English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 December 2012, 15:13   #1
Yachmenev

Amiga CD32 won´t boot

I´ve had an Amiga CD32 since the release, which I used from time to time to play some old classics on. It started behaving a bit odd a couple of years ago, where it started to take some time to boot up, and now it completely refuses to boot up.

When I start it, the power light is lit, and the display on the tv is changed from completely black to a slightly lighter tone of black. But it doesn´t proceed from there to the cd32 bootup screen, and it doesn´t check after discs at all. There is no difference between starting it with a disc or without a disc, and the reset button doesn´t seem to anything.

Anyone recognize this problem? Is everything completely lost and I better off looking for a new on ebay/similiar sites?

Old 15 December 2012, 15:25   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi, I would suggest change the capacitors - they are known to leak on CD32's

If you can't do the job there are a few users on Amibay or maybe even here that can help
Old 15 December 2012, 15:56   #3
Hewitson

First thing I would do is check the power supply is outputting the correct voltages.
Old 15 December 2012, 15:58   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
First thing I would do is check the power supply is outputting the correct voltages.
Good advice, always start with the simple things
Old 17 December 2012, 17:42   #5
other_reality

Hey, I've got the same problem. I actually posted a thread, just yesterday, as I didn't notice yours. It seems to be an odd problem, as I have already changed all the caps inside the motherboard, and measured the voltages on both the PSU and the filter circuits inside. I only managed to get it to boot after waiting for a long time, I have downloaded the schematics which could also be useful to you, if you can read such tech diagrams that is.

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/download...schematics.pdf

One thing I noticed, is the two reverse capacitors, which were wrongly placed by Commodore in the first place. I replaced them with the correct orientation, still with no success. I also measured the PSU's voltage, both in idle and in load conditions, getting 12v in both cases which should be right. As a final thing, i detached the cd-rom in case it was conflicting with aything. I am thinking it could be a case of CPU or even the Kickstart, which are replaceable, but there's no way for me to really determine which one of them could be the issue.

Anyway, good luck with yours, I'll keep posting if I manage to find a solution !