English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 February 2003, 17:09   #1
Peter Leyland

Sorry an Error has occured

http://www.sthelensphotographs.co.uk/Sorry.jpg

Hello all you good decent kind and very helpful peeps, I'm here again with another door kicking, table thumping, head banging amiga problem.
I'm trying to install Cannon Fodder 1 using the installer found on Aminet, but this it the error I keep getting.

This also occurs with 'some' other games I have tried to install.

It says its unable to find it, yet it creates its own drawer when I point it to my Games partition....

Any takers

Thanx in adavnce.

Old 24 February 2003, 17:14   #2
Echo

I had a fair few hassles when installing/playing this from HD, but it's all sorted now. I'll upload the folder to the zone for you

Edit: Done.
Old 24 February 2003, 17:23   #3
Peter Leyland

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
I had a fair few hassles when installing/playing this from HD, but it's all sorted now. I'll upload the folder to the zone for you

Edit: Done.
Thankyou, but what and where is the zone?

EDIT.....Its OK I've found it...Cheers

Old 24 February 2003, 22:28   #4
Peter Leyland

http://www.sthelensphotographs.co.uk/DosError.jpg

http://www.sthelensphotographs.co.uk/DosError.jpg

I know I'm a nuisance but I have copied everything that was uploaded in the zone into a folder on my 1200. I had to keep getting the files off my PC in parts via 720k formatted disks (until I get sorted with a scsi cd and pcmcia interface). Anyway I now have them all on the miggy and I get the message in the link above. What am I doing wrong?

Old 24 February 2003, 22:38   #5
Echo

Crossdos (prior to v7) truncates characters to 8.3, so your cf.slave might well now be called cf.sla - check for the file inside that directory and rename if appropriate.

Hopefully you'll get away with the rest, because I've checked the zip and everything inside the cf_data directory adheres to the 8.3 limit.

You might want to rename the game icon back to CannonFodder to be sure.

In future, I'd recommend you LHA or ZIP stuff prior to sending over crossdos. Then when you extract on the Amiga side, all filenames will be preserved. Plus you'll squeeze that little bit extra on those horrible little disks!

You can get an unzip utility from Aminet, it's probably easier to use this format as Winzip is a nice quick util to zip stuff up.

Hope that helps
Old 24 February 2003, 22:42   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Your problem seems to be MS-DOS filenames. In both of your pictures, the filenames seem to be truncated to PC-DOS standards (in the first image, your Installer is named INSTAL~1; in the second pic, all files in the CannonFodder1 dir seem to have the PC disease of all uppercase, 8+3, and the classic ~1 truncation value used by Windows to maintain it's longfilenames).

You must be transferring your files in zips, or extracted from their lha/lzx source before they get to the Amiga end or something. Only expand these archived files once they are safely on the Amiga. It seems that the file cf.slave will never be found since it's probably now named CF~1.SLA

EDIT: D'oh! Echo beat me to it (sigh)...
Old 24 February 2003, 22:50   #7
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Peter: Off topic, but I really like your St. Helens photographs showing the then and now... It must have taken some work to locate each place.
Old 24 February 2003, 22:59   #8
Peter Leyland

Well it seems that the best thing is to wait till I can get the files over via a cd rom. I'm beginning to see exactly where you are coming from now.
The thing is that I have a scsi cd rom and squirrel but the pcmcia slot pins are useless. I have been on Ebay to try and get a nice 1200 but there was always someone to beat me to a bargain. It was very infuriating last night as there was a 1200 bidding at £26 and then at the very last 10 seconds as the bid was ending someone slithered in which I thought was a slimy trick and snatched it from me.......

I would be happy with a 1200 motherboard if anyone out there has one. I'm willing to travel maybe 100 miles. I'm in St. Helens.

Old 24 February 2003, 23:05   #9
Peter Leyland

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Peter: Off topic, but I really like your St. Helens photographs showing the then and now... It must have taken some work to locate each place.
Yes, it is time consuming, but I really enjoy it. I have permission to go up to the very top of another local church tower one day this week, so I hope I get a nice day. By the way if you go into the 'About me' part, the big Russian tank is for sale if anyone wants to buy it.....
This is where I restore a lot of old WW2 vehicles and spend a lot of time messing about when I'm not on my compies.....

http://www.britishmilitaryvehicles.co.uk

I would just like to say that I built the 3.7 Anti Aircraft Gun from scrap. I have many pics of its restoration. But I'm mainly an engine loving guy especially big 27 litre RR engines. I started messing about with engines when I was 8, so I've been at it now for 44 years.

Last edited by Peter Leyland; 24 February 2003 at 23:12.

Old 24 February 2003, 23:28   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I haven't been in any WW2 army vehicles, but I've travelled in more recent naval ones - a Sea King helicopter (sitting opposite the open door as it banks is an experience!) and on the RFA Argus (a huge ship).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navy.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	4774  
Old 24 February 2003, 23:37   #11
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

This too. HMS Victory, Nelson's flagship.

I went through the back door to visit someone - it contains offices and computers now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	victory.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	4775  
Old 24 February 2003, 23:49   #12
Peter Leyland

I've never been in a helicopter in my life but have been on ship or two. I went inside that German Uboat on the Wirral, it was a memorable experience..........

Old 25 February 2003, 00:28   #13
Peter Leyland

Cannon Invinsibility

BTW Has anyone ever known that CFodder invisibility to work?

Your suppose to type 'wellhard'. Its never worked for me even with the proper original disks.

Old 25 February 2003, 00:52   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Flip-flopping on/off-topic here...thanks Cody, for bringing up Peter's site. Brilliant stuff...when I get home, I shall peruse the entire site.
Old 25 February 2003, 01:56   #15
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Leyland
BTW Has anyone ever known that CFodder invisibility to work?
Your suppose to type 'wellhard'. Its never worked for me even with the proper original disks.
The "cheat" is not for invincibility but it gives your main guy the highest rank which is four stars. This gives him greater range with his gun and maybe some other little advantages. I think he runs a bit quicker as well. You need to type the name "JOOLS" on the save game screen. Type this as the name of your save game and the words "Cheat Mode Activated" will appear. Have fun!

PS. I'd love to come and have a look at some of your tanks one day when I'm not busy. Tanks rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Flip-flopping on/off-topic here...thanks Cody, for bringing up Peter's site. Brilliant stuff...when I get home, I shall peruse the entire site.
Yes the pictures are very good. They're even more intersting to me because I can spot places I've been and see what St Helens used to look like. Brilliant site Peter.
Old 25 February 2003, 02:28   #16
Peter Leyland

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
The "cheat" is not for invincibility but it gives your main guy the highest rank which is four stars. This gives him greater range with his gun and maybe some other little advantages. I think he runs a bit quicker as well. You need to type the name "JOOLS" on the save game screen. Type this as the name of your save game and the words "Cheat Mode Activated" will appear. Have fun!

PS. I'd love to come and have a look at some of your tanks one day when I'm not busy. Tanks rule!

Yes the pictures are very good. They're even more intersting to me because I can spot places I've been and see what St Helens used to look like. Brilliant site Peter.
Yeah, I did the jools one and got my 4 star general, but there is another cheat explained also, and your supposed to type in 'wellhard' whilst in gameplay and it says that you cannot get hurt. But this never seems to work for me.

Let me know when you have a day off and I will take you down to see the armoured vehicles. Or just simply go down and say I sent you to view the vehicles. But let me know first and I will tell him your going, not that it matters, but it will look more welcoming for you. But if you'd rather me be there; then no probs.