The HD version is much more slow that adf version.Simple a1200 has super smooth movement in levels 3D if you use adf version and the HD version needs a good accelerator to have the same result.I'm wondered if the WHDInstall could maintain the adf version speed?

Last edited by frikilokooo; 16 July 2007 at 10:43.
Old 16 July 2007, 11:15   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
The HD version is much more slow that adf version.
The HD version _IS_ the same version as the floppy disk version! They are the same files. If there is a speed difference then it is not the game's fault.

If it is any slower it is probably YOUR workbench configuration.

Quote:
Simple a1200
When you say "Simple A1200" do you mean a vanilla 2Mbyte CHIP RAM one with no fast RAM?

Do you have the hard drive connected in both situations?

Are you using a standard workbench 3.1 install? I.e. no extra's.

Check to see how much RAM you have available after workbench loads. If it is significantly less than the maximum, check your startup-sequence for any extraneous programs which may be running in the background and eating up precious RAM/CPU cycles.

Quote:
Simple a1200 has super smooth movement in levels 3D if you use adf version
When you say ADF, do you mean that you are running in WinUAE? Or do you mean you are running from floppy disks with a REAL Amiga?

Check the floor and the ceiling textures, are you sure they are both off (or on) in both situations?
Old 16 July 2007, 13:37   #5
frikilokooo

I have tested right now the game in my new a1200 and works very slow and in WinUAE works very faster because I didn't remember that I descended the compatibility,the speed is really the same in adf and HD.

I'm sorry it to everybody and alexh by the annoyances.
Old 16 July 2007, 13:47   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

No problemo.
Old 17 July 2007, 01:57   #7
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

LOL...

Ok... Here's one for ya Mr Alexh. I've just downloaded the DMS files off Thalions website and spent this evening installing and creating my own HDF of Button Moon. Sorry I mean Ambermoon. Anyway I get this really weird problem. When I enter the cellar near the beginning the view window just goes black.

Is this supposed to happen or is this a winuae bug? Or maybe there is something I need to tweak in the winuae settings to see the nice 3D cellar.

I've put my Ambermoon HDF file in the zone if anyone wants to try it out for themselves.

Cheers.
Old 17 July 2007, 02:03   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

That's cos it's dark in the Cellar. Some sort of light?? Duracell Torch perhaps??

Oh shit, what's that right next to the entrance on a barrel? Some sort of wood like substance

Awe man, I'm sorry to take the piss.

Have you ever played an RPG before?

P.S. Make sure the HDF doesnt have anything other than Ambermoon in... (e.g. no workbench et al)
Old 17 July 2007, 06:01   #9
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
When I enter the cellar near the beginning the view window just goes black.
Got this "problem" with the game too... phew... at least I'm not the only one, thanks Steve!
Old 17 July 2007, 10:49   #10
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Big grin

Quote:
That's cos it's dark in the Cellar. Some sort of light?? Duracell Torch perhaps??

Oh shit, what's that right next to the entrance on a barrel? Some sort of wood like substance

Awe man, I'm sorry to take the piss.

Have you ever played an RPG before?
Oh right. Well you can never be too sure if a game is working right under emulation. No I missed that barrel thing I'm afraid. The graphics are just soooooo tiny!

Hey I'm an RPG god me!! I love RPGs (when they're intuitive) like Darkmere etc. In fact I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger (again). Its the best of em all.

Oh and there is no workbench in my HDF only Ambermoon.
Old 17 July 2007, 20:00   #11
frikilokooo

I also had problems to find the torches at the beginning of the game,I thought that was a kind of anti-piracy protection

Steve assures you to activate the ground and ceiling textures in options, much better graphics and with an Amiga powerful very smooth movement
Old 17 July 2007, 21:19   #12
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Guys just one big hint. Search carefully and you might find other interesting things.
Old 09 November 2007, 02:29   #13
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

if someone could put again the ambermoon hdf in the zone ?
edit: ok i manage to make it work

Last edited by turrican3; 09 November 2007 at 03:36.
Old 09 November 2007, 16:38   #14
meynaf
son of 68k

Big grin

Hello guys, I'm new here but I'm not new for neither Amiga nor Ambermoon (nor 68k coding, but that's another story).

If someone's interested, I have an english 1.07 version where a whole lot of bugs were corrected (by myself, yep). This is enough to finish the game and go everywhere (there are still bugs, however, but I think most of them also are in the german 1.05 version).

This isn't a hack, just things corrected here and there. Only a few files need to be replaced.

In the original 1.07 version some messages made the game abruptly quit, and you simply couldn't recruit Valdyn.

Also, if someone needs help in advancing into the game, I might help 'coz I finished it several times

I'll add that I like this game a lot, probably my all times fave one.
I remember having killed the lich lord in ONE combat round
Old 09 November 2007, 17:44   #15
frikilokooo

Ambermoon is inside of my TopTen Amiga games,it's a brilliant game
Old 10 November 2007, 10:04   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
If someone's interested, I have an english 1.07 version where a whole lot of bugs were corrected (by myself, yep).
You fixed them eh? Only myself and 2 other coders have fixed bugs in Ambermoon. One of which is already a member of this board. What is your real name?

