English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 June 2006, 18:27   #1
CFou!

Buddha Flash Phoenix Edition is an IDE controller for all Zorro based Amigas.

I have some questions about:

Buddha Flash Phoenix Edition

it seems to use idefix but my registered version of idefix don't work with my both 4x Way IDE Buffered Interface

unit 2 & 3 are not found and often i have guru with reset with os3.5 & os3.9 (worked in my memory on 3.1).

if i used a Buddha Flash Phoenix Edition board, can i use os3.9 and 4 ide units?

What is the maximum loading rate ?(3.5 mo/s like Zorro2 port?)

can i use in with blizzard 68030 without tower?
Old 21 June 2006, 18:48   #2
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Send a message via MSN to DoctorQ
Quote:
At the time of writing, the hardware has not yet been released to the public.
Taken from the BBoAH. I was wondering how you would connect a zorro board if you haven't got a tower; aren't you missing the zorro ports or have you gotten a clever solution?
Old 21 June 2006, 20:41   #3
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@DoctorQ
It's been released for the A2/3/4000 at least. There was one on Ebay Australia last week:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=8826510338

AmigaKit, Vesalia, Amiga Superbit and a few others have it listed on their website as well.

I emailed Individual Computers last week about availability of the A500 and A1000 versions, but have received no reply yet. They announced that they were available for order directly from them back in February:

http://www.jschoenfeld.com/news/news111_e.htm

@CFOU!
Your main machine is an A1200 isn't it? If so, then as DoctorQ said, the Buddha Phoenix Edition can't be used on your machine (unless you have a Zorro busboard).

To answer your questions, though, I used to get 1-2Mb/s transfer rates on A2000 and A4000 with an older version of the Buddha controller. Transfer rates depend on a few things like CPU and type of HD. Should be able to use it with OS 3.9 and attach at least 4 IDE devices and IIRC it uses IDEFix.
Old 21 June 2006, 21:12   #4
thomas

The Buddha Phoenix cannot be used in any other computer than the Phoenix.

For use in an Amiga with Zorro slots (i.e. A2/3/4000 or towerized A1200) is the Buddha Flash (not Phoenix).

"Buddha Flash" and "Buddha Flash Phoenix Edition" are two different boards. The Buddha Flash is already available for a long time.

None of the above can be used in a desktop A1200.
Old 22 June 2006, 09:14   #5
Jope
-

I think you must solder a card edge connector to the holes on the PCB in order to use it in the phoenix's front slot.
Old 22 June 2006, 09:18   #6
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
@DoctorQ
It's been released for the A2/3/4000 at least. There was one on Ebay Australia last week:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=8826510338

AmigaKit, Vesalia, Amiga Superbit and a few others have it listed on their website as well.

I emailed Individual Computers last week about availability of the A500 and A1000 versions, but have received no reply yet. They announced that they were available for order directly from them back in February:

http://www.jschoenfeld.com/news/news111_e.htm

@CFOU!
Your main machine is an A1200 isn't it? If so, then as DoctorQ said, the Buddha Phoenix Edition can't be used on your machine (unless you have a Zorro busboard).

To answer your questions, though, I used to get 1-2Mb/s transfer rates on A2000 and A4000 with an older version of the Buddha controller. Transfer rates depend on a few things like CPU and type of HD. Should be able to use it with OS 3.9 and attach at least 4 IDE devices and IIRC it uses IDEFix.
i use a1200+blizzard 030 50mhz+32mo+subway usb
Old 22 June 2006, 09:20   #7
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas

For use in an Amiga with Zorro slots (i.e. A2/3/4000 or towerized A1200) is the Buddha Flash (not Phoenix).

"Buddha Flash" and "Buddha Flash Phoenix Edition" are two different boards. The Buddha Flash is already available for a long time.

ok

I didn't knew amiga 1000 Phoenix board

so a buddha flash can enter in not towered amiga (wth blizzard board)

Last edited by CFou!; 22 June 2006 at 09:42.
Old 22 June 2006, 13:49   #8
amigakit.com

This is not correct, the Buddha Flash Phoenix can be used in normal Zorro Amigas

The Buddha Flash Gold is now discontinued and replaced by the Phoenix edition.
Old 22 June 2006, 14:00   #9
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com
This is not correct, the Buddha Flash Phoenix can be used in normal Zorro Amigas

The Buddha Flash Gold is now discontinued and replaced by the Phoenix edition.
ok great

but:
can i install in my a1200 not towered following devices?
- Buddha Phoenix edition (or FastATA3)
- Blizzard 030 +32 mo
- Subway usb

is FastAta3 only for Zorro3 a1200?
can it be installed in an a1200 not towered with blizzard 030+Subway USB (bought on AmigaKit.com )

what is mainly difference between FastATA3 & Buddha.

