English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 August 2001, 01:12   #1
Amiga1992

Unhappy Desperate cry for help! :(

I was just playing some games on my miggy, and suddeny my 1084 went OFF and a high pitched noise came out from it (see file attached if you want). The poor thing died on me. Now everytime I turn it on the power light doesn't come up, and the noise appears, then slowly pitches down when I shut it off...

Ive seen no smoke or anything pouring from it, and as a matter of fact, the monitor was not heated up enough to be burned (I've seen it hotter before).

Does anyone have a cue what might be wrong with it? Is it serious? PLEASE let me know, I am desperate, I love this monitor so much, and it's the only way for me to use my miggy!

Thanks,
Old 27 August 2001, 01:13   #2
Amiga1992

Blargh, attachment size limit too short
Old 27 August 2001, 01:26   #3
Drake1009

I remember the exact same problem. I bought a used A500 with monitor, I'm sure you've heard it all before. 1 hour after arrival at my home it did that exact thing. Since I've never been any good at electronics I had to seperate myself from the screen again and thus stop using the precious Amiga until I got my A1200.

I don't know what happened to it. Even though I know nothing about electronics I still looked into the monitor. Of course I didn't see anything, but I'm guessing it was the power supply which broke. That's also my brother's guess, and he knows a bit more about it.

If it's the power supply and you're lucky you might get it working again with a replacement. If you're unlucky the wrong voltage might've ruined something in the monitor.
Old 27 August 2001, 02:16   #4
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL. The tube can hold a charge for a long, long time. If you take a jolt from it, you'll be LUCKY to just piss your pants. It can be very, very lethal. If you poke around in there, be sure to ground whatever tools you use.

At the top of the tube is something called the "yoke", or what I like to call it, "evil shocky death hole". It looks like a suction cup attached to the top of the tube. To discharge the tube, take a steel flathead screwdriver with a non-conductive handle (plastic, rubber- avoid wood handles for this) and affix a wire with a reasonable gauge directly to the metal part of the screwdriver (Alligator clip works well). Affix the other end of the wire to a safe ground. Lift the suction-cup thingy up enough to slide the blade of the screwdriver undernieth. Be aware that when you do this, the discharge CAN make a loud noise much like a shotgun blast, but this is rare (It has never happened to me). The monitor will now be discharged and reasonably safe to work with.

Next thing to do would be to check for obviously burned components. You may want to remove the circuit board(s) and examine its underside to look for scorchmarks.

Again, I hate to harp on this safety thing, but be careful. I took a blast from a DISCHARGED monitor that nearly made me lose control of my... functions.

If you have any questions, let me know. I can take my monitor out of storage and disassemble it if you need precise instructions.

Good luck.
Old 27 August 2001, 03:01   #5
Amiga1992

Well, I definitely do not feel confident enough to open no screen. I Can open up a computer, but not a screen.

Anyway, do you think that taking it to a TV repairman would help? I have the schematics and all... I also think is a PSU problem... However, Overdoc (who had the very same problem weeks ago) said it could also bea dead flyback transformer, and I heard that if this is the case, I am in for a treat, since nobody has them.

He also said that since the power light doesn't come up, the normal low or high power PSU might be what has died , and it could be repaired orreplaced rather easily....

What do you think APFelon?
Old 27 August 2001, 03:07   #6
Shadowfire

Umm... well, in contrast to the last poster, I will definitely advise you to *NOT* open up your monitor, unless you have a good grasp of electronics. IF you don't know what you're doing, the odds of you fixing the problem are nonexistent -- you've already ruled out a blown fuse or power switch, which is basically the only things I would suggest a novice replace. Your best bet is to take it down to your local TV repair shop, or to someone who has some experience repairing TVs or monitors.

That warning aside, I did have a 1084S that had your exact symptoms, and the problem turned out to be the power switch.
Old 27 August 2001, 05:40   #7
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Shadowfire is right...

A repair shop is the best option, really... For some reason I was under the impression that a repair shop wasn't an option...? After re-reading the thread, I don't know why I came to that conclusion.
Old 27 August 2001, 14:07   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I have fixed some monitors (It is just a hobby, I am not elecrical engineer) Most problems are quite easy to fix like bad solder joints. Just keep your hands of high voltage lead and/or discharge tube! http://www.repairfaq.org is good source of repair information.

High pitched whine from switch mode power supply usually means overload/short circuit somewhere, usually shorted horizontal output transistor. (Power supply is usually fine)

TV repair shop surely can fix it because 1081/1084 is nothing more than a TV without tuner.
Old 27 August 2001, 14:17   #9
icycool
Banned

Sounds like the HV Transformer is shot, or one of the powersupply units around it.
Old 27 August 2001, 17:41   #10
Amiga1992

Thanks a lot for all your help. So you guys think it is not the flyback?

I will take it to a TV repairman ASAP, with the schematics and your suggestions. I need the monitor sooo much.

Thanks again
Old 29 August 2001, 01:59   #11
Shadowfire

Well, if it was some plastic component, (like the flyback transformer, a diode, or transistor), and it died while you were there sitting in front of it, you *would* have smelled something pretty awful.

'I love the smell of burnt plastic!'
Old 29 August 2001, 19:42   #12
Amiga1992

Hmm. no, I havent smelled that cat pish smell you get when those components get burned And I didn't see any smoke either.