English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 March 2009, 15:56   #421
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Good Man. Red Mill or White Crest seem to be popular brands of Arrow Root, if this helps.
Old 09 March 2009, 22:08   #422
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

A bit of an update for you all....

I am getting enquiries about the Retr0bright project from all over the place, it's gone mental. Fruit machine restorers, console forums, toy collector forums, Lego forums, the list goes on....

I've seen posts about it in Land Rover and Alfa Romeo forums, telephone collector forums, I simply cannot believe how ballistic it's gone and all of the forums really appreciate that it's totally free.

AS Zetr0 will testify, I am struggling to cope with all of this new found l33tne55 that has been piled on our project; I just wanted to potter away in our little forum "sheds" in the backwoods of the Internet and not really bother anyone.

I suppose what we have seen is the true power of the Net at work and I am shocked and humbled by what happened over the last week. This could not have been achieved without the support given by people on here and I thank you all for achieving something truly fantastic (and l33t).

Has anyone else got any updates, or pictures that I can add to the Wiki?

Old 09 March 2009, 22:27   #423
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Old 09 March 2009, 22:33   #424
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Even if it started on a1k.org, it's this thread where it was brought together and finished It's awesome to see how this idea spreaded over the net
Cheers to all involved and you certainly deserve the feedback you got now
Old 13 March 2009, 19:29   #425
Blitter

Link to the wiki's just gone out in the b3ta.com newsletter, so expect even more crazy traffic tonight.

Last edited by Blitter; 13 March 2009 at 21:53.
Old 14 March 2009, 18:16   #426
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I've also seen a post that we are getting an article in Issue 2 of the Retroaction magazine...
Old 14 March 2009, 19:35   #427
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
BTW: access counting is over 95000 views ATM.
Old 14 March 2009, 20:13   #428
MarkTheMorose

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope View Post
I realize this was posted a while back, but I've managed to get very good results with a brand named Hobby Colors which I got in Stockholm.

That is one fantastic-looking A1200! Did you take the keys from a CDTV keyboard, or use extraordinary skill in painting the regular beige A1200 keys black?

Incidentally, I have stacks of old consoles and computers, and if I do get around to using Retr0brite, I shall of course post lotsa hardware pr0n. I'm thinking I'll try it on an Atari 800XL first, one that's on the sales list anyway. Then I'm sure I've got a VIC or a C64c or Amiga that could use some brightening...

Last edited by MarkTheMorose; 14 March 2009 at 20:27. Reason: updated text

Old 14 March 2009, 20:13   #429
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
BTW: access counting is over 95000 views ATM.
..... and over 5 MILLION Google hits, when i checked today!!
Old 15 March 2009, 01:31   #430
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTheMorose View Post
<SNIP>

Incidentally, I have stacks of old consoles and computers, and if I do get around to using Retr0brite, I shall of course post lotsa hardware pr0n. I'm thinking I'll try it on an Atari 800XL first,<SNIP>
Don't forget to add:

2 litres of gasoline
1 pound of chrome oxyde
1 lighted match
Old 19 March 2009, 13:19   #431
twizzle

@merlin what about using this its 17.5% ?

if its ok, this company is 1/2 mile away from me :-)

Last edited by twizzle; 18 April 2009 at 22:01.
Old 11 May 2009, 02:01   #432
kipper2k

Substitute for recipe

Hi all,

I couldn't find all the ingredients to make the recommended recipe so i found a substitute that works really good. (i'll post some pics later). I found this hydrogen peroxide custom mix at a hairdressers when i was in Winnipeg and it works great. Looking at the list of ingredients it already has glycerine in there and it is already in a paste form so it doesn't need thickening. Adding the Oxy causes it to start working and it generates quite a good foam. I took the keys off a yellowed keyboard and have had them sitting on the windowledge for about 8 hours. Window is open and the outside temp is 1deg Celcius and it is pretty sunny (yep, 1 degree, I'm sitting on the 58th Parallel so it is still winter here). I also notice that this manufacturer has English and European arms of its company so you may be able to get the same item there (or equivalent). I recommend giving it a look, it really does a good job!.

Here is a Hi Res image of the pic so you can check out the ingredient list...

http://kipper2k.com/amiga/hydperox.jpg

Old 11 May 2009, 23:17   #433
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Issue 2 of Retro Action magazine came out today and there's a two-page article about Retr0bright in there - this is so cool!! An off-topic retro project finally gets into a retro magazine! This project is officially l33t now!!

Old 19 June 2009, 15:45   #434
Sparticle

Also try bicarbonate soda

Also try bicarbonate soda with a liitle bleach in water. Soak keys, covers etc over night then give them a mild scrub in the same water. Rinse with clear water and just see the difference. It will not remove lettering from keys either and no need for gloves gogles etc.

Bicarbonate soda is very good for removing odours aswell.
Old 30 June 2009, 16:36   #435
chaoticjelly

Hey guys I've mixed some of this up earlier today and got it going, I used 12% Hydrogen Peroxide from Sally Beauty, Xanthan Gum, Glyerine and added the Vanish Oxi Action Crystal White.

There was no foaming though and the Vanish Oxi Action didn't really mix in it just sort of made a bit of a noise and hung around in the bowl?

The whole thing made a sort of paste, reasonably thick, put it all on and I can see in some places what I'm de-yellowing appears to be working but other places look unaffected and after about 1.5 hours the whole mixture seems to have dried?

Have I gone wrong somewhere? I'm sure I read that it should foam up or something.. but it hasn't at all..

My UV bulbs are 2 x 15W (30W total).
Old 30 June 2009, 17:29   #436
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

It can dry out, especially in this weather; justb apply a fresh coat of mixture, the de-yellowing will eventually even out. It'll be fine......

Try pre diluting the Oxy in a little hot water, it will disperse better in the overall mixture.
Old 30 June 2009, 17:47   #437
chaoticjelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
It can dry out, especially in this weather; justb apply a fresh coat of mixture, the de-yellowing will eventually even out. It'll be fine......

Try pre diluting the Oxy in a little hot water, it will disperse better in the overall mixture.
Cheers Merlin, I will give it another bash soon. I was thinking I could crush the Oxy in a bag, give it a bigger surface area to react and all that jazz.
Old 30 June 2009, 18:33   #438
chaoticjelly

Just had another look, it has de-yellowed it in areas, but on bits like the sides they are not de-yellowed at all I assume because the UV light hasn't really got round the sides..

Any idea if 2 x 15W bulbs are sufficient or should I be using a single 100W bulb or something?
Old 30 June 2009, 20:03   #439
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Hi Chaoticjelly

With the current weather you will get better results leaving the cases out in the sunshine or on the window sill.
Be careful not to warp the plastics though!

The mix will dry out quicker but the results will be more rapid.

If you're short on peroxide you should try refreshing the current coating with a damp paintbrush. I'm positive that there's still some 'goodness' left to be had like this.
Old 02 July 2009, 19:10   #440
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
After trying this a few times now, i found its best if you give the machine a good scrub washing up liquid and hot / warm water. To remove all the grease and dirt from over the years. Then give it a good dose of retro bright. Its given me much better results. Not so patchy.

Anyway im about to dip a BBC micro , or at least give it a try. but i have heard that the plastic is not quite the same on the these machines. Does anyone know of any Beeb's going thought this process? Also the area around the keyboard is like black PVC , any idea's how this will be effected ? i suppose i could always just try it, i have a few spare beeb.