English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 October 2017, 09:44   #21
Doc

I'll see if I can sell the additional stuff (I'm not 14 anymore to have posters on my walls) to cover cost for the second part when it's on Amazon. If someone wants it - PM.

Splitting was necessary after Brian ran out of money as he explained in an update about where the money went. No wonder after the delay. I'd say most backers bit the bullet and will finance him some more rounds on Thimbleweed Pa..., erm editing the material.
Old 21 October 2017, 11:22   #22
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Maybe I horribly misunderstood, but I thought that by backing it we were merely making the book a reality - which it now is. This has been a huge, and from what we have read, incredibly thorough job - all handled by one man.

I don't give a monkeys that it can be bought in a local bookshop - if anything I'm glad it's getting such wide exposure. I'm happy to wait and get my copy, with goodies, as and when it arrives. People need to chill out!
Old 21 October 2017, 16:33   #23
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
I have a tracking number for my book so I should get it next week hopefully!
Old 22 October 2017, 09:18   #24
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Maybe I horribly misunderstood, but I thought that by backing it we were merely making the book a reality - which it now is.
It isn't. The book covers half of the story.

I understand most readers are Amiga fans rather than interested in Commodore, so all the technical details and the pre-C=-story matters to them. I'm certainly in the minority, not interested in reading all those Mr. Pillow and HAM stories again. If memory serves well, somewhere Brian had written he was more interested in C= than the Amiga, but that has changed on his way through the story apparently, making his material a monster.

It was quite dissapointing to read the first draft and learn he was going to split the material just for being able to bring all the details. Very difficult to stay calm for me, which I'm sorry about.
Old 17 December 2017, 01:26   #25
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I see it is available at Amazon. But it seems that he has splitted the Amiga Years in two parts and we'll have to wait for him to make the next.

Any other comment about this book from people here?
Old 17 December 2017, 04:36   #26
demoniac

I'm about 20-25% done at the part where the company is talking to Atari for funding. It's really detailed with a lot more interviews than his previous C= book. Not only are the interviews longer, but with many more people. I spotted a couple grammatical errors, but nothing major. It was worth the wait.
Old 19 December 2017, 16:02   #27
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
It was worth the wait.
Still no books for european backers two months after it had been sighted in the wild.

Brian ... never again.
Old 19 December 2017, 16:14   #28
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I love how incredibly unforgiving some people are here. It was the dudes first go at a Kickstarter book, he's admitted (multiple times) he's got things wrong. I'm really not bothered, it'll arrive when it arrives
Old 19 December 2017, 16:37   #29
wanderer
I want an A1000

Exactly. For some people it seems like a speed race. You'll get when you'll get it... geez. The whole point of Kickstarter is to actually make things happen. Getting it ASAP in your front door is not the priority.

Ok, Brian messed up shipping a bit, so what? We should be thankful he wrote the book(s) in the first place.
Old 21 December 2017, 08:05   #30
spacey

yeah i agree - i don't think people should be so harsh. maybe he could've done some things differently but it was a big undertaking and i've always had faith that he'd deliver.. i'd rather people take their time and do things well than rush and do a crappy job.

i got my ebook links today.. looking forward to reading it!
Old 21 December 2017, 08:25   #31
farsonic

Thanks for that update...I'm yet to receive my eBook links...hopefully soon
Old 01 January 2018, 22:04   #32
eteP

Got the book from Amazon and finished reading sometime ago. Liked it a lot: it was fun to read about the development of a bunch of products in detail and really sad to learn about the decisions they had to make due to poor finances. The book covers Commodore from -84 until the dismissal of Rattigan in the spring of -87 and the story of Amiga from -82 until the same point in time. I just hope that the 'Final years' is as detailed although it has to cover a longer period in time (87-94)...
Old 19 January 2018, 04:10   #33
Zippy Zapp

^^
I noticed it on Amazon too for hard cover. I could have waited and saved about $35. Of course no business cards, mini poster and early years book, but I could live without those...
Old 19 January 2018, 11:20   #34
wanderer
I want an A1000

^^
If everyone did that there would be no book to begin with. Kickstarter is not about online shopping.
Old 19 January 2018, 15:26   #35
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
^^
If everyone did that there would be no book to begin with. Kickstarter is not about online shopping.
Of course. My point is I am glad it is an option for those that couldn't do it at the time or afford it as it was more to invest...
Old 20 January 2018, 00:58   #36
voyager_1701e

Got my copy yesterday...got through the first 4 chapters before the GF wanted attention So far some interesting information on other product Commodore worked on I wasnt aware of

I was pleasantly surprised it was a hardback....its been so long since I've thought about the Kickstarter I didn't remember if it was meant to be hardback or I chose the hardback.

Either way, I thought Brian was open and honest (with good communications) about his mis-steps and found ways to fix them...so far pleased with the result!
Old 23 January 2018, 15:01   #37
Daedalus

Got my copy at Christmas as a present from my wife but haven't read any of it yet, was waiting to finish off my current book first. A brief flick though looks very interesting. I did spot a small mistake with punctuation too, but the original On the Edge was awash with such mistakes, and while somewhat distracting, didn't ruin the book for me. I guess such problems are more common when you're dealing with small independent productions without banks of professional copy editors and proofreaders to clean things up.
Old 24 January 2018, 13:14   #38
Marchie

My ebook arrived a few weeks ago and (when I get a chance to read it) I'm enjoying it immensely. I know the storyline fairly well already, but the extra detail from the people involved is great.
Old 17 April 2018, 09:41   #39
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Got my copy at Christmas as a present from my wife but haven't read any of it yet, was waiting to finish off my current book first. A brief flick though looks very interesting. I did spot a small mistake with punctuation too, but the original On the Edge was awash with such mistakes, and while somewhat distracting, didn't ruin the book for me. I guess such problems are more common when you're dealing with small independent productions without banks of professional copy editors and proofreaders to clean things up.
Blame the editor...
(That'll have been me, then - at least for the Amiga Years)
Old 18 April 2018, 08:06   #40
demoniac

Finished reading this book last week or so. Overall, very detailed and sustained my interest the same level through out. It was also interesting reading about people I know personally and their involvement in depth.