English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 15 November 2012, 20:10   #1
jani-matti

Possibility to configure the location of the FS-UAE folder

Hi,
I was just wondering if it would be possible to make the location of the FS-UAE folder configurable. It's currently hardcoded to ~/FS-UAE on Linux and it kinda screws up the organisation in my home folder. (I've got a huge amount of files in different projects so it's rather critical for me to keep it organised)

I know it's probably not a feature that many users need, but I'd sure appreciate it. IMHO there's really no need even to include a GUI for it. I'd be more that happy to just define it in a config file in e.g. ~/.config/fs-uae

Old 15 November 2012, 20:24   #2
jani-matti

Found the earlier post that mentioned the ~/.config/fs-uae/fs-uae.conf file so problem solved.

Old 15 November 2012, 20:24   #3
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, there are several ways to do this. You can start fs-uae like this:
Code:
fs-uae --base-dir=/path/to/FS-UAE
This also works for the launcher:
Code:
fs-uae-launcher --base-dir=/path/to/FS-UAE
Alternatively, FS-UAE also looks for a config file before it looks for Default.fs-uae:
Code:
~/.config/fs-uae/fs-uae.conf
and in this you can put base_dir=/path/to/FS-UAE, but this only works if you don't explicitly load other configuration files.
Old 17 November 2012, 18:27   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Additional feature implemented for the upcoming 2.1.4: You can also specify the directory with the environment variable FS_UAE_BASE_DIR. Both FS-UAE and FS-UAE Launcher will respect this if it is set.

EDIT: Documentation at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/paths is updated with current information.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 17 November 2012 at 18:44.
Old 25 November 2012, 17:12   #5
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

Hi, any chance of (instructions for dummies regarding this)
I have tried everything listed EG: base_dir and FS_UAE_BASE_DIR in .config/fs-uae/fs-uae.conf

But /documents/fs-uae is still being defaulted to.

I would like to set the default folder as /home/davemb/Amiga (whilst retaining the default folder layout)

I can't for the life of me figure this out after several hours of banging my head on my keyboard

Last edited by DaveMB; 25 November 2012 at 17:20.
Old 25 November 2012, 17:17   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS_UAE_BASE_DIR is an environment variable, so you can use it like this. Open a terminal and write:
Code:
export FS_UAE_BASE_DIR=/home/davemb/Amiga
and then run fs-uae or fs-launcher from the the *same* terminal.

To set this variable "permanently", open ~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile (whichever you have) in a text editor, and add the following line to the end of the file:
Code:
This change will only be applied when you log out and in again, and then FS-UAE and FS-UAE Launcer will find the FS_UAE_BASE_DIR variable whether it is launched from a terminal or from desktop menus-
Old 25 November 2012, 17:50   #7
DaveMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
FS_UAE_BASE_DIR is an environment variable, so you can use it like this. Open a terminal and write:
Code:
and then run fs-uae or fs-launcher from the the *same* terminal.

To set this variable "permanently", open ~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile (whichever you have) in a text editor, and add the following line to the end of the file:
Code:
This change will only be applied when you log out and in again, and then FS-UAE and FS-UAE Launcer will find the FS_UAE_BASE_DIR variable whether it is launched from a terminal or from desktop menus-
Sorted, Thanks again
Old 26 November 2012, 16:33   #8
DaveMB

actually not sorted, since moving this directory i am getting the following error (see attachment).

this happens no matter what adf i use and i'm not sure why it says "no such file" at the bottom as there certainly is a file there

I posted this here rather than start a new thread as I believe it is related to moving the base_dir (but probably not lol)

Edit: Updated to 2.1.5 (problem still there)

Edit 2: Narrowed this down a bit. The error only occurs when trying to load files from the 'Floppies' folder.

Inside my Floppies folder I have the following structure.

/Demos/~Various Demogroups (folders titled with the groups name)
/Games/Tosec/0-9 and A through to Z
/Games/Gamebase/0-9 and A through to Z

Basically trying to load any file from within the Floppies folder causes this error, I can move the Games/Demos folders out of Floppies and into my Home folder and the problem is solved, But I would prefer them to be in the Floppies folder as I'm a neat freak lol

Edit 3:It seems that the Floppies folder just doesn't like having files stored in it, I can literally put my adf's anywhere (even inside the configuration folder) and they work fine, but put them in the Floppies folder and I get that error.

Edit 4: (last one I promise ) It seems that I can use disks from the Floppies folder....as long as they are not compressed, All of the other folders don't care but the Floppies folder insists on the files being in .adf format.

Is it just me being dumb and misunderstanding the purpose of the Floppies folder?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2012-11-26 15:22:49.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	33276  

Last edited by DaveMB; 26 November 2012 at 18:07.
Old 26 November 2012, 18:19   #9
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, I have investigated - and managed to reproduce the problem based on your error report. It only occurs when the Launcher references floppy images inside archives (such as zip files) and the zip file is located under the floppies folder.

And no, you haven't misunderstood the purpose of the Floppies folder! I will fix the problem for 2.1.6.

(It has nothing to do with the base dir relocation feature btw, as you suspected )
Old 26 November 2012, 18:32   #10
DaveMB

Quote:
Hi, I have investigated - and managed to reproduce the problem based on your error report. It only occurs when the Launcher references floppy images inside archives (such as zip files) and the zip file is located under the floppies folder.

And no, you haven't misunderstood the purpose of the Floppies folder! I will fix the problem for 2.1.6.

(It has nothing to do with the base dir relocation feature btw, as you suspected )
Excellent.
Old 29 November 2012, 20:33   #11
DaveMB

I have set up a dual boot /Win 7/ubuntu system as it turns out I need Win 7 for certain things....anyway....

At the risk of appearing dumb (I'm really not, Honest )

I need the same advice regarding Windows...

I need to move the base_dir to D:/Emulation/Amiga And hate to ask the same question again but I simply can't figure it out
Old 29 November 2012, 21:55   #12
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

You can set up environment variables on Windows as well, but it's hidden a bit away. You have to open properties for "My Computer", go to the "Advanced" tab, and click on Environment variables. There you can insert FS_UAE_BASE_DIR=D:\Emulation\Amiga;

You may need to log out/in again for this to apply. Alternatively, you can try the portable support in FS-UAE (Launcher) http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66820, but you must then use the non-installer/zip version of FS-UAE.
Old 29 November 2012, 22:29   #13
DaveMB

Quote:
You have to open properties for "My Computer", go to the "Advanced" tab, and click on Environment variables. There you can insert FS_UAE_BASE_DIR=D:\Emulation\Amiga;
Job done Thank you