English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 December 2009, 19:34   #1
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

CD32 Problem... Help required. :(

Hi there again, this morning i unpacked my CD32 from it's "vacation" inside my "retro-cabinet"... Place where my retro-devices do their R&R after several time on duty.

I unpacked it from a four months retirement and plugged it to test some game i got from eBay recently... Banshee.

When i turned it on it showed the little CD32 introduction perfectly... Nice, then i put the disc into the drive... After a few seconds i got the usual OS screen telling me something went wrong... "Not enough memory".... DUH!

Reset... Everything went fine...

However here it ends the good stuff and starts the pain...

As long as i got a little pissed off by that strange error message i decided to try some other games... Just in case.

Tried Microcosm... Original.
The system hangs when the Psygnosis logo shows up, turns screen to grey, and after a few seconds the logo returns for a second and goes away... Grey screen again. And so on.

Tried Dragonstone... Original.
Got an error messsage telling me "cannot execute file"

Tried Liberation... Original.
"Not enough memory" ... again?

Tried Simon the sorcerer... Original.
Introduction loads, but speech is choppy, sometimes it enters into a loop, and then continues on... After the intro the system hangs over.

Tried Guardian... Original.
No problems noticed.

Tried Oscar... Original.
It seems to work.

Tried Whale's Voyage... Original
System hangs over at the "loading" screen.

Tried 444 games compilation.
After some MINUTES loading i got some "recoverable alert", telling me some library was missing... DUH!!!

Tried 200 games compilation.
Ages loading, only the mouse pointer was shown after it...

So... That's it... Something is really wrong with my CD32, and the only thing i can see after a visual chechout on the board are both liquid capacitors to be a bit inflated, one of them with a little leak.

Could it be all this mess produced by these caps?
Or maybe i have some other component blown up? Some memory maybe?
I wouldn't like to tag my CD32 as "kaputt"...

Anticipated thanks guys.
Old 08 December 2009, 19:54   #2
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
My cd32 is showing similar symptoms, guess its the caps
Old 08 December 2009, 21:27   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
My cd32 is showing similar symptoms, guess its the caps
Try the drive, seen simular problems lots of times. Tweaked first (if that didnt work), replaced the mech.
Old 09 December 2009, 12:26   #4
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

I have two CD drives, both of them show the same symptoms...
Old 09 December 2009, 15:43   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyLucke View Post
I have two CD drives, both of them show the same symptoms...
Are you on about the whole mech or just the CDMech?
Old 09 December 2009, 20:06   #6
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Whole mech
Old 12 December 2009, 20:00   #7
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Well, i've replaced the caps and it seems everything is back to normality with the CD32.

However i do have two questions, i've noticed after a couple of hours the capacitors i've installed are a bit inflated... I don't know if this could be normal due material dilatation.

If not, what is going wrong here? Maybe the PSU is giving a wrong power output that could damage these caps?

Or as long as i'm using a NTSC CD drive, could it harm the components?
I can't see any difference between PAL and NTSC drives aside a couple of rubber pieces, red for PAL version and blue for NTSC.

I've replaced the disc drive since the PAL one is refusing to read CD-R's, could i correct this problem or is the drive just wasted?
Old 12 December 2009, 22:20   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well, i've replaced the caps and it seems everything is back to normality with the CD32.

However i do have two questions, i've noticed after a couple of hours the capacitors i've installed are a bit inflated... I don't know if this could be normal due material dilatation.
Hi DyLucke,

Are you talking about electrolytics here? If you are, then check that they are inserted right way round. Swollen electrolytic capacitors could indicate that they are wrongly inserted.
Old 13 December 2009, 00:08   #9
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Remove the caps & using a meter check that the "-" indicated by the silk screen on the PCB is true GND or 0V.
There is a mobo rev which is incorrectly labelled and the caps were also inserted incorrectly during production.

I Reversed the caps in my CD32 about 5 years ago due to this issue..

Typical Commodore

TC
Old 13 December 2009, 04:54   #10
Cammy

I hope you just put them in the wrong way around, too. Hopefully that's all that's wrong. I need to get the caps replaced in my CD32, and have those big ones put in the right way around this time.
Old 16 December 2009, 01:21   #11
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Thanks guys, i'm sure caps are inserted properly... Talking about these two the center one should have it's negative band facing to you, and the one on the right side of the plug facing right. It's quite clearly indicated on the board.

I tested the console for some hours without issues. But the caps are a bit inflated, and that's quite odd. They shouldn't have turned like this just after four hours of work.

Maybe there's something wrong with my PSU... I don't know. As i posted before all errors are gone and the console works properly, i do assume the problem it had was just made by one cap that had a leak.

