English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 December 2019, 01:25   #1
AC/DC HACKER!

Amiga 4000 CyberstormPPC Fan

Hello,

I've looked at eBay, and ordered 2 fans...they arrived, and are a pretty close match for the fan but the 2-pin connector is off a little, too close together. Low price not worth sending it back. I looked at Amazon, they have some for older computers..but, -I- haven't seen one that looks like a fit. Anyone know where to get the right kind of fan+pin without splicing wires? Which I could do....I just don't want to.

The fan on my CSPPC is doing very well, I just want backups.

Much appreciation in advance,

Happy Yuletide or Namo Buddhaya.
Old 15 December 2019, 02:09   #2
grelbfarlk

For a good/bad non answer I have this: Just use a fan connected to a drive power connector. That way you can use the fan header as a power input in case it gets flaky, or just for no reason at all and don't do that. Or non of the above.
Old 15 December 2019, 06:38   #3
digitalMedic

I am curious about using the fan header as a power input. What PSU line would I connect to the fan header as there is no two pin connector on the PSU? Is there somewhere where this is documented?
Old 15 December 2019, 22:01   #4
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalMedic View Post
I am curious about using the fan header as a power input. What PSU line would I connect to the fan header as there is no two pin connector on the PSU? Is there somewhere where this is documented?
Usually people would just connect a floppy power connector to it, just the 5V and Ground pins. But as with everything verify yourself first. Mechy I think first suggested this to me and I think he had seen it elsewhere.
Old 16 December 2019, 00:25   #5
digitalMedic

I have read this before, but I have never seen anything official about it. I don't think I need to do it, just more of a curiousity.
Old 16 December 2019, 03:01   #6
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalMedic View Post
I have read this before, but I have never seen anything official about it. I don't think I need to do it, just more of a curiousity.
I've never really had a need to do it, as my CSPPC is in a tower with lots of power and I use the PPC in the PCI slot. If you have an A4000 for instance with the original power supply and a few Zorro cards, you might have a need for it. Maybe also for A1200 and BPPC but drive connectors are less plentiful.
Old 16 December 2019, 04:49   #7
DiMaestro

Pull the connector from your current fan and install it on the new one. Black is ground, Red is Positive. It's not hard, just a bit fiddly.

Otherwise just use Molex Connectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Hello,

I've looked at eBay, and ordered 2 fans...they arrived, and are a pretty close match for the fan but the 2-pin connector is off a little, too close together. Low price not worth sending it back. I looked at Amazon, they have some for older computers..but, -I- haven't seen one that looks like a fit. Anyone know where to get the right kind of fan+pin without splicing wires? Which I could do....I just don't want to.

The fan on my CSPPC is doing very well, I just want backups.

Much appreciation in advance,

Happy Yuletide or Namo Buddhaya.
Old 21 December 2019, 07:40   #8
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMaestro View Post
Pull the connector from your current fan and install it on the new one. Black is ground, Red is Positive. It's not hard, just a bit fiddly.

Otherwise just use Molex Connectors.
I appreciate the reply (not any gratitude). That's what I'm thinking I'll have to do. Cut close to the original fan and moderate distance from the new fans and combine with electrical tape or..some other connectors.

I agree, a bit fiddly, haha. I was wondering if there are places that still sell these fans without having to do that stuff. Otherwise I'm cool with these "hacks". Agree, color to color.