English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Collections

Old 13 January 2018, 19:51   #101
mark_k

I think you need to get some sleep now.

Are all the disks labelled with a number, corresponding to the filenames of some ADFs? E.g. B2020.adf, B2021.adf. If so, I think it would be a good idea to include those numbers in all ADF filenames, even if the disk's content is obvious.

Apart from maybe reflecting chronological order in which the collection was accumulated, maybe there's some database/catalogue of all the disks on one of the floppies?

Also that would avoid "name collisions", e.g. in BS1 part 15 there are DISK1.adf, DISK1^1.adf etc. Did both original disks just have DISK1 on their labels in addition to a Bxxxx number?
Old 13 January 2018, 20:52   #102
ASM68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Seriously ? It's just random floppies with a number on it ... there is really nothing to enjoy about those for future generations. No originals and so far no labels with scene-art on them. And they will go to shit beyond repair at some point in time ... that is why we are imaging them. So in other words the enjoyment for future generations is in the content ... that said: here is number 17.
There are two different values that not everybody can see:

The value of the data:
The games are old and some people think it is worthless and they would throw the whole collection away without preserving anything.
You see the value and you will work for weeks on it (others would laugh about) and I can not thank you enough.

The second is the value of the whole "thing".
It is difficult, but let me try to explain:
You are right, it is made of random floppies, but together they form something unique, not only a lot of floppies in boxes but a thing that looks at first like furniture.
Most people including me have never seen such an impressive collection.
I showed it to others and they were impressed and had to laugh how "crazy" (in a nice way) theses people were and how much work they put into it.
Similar reactions can be found on Twitter where the news about you working on it was released.

Some facts:
Nowerdays most young people even do not know what disks are.
These disks are not produced anymore - they are already rare.
Bamiga Sector One was a famous scene group and part of computer history.
This is their collection, maybe the biggest in the world and not an ordinary rubbish diskbox on Ebay.
The years of work they put into it and also the work of the other groups are mirrored on the disks.
(You are right, data will be lost at some point, but that does not matter, you and the others preseved it)
But the most important fact is the reaction of the people and that is what makes it a great addition to a computer museum - maybe now, maybe even in years.

We are living in a society where everything gets thrown away because it is mass produced and has got no value, but if you dump the collection in the trash, you can not buy it again and it is gone forever.
Old 14 January 2018, 10:14   #103
1time
Amiga Lover

Just wanted to thank you guys for doing this for the community!
Old 14 January 2018, 11:38   #104
liveevil
Custom User Title

This is awesome ! Thanks for spending the huge amount of time to do this, but for those that know (TOSEC guys), is there much stuff that isn't already in TOSEC, or it's just going to be 10,000 more alternates [a] ?
Old 14 January 2018, 11:51   #105
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
This is awesome ! Thanks for spending the huge amount of time to do this, but for those that know (TOSEC guys), is there much stuff that isn't already in TOSEC, or it's just going to be 10,000 more alternates [a] ?
There is going to be lots of duplicates, but there is also likely to be lots of stuff thats long since been lost.
Old 14 January 2018, 12:10   #106
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Do not forget productions that are incomplete, such as games or utilities compilations, or even "lost".
Old 14 January 2018, 14:01   #107
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM68 View Post
There are two different values that not everybody can see:

We are living in a society where everything gets thrown away because it is mass produced and has got no value, but if you dump the collection in the trash, you can not buy it again and it is gone forever.
That's a great point.

The argument that the disks in themselves are just useless plastic could, somewhat, be applied to any old thing. I'm sure someone must have suggested that we should take a high-resolution picture of the Mona Lisa and then throw the whole thing away, because it's just old paint and fabric.

