English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 March 2019, 15:14   #1
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Mini SCART

Has anyone had any experience with mini SCART connectors they put on new TVs these days? Do they behave identically as our old (un)trusty SCARTs (with the adapter applied) or are they different somehow?
Old 10 March 2019, 21:54   #2
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

It seems you are not the only one on the Internet to wonder what the specifications of this SCART socket are (search for "Mini SCART" ).

I found this in the manual of a recent TV but this does not make it much clearer.
Note though that the connector at the other end of this "EXT SCART" cable seems to be a regular SCART one so I would expect only analog signals to travel there.

I would wager that this is just a size reduced version but do not bet your children's life on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini SCART (EXT) socket on TV.png
Views:	97
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	62402  
Old 11 March 2019, 03:41   #3
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Has anyone had any experience with mini SCART connectors they put on new TVs these days? Do they behave identically as our old (un)trusty SCARTs (with the adapter applied) or are they different somehow?
Yes, I have used it on my Samsung. So I'm not sure if it is as reliable without modification on the RGB to Scart cable (I believe resistor mod needed) as my screen picture was losing signal then coming back (although the image when it was displayed was quite crisp). However, when using other methods e.g. A520 modulator via RCA to scart it worked fine, though kind of defeats the point of using scart in this situation lol.
Old 11 March 2019, 09:24   #4
Jope
-

The connectors on the TV end are quite unreliable in my experience. Be careful and use strain relief. :-)
Old 11 March 2019, 09:47   #5
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Thanks for the input guys

Lesta's post may be the only personal experience on the entire Internet

It's difficult enough to find the detailed specs (as Cat pointed out) but someone actually using it is a miracle
Old 11 March 2019, 10:22   #6
Higgy

I also have a Samsung TV with MiniSCART. I have my PS2 connected through there. Seems to behave like normal. Does 50 and 60 Hz.
Old 11 March 2019, 15:55   #7
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Oh, thanks. So it seems to be, more or less, a SCART, but some kind of mini version
Old 13 March 2019, 00:35   #8
Stedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Yes, I have used it on my Samsung. So I'm not sure if it is as reliable without modification on the RGB to Scart cable (I believe resistor mod needed) as my screen picture was losing signal then coming back (although the image when it was displayed was quite crisp). However, when using other methods e.g. A520 modulator via RCA to scart it worked fine, though kind of defeats the point of using scart in this situation lol.
The PS2 other consoles and the lowly A520, output a correct 1V composite video signal. The Amiga outputs a 4V signal, without the resistor mods! Hence the TV loses signals as it's greater than the electronics can handle. It may also be the TV does not like 288/240p, though it's less likely.
Old 14 March 2019, 00:01   #9
lesta_smsc

That's interesting I wasn't aware of the reason behind it so thank you for sharing that! Although I did read that resistors could potentially fix issue. I ended up buying a small LCD... Oh and a plasma too for retro needs! Lol