English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 25 August 2014, 20:16   #1
Leffmann

Sensible volume names for ADF as HD

When mounting an ADF as an HD, would it be possible to give it the same volume name as the disk, instead of the actual name of the ADF file?

I just installed Workbench 3.1 and BetterWB, and swapping the disks is tedious, but if you could just drop all 10 disks into the hard drives and have them mount with their actual volume names, then you could run through the whole installation nice and fast.

Also, would it be possible to have the debugger display the actual instruction that causes a break, instead of the next one? The debugger always displays the next instruction to execute, which is inconvenient because you have to step back 2 bytes at a time until you see the instruction that actually caused the break, and if it was a branch then you have no idea where it came from.
Old 26 August 2014, 08:37   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
When mounting an ADF as an HD, would it be possible to give it the same volume name as the disk, instead of the actual name of the ADF file?
Because there are ADFs that look like they are OFS formatted but actually are track loading, root directory is bogus with strange volume name.

EDIT: Or maybe it was some other reason because this does not seem to be good enough reason..

Quote:
Also, would it be possible to have the debugger display the actual instruction that causes a break, instead of the next one? The debugger always displays the next instruction to execute, which is inconvenient because you have to step back 2 bytes at a time until you see the instruction that actually caused the break, and if it was a branch then you have no idea where it came from.
It does not know nothing about previous instruction unless any break point was active and in that case you can also use H command to see last 10 (or more) previous instruction(s).

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 26 August 2014 at 10:17.
Old 26 August 2014, 11:28   #3
thomas

Quote:
I just installed Workbench 3.1 and BetterWB, and swapping the disks is tedious, but if you could just drop all 10 disks into the hard drives
Just download the full LHA archive of BetterWB. No need to deal with ADFs.

Workbench consists of 6 ADFs. With 4 drives you need exactly one disk swap during installation. (At first insert Install, Locale, Workbench and Extras. When it asks for Fonts remove Workbench and Extras and insert Fonts and Storage instead.)
Old 26 August 2014, 18:57   #4
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Because there are ADFs that look like they are OFS formatted but actually are track loading, root directory is bogus with strange volume name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Just download the full LHA archive of BetterWB. No need to deal with ADFs.

Workbench consists of 6 ADFs. With 4 drives you need exactly one disk swap during installation. (At first insert Install, Locale, Workbench and Extras. When it asks for Fonts remove Workbench and Extras and insert Fonts and Storage instead.)
Thanks, I didn't know about that LHA archive, though WB+BetterWB was just an example. It could be any software residing on disks that look for specific volume names. You could set 800% floppy speed in the emulator, but sometimes this causes read errors, even in cycle-exact mode with AmigaDOS disks.

If the root-block and the bitmap of the ADF could be verified to be good, and the volume name only consists of alpha-numeric characters, then that name should be fine to mount with I think. Would it be possible to at least remove the .ADF extension from the volume name? That way you could at least rename the ADF files to get the same result.
Old 27 August 2014, 09:39   #5
thomas

Quote:
You could set 800% floppy speed in the emulator, but sometimes this causes read errors, even in cycle-exact mode with AmigaDOS disks.
Well, it does never give read errors without cycle-exact. I just don't get why people like that c-e thing so much. It is for problematic games and demos only. For normal work fastest possible, JIT, floppy speed turbo and many other performance options are better and make work just fun.
Old 27 August 2014, 21:25   #6
Leffmann

Yes I agree, I just meant to say that if it happens in CE mode, being the more correct emulation model, then it will probably also happen when CE is disabled and JIT is enabled.

But do you think giving AmigaDOS formatted ADF its correct name makes no sense? At least in this regard I consider ADFs and HDFs to be the same; they are both AmigaDOS volumes, and I would just expect both of them to appear with their correct names.