Quote:
This is enough to finish the game and go everywhere (there are still bugs, however, but I think most of them also are in the german 1.05 version).
You can finish the game with the original v1.07

Quote:
This isn't a hack, just things corrected here and there. Only a few files need to be replaced.
Files we (those who patched them) agreed not to release until they were tested from start to finish, something that no-one ever did which is why they remain un released. The main concern was we might break something worse than the original bugs.

Quote:
In the original 1.07 version some messages made the game abruptly quit, and you simply couldn't recruit Valdyn.
1) You can recruit Valdyn in the original, you use the JUMP spell to go through the door.
2) The author of the original Ambermoon hackers toolkit for the Amiga fixed this bug WAY back in 1999/2000. A great guy who created a set of tools to dcrypt, unpack, split and rejoin the Ambermoon files. We lost touch in 2000. However I dont think he was French. If you are him, PM me with your name

For a list of the bugs that have been found (and fixed) check here.

http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/ambermoon/bugs.html

The first few were fixed by the coder of the toolkit, the others by another fan of Ambermoon about a year later.

Last edited by alexh; 10 November 2007 at 10:27.
Old 12 November 2007, 10:18   #17
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
You fixed them eh? Only myself and 2 other coders have fixed bugs in Ambermoon. One of which is already a member of this board. What is your real name?
I'd say that only yourself and *3* other coders have fixed bugs in Ambermoon
I however never released anything so you surely don't know me.

Quote:
You can finish the game with the original v1.07
Sure, but there are things you can't do.

Quote:
Files we (those who patched them) agreed not to release until they were tested from start to finish, something that no-one ever did which is why they remain un released. The main concern was we might break something worse than the original bugs.
If there is a fixed version I can get somewhere, I might test it from the beginning to the end, if this helps in releasing it

Quote:
1) You can recruit Valdyn in the original, you use the JUMP spell to go through the door.
... and end up blocked if you only had one
I didn't know you could do it like that.

Quote:
2) The author of the original Ambermoon hackers toolkit for the Amiga fixed this bug WAY back in 1999/2000. A great guy who created a set of tools to dcrypt, unpack, split and rejoin the Ambermoon files. We lost touch in 2000. However I dont think he was French. If you are him, PM me with your name
Sorry, I am not him, even though I have my own set of tools to decrypt, unpack, split and rejoin the files.

Quote:
For a list of the bugs that have been found (and fixed) check here.

http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/ambermoon/bugs.html

The first few were fixed by the coder of the toolkit, the others by another fan of Ambermoon about a year later.
I've found bugs that are not in that list (or I missed them ):
- sp-stealer spell crash (happened on "beast" and on a morag dragon)
- map view spell while resting gives color palette troubles
- button on the last "unannounced visitors" area (bandit camp) is duplicated
- your horse may disappear if you take a wind door with it
- if you store a lot of identical items (e.g. arrows) in a chest and part of them do not fit, you'll lose the remainder
- in luminor's tower stairs from l3 to l2 gives incorrect party direction
- if you re-explore the space ship after having moved with it, you'll find dirts on the map view
- you may end up blocked when Gadrin closes the door (a jump spell can do the trick)
- after you've killed S'Arin the game stucks on the "oops" music
- if you try to reload the "antique object" you'll end up with a message saying that it's fully charged, even if it's exhausted
- "not enough memory handles available" if you repetitively take your eagle, go down, take it again, enough times
- if you remove a character from the party, don't save before replacing him, or a lot of things will go wrong (you might see riddlemouths everywhere)
- if you make a lot of sales and can't take all the gold (overloaded) you'll lose what you couldn't take without a warning
- you cannot buy anything if you sell things before and end up with more than 32767 gold
- if you examine the paladin you'll see no text even though one is present in the game files
- levitate spell from a scroll gives a nice graphics bug
- "tornaks" area is duplicated, if you kill them all then get an egg you'll see them back
- plants you can get on the forest moon are inoperant (talk to Asrub about "herbs" before)
- some plants on the forest moon can be plucked an infinite number of times (94,218 / 66,277)
- Asrub's brother talks about Dor Grestin when he's interrogated about Dor Kiredon
- when a party characted dies from a trap you'll see death animation twice
- monster can sometimes walk through walls (happens a lot in Gala's temple) - in a similar way guardians in Kire's moon are able to pass flashes (depending on the angle you make with them)
- musics sometimes miss some notes on an accelerated machine (e.g. '030)

(damned, what a long post this was... I'll go to sleep now...)

Last edited by meynaf; 12 November 2007 at 11:17.
Old 19 March 2017, 23:42   #18
retrogamer
Zone Friend

Harry have done a Whdload patch now available for download.

http://www.whdload.de/games/Ambermoon.lha
Old 23 March 2017, 14:18   #19
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Meynafs v1.07e bugfix patch seems to be working fine with WHDLoad.
Get it from my folder on the ftp.
Old 23 March 2017, 20:39   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It's not a real install

"Just a bit of fun"

Which takes up an additional 256KB of RAM for no reason

Last edited by alexh; 23 March 2017 at 21:25.