English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 January 2012, 18:30   #1
diablothe2nd

A plan to relive the Magazine & Coverdisk days

Preamble:

At some stage I'd like to step back through time and relive the magic of going to the newsagents once a month to buy an amiga mag

I used to only get £5 a month pocket money, so I had to choose my Magazine wisely.

the three magazines I bought most commonly were CU Amiga, Amiga Format and very occasionally Amiga Action. As always, my decision depended on what disks were on the cover.

I've already ordered the CU Amiga DVD from Mort. I'd very much like a compilation of disks/cd's of the other two also. So if you know of them, please send a link

The Plan:

Once per month I'll be allowed to choose from the three magazines that ran in print in the same month we are in today, starting from January 1992. So next month I'll have February 1992's prints to choose from, and so on.

The Aim:

To see how different my choices will be in comparison to what really happened at the time. At the time I only had an A600. No CD drive either. So that played a major part in my choice. Now that I have a real A1200 with 060, obviously that choice problem is no longer there.

What's in it for me?:

I want to relive that magic (and hard choices!) i had when making my purchase and running home as fast as i could to put the disks in the drive

I want to play all those games/demos/apps that i missed through not having a A1200 at the time.

It gives me something cool to look forward to every month, like it did back in the day

What's in it for you?:

I'm thinking of doing a blog... or maybe a thread i'll update each month to share the memories and experiences anew.
Also, you could join in! we could share our experiences and reasons for choosing the mags we did. Share the stuff we did with the free applications.. Or the highscores of the demo/games... or even any custom levels we've made.

The Rules:

We're allowed to choose ONLY ONE magazine per month, and can only make that decision from the front cover and contents page. Screenshots of the coverdisks can be viewed should they not be visible on the cover/contents page of the magazine.

We'll only be allowed to use the adf's/CD images of that month's magazine should we choose it. We wont be allowed to use the images of the other magazines we've not chosen.

Use of Coverdisks and CD's MUST be carried out on a REAL amiga... for added nostalgia/reminiscence and difficulty in choosing the magazine because of your hardware. Exceptions given to people that have no Amiga of course.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Here are mine:
Obviously getting hold of every page of some of these mags could be difficult given that we'll be relying on AMR and other sources, but really its more about the coverdisks and sharing our experiences

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 10 January 2012 at 19:05.
Old 10 January 2012, 21:58   #2
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

So us guys who dont have an Amiga now are excluded from ur experiment?
It would be interesting If Eab members could produce an online mag with cover disk ADF/ISO's to maybe re-ignite Nostalgia.
Old 10 January 2012, 22:10   #3
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Use of Coverdisks and CD's MUST be carried out on a REAL amiga... for added nostalgia/reminiscence and difficulty in choosing the magazine because of your hardware. Exceptions given to people that have no Amiga of course.
we've already got the eab vs lemon games competitions. wonder if we can tap into that?
Old 11 January 2012, 15:51   #4
diablothe2nd

OK, today my DVD of CU Amiga arrived from Mort (thanks mate!). I also have been led to believe by a moderator that Mort has himself allowed you guys to use the images for AMR.

Would there be any objection if i made a PDF of the pages of an issue, to be released here for the people that want to participate in this event/challenge/experiement? on a month by month basis? I'm personally volunteering to clean up and straighten the images while i'm at it although it does mean i'll inadvertantly end up reading them too! so i guess i'll have to restrict myself only on the ADF images :P

I'm also looking for all missing pages of the January 1992 Amiga Format and Amiga Action for AMR.

perhaps this event/challenge/experiment could serve as a slow and steady way of improving AMR? or at least giving people a downloadable PDF which can easily be read on tablets/phones etc which can later be added to AMR? now there's a thought
Old 11 January 2012, 20:08   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

PDFs are a hassle when you just want to link a game from HOL/Lemon to a single scan from a page, hence we've gone the JPG route with a pic per page. If you could save them as JPGs as you go, we can use them. AMR can't use PDFs sorry.
Old 11 January 2012, 20:10   #6
diablothe2nd

yeah i'm keeping them separate specficially for that reason

wont you ever do a separate pdf for people to download and flick through at their leisure? that would suck if not.
Old 11 January 2012, 20:23   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

You're my kind of a nostalgic nutter, I love the idea.

Did the same thing many times, most magz I still got in paper form, but a huge archive of Polish magz is on the RetroReaders site.
Old 11 January 2012, 20:28   #8
diablothe2nd

I'm currently 25% the way through rotating, cropping, despeckling, and removing the yellowing of all 200 odd pages of the January 92 CU Amiga.

At full pelt i reckon i could get a magazine a day done

I've also created a page missing, err.. page :P (attached)

and a page before the front page for floppy disk downloading, which also serves to put the pages the correct way when viewing them as a double page spread as you would a real magazine. (pic also attached) i know the disks are the same, it's a concept i was running with, shall update later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
You're my kind of a nostalgic nutter, I love the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	30336   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	30337  
Old 12 January 2012, 02:15   #9
Djay
95th User

once the winning mag is announced maybe we could comment of the coverdisk programs/games/content?
Old 12 January 2012, 11:27   #10
diablothe2nd

when you say winning mag, do you mean your choice of magazine?

we can all chose which one we want, but only one

and yes, sharing comments etc I think would be the most interesting bit
Old 06 November 2012, 12:41   #11
diablothe2nd

Without meaning to bring up an old thread, I'd like to update this.

I've begun collecting real cu and format mags from 1992 onwards. I'm only 8 short of every Cu mag from 1995 onwards, but from 92 to 94 i'm quite lacking. i've not properly started on Amiga Format yet.

so yeah i like alot of us will have to rely on scanned images. i'm trying to find amiga format and action on DVD somewhere so we can get this ball rolling, if people are still interested.

also, perhaps we should start from a different date? perhaps 1990?