Can i used my old HD partitions with FastAta3 without convert format?
And boot on this partitions

With buddha or FastAta3, Can i use again old IDE port to have 6 (or 8) IDE units?

Thanx in advance,

Last edited by CFou!; 22 June 2006 at 14:10.
Old 22 June 2006, 14:12   #10
patrik

@CFOU:
You could always get the best harddrive controller for the A1200 - the BlizzardIV SCSI kit. You can use regular IDE-drives with it by using IDE<->SCSI bridges. I think vesalia sells those bridges for around 40EUR - do a search for "Acard" on their site. Those bridges can even be used with an internal 2.5" harddrive with some tinkering with adapters/cables.

With the SCSI kit you get ~10MB/Sec with no almost no cpu load as the controller moves data to/from the drives from/to memory without utilizing the cpu. All regular IDE-solutions for the A1200 use the cpu to move the data.

Last edited by patrik; 22 June 2006 at 15:33.
Old 22 June 2006, 14:38   #11
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Send a message via MSN to DoctorQ
The FastATA MK3 can be installed in an A1200D, but I don't know if the harddrives can still be there, and with the Subway installed, you might need additional hardware (clock port risers). You will still be limited to 4 devices.

Since you have no Zorro ports, you CAN NOT install any Buddha controllers. With this, you will still be limited to 4 devices IIRC.

There are no Zorro 3 Amiga 1200s, only way to get Zorro 3 on Amiga 1200 is with a MicroniK busboard, and it needs an A4000 accelerator anyway.

As patrik says, the Blizzard SCSI kit could be the best solution, and then have an external case with SCSI harddrives and CD drives.
Old 22 June 2006, 15:52   #12
amigakit.com

The FastATA MKIII is for any Amiga 1200, although desktop owners will have to make some modifications to fit it and the hard disk into the A1200's desktop case. This is because it clips over the two kickstart ROM sockets / Gayle chip so the A1200's upper RF shielding will have to be removed.

As you bought the Subway USB (thanks,btw!), I would re-iterate the comments here, a clockport riser would be needed.

The FastATA MKIII is superior in performance to the Buddha Phoenix Flash but as they are both IDE interfaces, they are non-DMA so they tie up the CPU during large hard disk data transfers. The Phoenix interface is Zorro II so ZII slots would be needed in an A1200T or other big box Amiga.

As correctly pointed out here, the Blizzard SCSI Kit is a DMA interface so it can operate independently from the CPU leaving the CPU to do other tasks. It also provides another useful SIMM socket.
Old 22 June 2006, 16:49   #13
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com
As correctly pointed out here, the Blizzard SCSI Kit is a DMA interface so it can operate independently from the CPU leaving the CPU to do other tasks. It also provides another useful SIMM socket.
yes, but you need SCSI Devices.... what is the maxi real loading rate on 68030 with a good SCSI Hard Drive?
Old 22 June 2006, 17:08   #14
patrik

@CFOU:

Nope, you don't need SCSI drives. As I wrote in my earlier post, you can buy Acard IDE<->SCSI bridges from Vesalia for some 40EUR or something.

Also you will get ~10MB/Sec with almost no cpuload with the SCSI kit. It uses DMA to shuffle disk data to/from ram so it is independent of cpu speed.
Old 22 June 2006, 18:02   #15
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik
@CFOU:

Nope, you don't need SCSI drives. As I wrote in my earlier post, you can buy Acard IDE<->SCSI bridges from Vesalia for some 40EUR or something.

Also you will get ~10MB/Sec with almost no cpuload with the SCSI kit. It uses DMA to shuffle disk data to/from ram so it is independent of cpu speed.

great, i don't know this adaptator
Old 22 June 2006, 18:50   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas

Jens will be surprised to hear this (as will the Amiga dealers advertising them on their websites). He has just replied to the email enquiry I made last week and has said that the Buddha Flash Phoenix edition is currently available for A1000 (with Phoenix motherboard; directly from him) and A2/3/4000 (Z2 version). The A500 version has been delayed because of the new A600 accelerator that he is about to release.

I'm guessing the reason they're all called Buddha Flash Phoenix cards is because they all use the same base board as the A1000 Phoenix version, which was created first. At least this is what Jens said about the unreleased A500 version.

@CFOU
Patrik's suggestion is a good one. The IDE<->SCSI bridges will give you much greater speed with a decent modern HD.