It's an awful lot of disks, but I agree that keeping them for a while to see if someone wants to preserve the whole collection, not just the data, would be the right thing to do.
Old 14 January 2018, 16:51   #108
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
many disks in tosec need to be repaired to be usable. Unfortunately, you don't always have a good source for that.

the BS1 collection comes handy
Old 14 January 2018, 19:21   #109
1time
Amiga Lover

Have anything rare been found so far?
Old 14 January 2018, 20:08   #110
SimonV

and another one... made between the soup and the potatoes as we say overhere.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bs1_18.zip (34.9 KB, 144 views)
Old 14 January 2018, 20:38   #111
mark_k

Make sure to write-protect all disks before imaging them. Otherwise AmigaDOS may write to the disk (modifying it). E.g. just opening a disk icon in Workbench causes the disk to be written to. Hopefully you already do write-protect them.

A report on one disk I happened to check...

AntiVirus devware.adf:
VirusZ reports Lamer ext.2 in bootblock.
Checksum error at block 555 (= offset $45600). That sector has been corrupted by Lamer Exterminator: it's filled with "Lamer!" characters.

Bytes at offsets $7CE00 to $7E7FF are all zero. That includes sectors 1001-1011 which correspond to offsets $7D200 to $7E7FF (= cyl 45 side 1). That could indicate a disk copy error when the disk was created in the past. Hopefully it's not a read error when you imaged it.
Old 15 January 2018, 01:24   #112
SimonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Make sure to write-protect all disks before imaging them. Otherwise AmigaDOS may write to the disk (modifying it). E.g. just opening a disk icon in Workbench causes the disk to be written to. Hopefully you already do write-protect them.

A report on one disk I happened to check...

AntiVirus devware.adf:
VirusZ reports Lamer ext.2 in bootblock.
Checksum error at block 555 (= offset $45600). That sector has been corrupted by Lamer Exterminator: it's filled with "Lamer!" characters.

Bytes at offsets $7CE00 to $7E7FF are all zero. That includes sectors 1001-1011 which correspond to offsets $7D200 to $7E7FF (= cyl 45 side 1). That could indicate a disk copy error when the disk was created in the past. Hopefully it's not a read error when you imaged it.
Most if not all the disks are writeprotected although as far as I can see diskripper takes control of the diskdrive. The drive you image shows up in workbench as df1:???? as soon as you choose it as the drive to use. Anyway, as stated when we started this and in every readme that comes with the pack.... you get what we got. The good, the bad and the ugly.
Old 15 January 2018, 03:41   #113
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffest View Post
For people interested in source codes from the old Scene days: do check the disks SEKA2.adf , introUSA.adf, sources.adf, sources2.adf HQC.adf and HQC^1.adf.

Assembler and C sources from Bamiga Sector 1, The Beyonders and HQC on those.
Mostly simple tryouts and snippets, but introUSA.adf seems to be a full production.
Hi can these .adf's be uploaded to the zone please. I don't really want to download a 1gb torrent for 10 disks. Also will these be uploaded to a site like planetemu.net in the future?
Old 15 January 2018, 05:43   #114
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Hi can these .adf's be uploaded to the zone please. I don't really want to download a 1gb torrent for 10 disks. Also will these be uploaded to a site like planetemu.net in the future?
The torrents are only ~70MB and took me about 10 secs to download.. But I guess you can probably find them on the EAB ftp at some point.
Old 15 January 2018, 06:06   #115
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The torrents are only ~70MB and took me about 10 secs to download.. But I guess you can probably find them on the EAB ftp at some point.
Yeah I checked on archive,org and you can include individual .adf's, so will wait for the source code to be uploaded
Old 15 January 2018, 06:10   #116
ASM68

Quote:
Please check out post 49
Old 15 January 2018, 08:47   #117
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I'm getting under 100kb a second. haha First world problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asm68 View Post
Please check out post 49
Yeah on the bs1 site now browsing the contents. I never knew the Amiga had a punisher game
Old 15 January 2018, 19:05   #118
SimonV

Box 19, 20 and 21 !
Attached Files
File Type: zip bs1_19-20-21.zip (100.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 15 January 2018, 20:57   #119
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I'm getting under 100kb a second. haha First world problems
I'm impressed that you are even able to get an internet connection, seeing as you're living in Middle Earth.
Old 15 January 2018, 22:20   #120
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
beware, Part 19 has some disks infected by the Byte warrior virus !