English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 March 2014, 12:29   #21
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perersavo View Post
If anyone here still has old amiga mags and finds one with a readers gallery then the pictures that were printed were of Sylvester Stallone with a USA flag draped over him and one of Arnold Swarzenegger. Naff I know but we were young.
You might be partially in luck. Check out page 82, is either ADE or Lee Barker your brother? Amiga Action issue 6 (March 1990). If so, there's no Stallone pic, but a couple of Arnie pics.

Last edited by Codetapper; 25 March 2014 at 04:22.
Old 24 March 2014, 13:57   #22
chocolate_boy

Loads of full issues of old computer mags here and they're downloadable as PDF

https://archive.org/details/computermagazines

Including several issues of Amiga Action

https://archive.org/details/amigaaction
Old 25 March 2014, 21:59   #23
perersavo

@codetapper. No thats not it! I can't believe this lol. My brothers name is James Savage and his picture of Arnie is from the film Predator.

It's good news tho because it proves my memory is right and Amiga Action does have a readers gallery. I've recently bought issue 10 off ebay and that has no gallery at all!

It mustn't be in every month?

Btw thanks everyone. I'm humbled.

Last edited by perersavo; 25 March 2014 at 22:08.

Old 27 March 2014, 22:54   #24
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

I can't believe we've failed you this is very unusual.

We need more clues regarding the date. Do you remember what the big game releases were around that time? Or films?
Old 27 March 2014, 23:59   #25
Codetapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 1 View Post

We need more clues regarding the date. Do you remember what the big game releases were around that time? Or films?
The problem is that nobody seems to have Amiga Action magazines, particularly the first dozen issues which is when it's likely the Gallery section existed. If I had the mags, I'd scan them - but I don't

If anybody does own them and wants to scan them (or send them to me) then the Amiga Mag Rack would happily accept them!
Old 28 March 2014, 00:30   #26
perersavo

Ok guys here's where I am with my research,

I've established that Amiga Action ran a readers gallery in the early issues. Ive read all the scans and there is no gallery after issue 15. Ive bought issues 5 and 6 off ebay and they do have a gallery, just not the one I'm looking for.

So discounting issue 1, because people can't send pictures to the gallery before the magazine came out!

And discounting issues 5 and 6 which I own.

Then the gallery I'm looking for must be in issue 2,3,4,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 or 14. So all I've got to do is start buying! Problem is a quick look at ebay and amazon shows that there aren't many around.

So if you guys see any low number issues of Amiga Action for sale I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Thanks.

Old 28 March 2014, 04:57   #27
Codetapper

You might save some money and isolate the correct magazine by this method...

DrBong (one of the HOL and AMR mods) owns issues 1, 4-5, 7-12, and 15-26 of Amiga Action.
Galaxy (non active AMR mod) owns every issue from 10-53.

I would send a PM and/or email asking if they have ready access to the magazines to look through those isolate the correct issue for you.

Incidentally, if anybody else has a large collection of Amiga magazine issues and wants to catalogue them, I can create a login on the Amiga Mag Rack. Then it's a matter of choosing each magazine in turn and putting a tickbox next to every issue in the list and hitting save. At the top of each issue it then tells other mods who owns that particular issue. I certainly wouldn't mind giving any other people access to that if they are willing to help out, especially if we find people with mags that have not been catalogued or scanned.
Old 29 March 2014, 19:21   #28
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
If anyone here still has old amiga mags and finds one with a readers gallery then the pictures that were printed were of Sylvester Stallone with a USA flag draped over him and one of Arnold Swarzenegger.

I've established that Amiga Action ran a readers gallery in the early issues.

....the gallery I'm looking for must be in issue 2,3,4,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 or 14. So all I've got to do is start buying!
Codetapper emailed me about your post. The mag you're after is Amiga Action 8 (May 90). The Reader Gallery is on p60 and your bro had two pics (RoboCop, Predator Arnie) published under the handle Savo. There was no Sylvester Stallone pic to speak of, though.

I'm happy to provide a scan, but it sounds like you'd actually like a copy of the mag to give to your bro. Yay or nay?

Quote:
Ye of little faith!
Old 30 March 2014, 14:23   #29
rogersyd

The knowledge, kindness, and helpful attitude of this board's members always amazes me. You have found the needle in the haystack.
Old 30 March 2014, 22:23   #30
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Codetapper emailed me about your post. The mag you're after is Amiga Action 8 (May 90). The Reader Gallery is on p60 and your bro had two pics (RoboCop, Predator Arnie) published under the handle Savo. There was no Sylvester Stallone pic to speak of, though.