I guess i should check the PSU but i'm not sure how to.
Old 16 December 2009, 02:39   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Thanks guys, i'm sure caps are inserted properly... Talking about these two the center one should have it's negative band facing to you, and the one on the right side of the plug facing right. It's quite clearly indicated on the board.

I tested the console for some hours without issues. But the caps are a bit inflated, and that's quite odd. They shouldn't have turned like this just after four hours of work.

Maybe there's something wrong with my PSU... I don't know. As i posted before all errors are gone and the console works properly, i do assume the problem it had was just made by one cap that had a leak.

I guess i should check the PSU but i'm not sure how to.
On alot of CD32's the silkscreen (writing on the board) were reversed. This caused the problem your having. If they are still bulging then they are still in the wrong way round.

Theres a thread on this some where.

Heres a pic, these caps are in the wrong way round.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=316441&postcount=8

Quickest way to check, is put a multimeter on the can of modulator (or fixing screw holes) and the other on the pads in turn (where 1 end of cap sits). You will then be able to workout which pad is negative and be able to mount the new caps the correct way round.

If its still happening, you sure you have the right value / voltage caps?

Last edited by FOL; 16 December 2009 at 02:45.
Old 17 December 2009, 03:36   #13
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Well, as long as they didn't have 10v 1000uf caps gave me 16v 1000uf... At the shop they told me it would be ok, some friend of mine who knows quite about electronics told me it's not a perfect deal but that would work ok.

It seems it turned to be difficult to find some needed 10v 1000uf caps.

About the caps facing to the wrong side, well, my board looks like exactly like the one in the picture and caps are facing that way. That's the way they were placed formerly, and the way the diagram on the board explains...

Are you sure and absolutelly sure about your observation regarding caps facing position?
I mean, what you say is very strange, could a serious company like Commodore to make such a mistake on all the units?

If you're right that could explain WHY the newly replaced caps got bulged in around an hour after soldered 'em on the board. I was thinking the PSU could be damaged or something.

So again... Are you sure the caps facing in the way shown on the picture are wrong?

It's not like i don't believe you, and you're some experienced member here, so i should take your word, but, no offence, it's hard to believe a so-called serious company could fuck up an entire line of consoles in an stupid way like this...

Cheers!
Old 17 December 2009, 05:32   #14
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Believe it or not: do some research!

Just use a multimeter in the volts scale and measure the voltage incoming into the bulging capacitors. But Big C= did a lot of mistakes in its era.
Old 17 December 2009, 09:27   #15
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, as long as they didn't have 10v 1000uf caps gave me 16v 1000uf... At the shop they told me it would be ok, some friend of mine who knows quite about electronics told me it's not a perfect deal but that would work ok.

It seems it turned to be difficult to find some needed 10v 1000uf caps.

About the caps facing to the wrong side, well, my board looks like exactly like the one in the picture and caps are facing that way. That's the way they were placed formerly, and the way the diagram on the board explains...

Are you sure and absolutelly sure about your observation regarding caps facing position?
I mean, what you say is very strange, could a serious company like Commodore to make such a mistake on all the units?

If you're right that could explain WHY the newly replaced caps got bulged in around an hour after soldered 'em on the board. I was thinking the PSU could be damaged or something.

So again... Are you sure the caps facing in the way shown on the picture are wrong?

It's not like i don't believe you, and you're some experienced member here, so i should take your word, but, no offence, it's hard to believe a so-called serious company could fuck up an entire line of consoles in an stupid way like this...

Cheers!
If you're after a new set of 2 of the electrolytic caps which need replacing then I have some spare brand new Nichon jobbies you can have... PM me address details if interested and I can pop them in the post tomorrow

Infact I have 6 going spare (i think!). If anyone wants a set of two let me know (so that's two other people if my maths is correct).
Old 17 December 2009, 13:44   #16
Muzer

Quote:
Reading the history of Commodore, I have to say, they have done many stupid and ridiculous things in the past, so I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 17 December 2009, 14:25   #17
Jope
-

Accidents happen and stuff like that is sometimes hard to find if they work normally for many years.
Old 19 December 2009, 02:41   #18
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Yeah, but this is a huge mistake.

If during that time C= was able to mess things like this just talking about some caps, i don't want to think about financial issues. Sometimes thinking about their mistakes and their policies i end up thinking about the company ruled by some kind of nerds.
Old 19 December 2009, 09:32   #19
Jope
-

Commodore was known for their extreme cost cutting in the Jack Tramiel days, then later on their CEO office was fitted with a swivel door and every time the management changed, old projects were cancelled.

The engineers did the best they could with what they had.

Sometimes I think it's a miracle that we still have any working Commodore computers in 2009. They were made out of the absolute cheapest parts back in the day.
Old 20 December 2009, 01:17   #20
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

I'm not blaming the engineers... But the directive staff, and their awful marketing and quality policies.