I'm happy to provide a scan, but it sounds like you'd actually like a copy of the mag to give to your bro. Yay or nay?

Ye of little faith!
LOL I knew you'd do it good on you !

Can we all see the scan please?
Old 30 March 2014, 22:25   #31
Simmo76

Quote:
Can we all see the scan please?
Seconded!
Would like to see the artwork that inspired this thread please.
Old 31 March 2014, 19:14   #32
perersavo

Ahhh guys. I can't believe you've found it! I'm so bloody happy!

Thankyou DrBong and anyone else who has been trying to find this magazine for me. Special thanks to Codetapper.

I remember now, we sent in pictures of Stallone, Swarzenegger and Robocop. The Stallone pic didn't get printed.

So my mission now is to find an issue 8 for sale but in the meantime could one of you beautiful people put a scan up please?

I'm nervous to see them lol, its been 20 odd years.

I can't put into words how much I appreciate your efforts. Its a great forum you've got going here and I'm staying around.

Thank You.

Old 01 April 2014, 10:30   #33
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersyd View Post
The knowledge, kindness, and helpful attitude of this board's members always amazes me. You have found the needle in the haystack.
It's true, very true.

I think this is the time to get Issue 8 scanned and put on the rack
Old 01 April 2014, 14:40   #34
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
LOL I knew you'd do it good on you !
Cough, cough....<bullshit>.....cough, cough!!!

Quote:
Ahhh guys. I can't believe you've found it! I'm so bloody happy!

Thankyou DrBong and anyone else who has been trying to find this magazine for me. Special thanks to Codetapper.

I remember now, we sent in pictures of Stallone, Swarzenegger and Robocop. The Stallone pic didn't get printed.

So my mission now is to find an issue 8 for sale but in the meantime could one of you beautiful people put a scan up please?
Find attached a 300 dpi scan of the Reader's Gallery from AA Issue 8. Enjoy!

BTW special thanks should go to Codetapper as I might have missed this thread otherwise! My workplace should also get an honourable mention as they had the uncharacteristic presence of mind to install a new deluxe photocopier/scanner next door to my office a few weeks ago. Saved me the trouble of setting up my scanner at home, which is in a bit of disarray atm as I'm rearranging stuff across rooms so I can get to more of my Amiga stash for HOL and AMR purposes in months/years to come.

Until next time EAB peeps........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmigaAction_Issue8_ReaderGallery.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	39597  
Old 01 April 2014, 15:12   #35
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

You guys know how the song goes...

"Only English Amiga Board makes it possible"

Jokes aside, really amazing detective work there, guys!
Old 01 April 2014, 17:01   #36
perersavo

Wow those pictures bring back memories. I can picture my bro hunched over his A500 in his box room spending hours and hours on them. The discs that he saved these pictures to were stolen in a burgalry not long after, so It's brilliant to see them again. I think the Robocop still looks good lol!

Thanks again guys, the sentimental value these pictures are going to bring is priceless.

If anyone comes across issue 8 of Amiga Action I'll pay good money for it. The hard work has already been done by you guys so all I have to do is find the mag.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Right. What's our next project ☺

Old 01 April 2014, 19:07   #37
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Cough, cough....<bullshit>.....cough, cough!!!

Quote:

Find attached a 300 dpi scan of the Reader's Gallery from AA Issue 8. Enjoy!

BTW special thanks should go to Codetapper as I might have missed this thread otherwise! My workplace should also get an honourable mention as they had the uncharacteristic presence of mind to install a new deluxe photocopier/scanner next door to my office a few weeks ago. Saved me the trouble of setting up my scanner at home, which is in a bit of disarray atm as I'm rearranging stuff across rooms so I can get to more of my Amiga stash for HOL and AMR purposes in months/years to come.

Until next time EAB peeps........
Well done Codetapper for give DrBong the necessary kick
Well done DrBong for having the mag and spending the time to scan it,
Well done the EAB community for showing interest and being brilliant as usual

BTW Perersavo this must save saved you a bit of cash not having to buy all those old mags at a premium on Ebay, just to check they aren't the ones you want.

Last edited by Rob 1; 14 April 2014 at 14:05.