Fantasy Man!

OS4 is still in beta.
Latest news: http://www.amiga.org/modules/news/ar...p?storyid=4391
Old 16 November 2004, 20:20   #4
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
programmers not get paid, got screwed....
You are talking about MorphOS, not AmigaOS 4. OS4 is fine.

Currently AmigaOne motherboards get shipped with a preview/beta version of AmigaOS 4. It lacks 3D support, can't handle USB mass storage devices and doesn't have a 68k JIT emulator yet (just a standard 68k emulator). Apart from that, it's pretty much complete.

The MicroA1-C ("consumer" version) is available now, the MicroA1-I ("industrial" version) should be available soon. The AmigaOne-XE is currently on hold, as they found a hardware problem that requires fixing (they have a fix, which is used on the MicroA1-C, they are currently adapting it to the A1-XE).

To get an overview about freeware currently available for OS4, check http://www.os4depot.net

Commercial software: Audio Evolution should be made available in the next few days, Pagestream 5 is undergoing testing right now. CygnusEd is finished, Olaf was searching for a publisher a month ago. There's lots stuff announced (ignition (spreadsheet), Hollywood / Hollywood Designer, CandyFactory, ArtEffect 4, Imagine, some AMOS clone (might be freeware, can't remember), SBase professional, Octamed Soundstudio, AmiAtlas...) but I don't know any schedules or release dates.
Old 17 November 2004, 00:01   #5
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny
....It lacks 3D support, can't handle USB mass storage devices and doesn't have a 68k JIT emulator yet (just a standard 68k emulator). Apart from that, it's pretty much complete....
But this is 2004, not 1994 - how something can even be classed as "pretty much complete" when it misses 3D support & USB mass storage is a joke !

Old 17 November 2004, 00:03   #6
Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
programmers not get paid, got screwed.... no os4... the same old story
As Korodny says, you are talking about the fabulous MorpOS... if you go to morphos.net you can read this:

"Since july 2003, Genesi started to not pay their bills. They told it was a temporary problem and payments were on their way. They did so for months, while people kept working. They claimed many times to have issued payments. Those never arrived. Currently, at least the following persons related with MorphOS development are unpaid:

• David Gerber: 26586 EUR
  • Stefan Stuntz: similar amount
  • Treveur Bretaudiere: 9680 EUR
  • Oliver Wagner: similar amount
If you feel you should be in that list, send a mail here.

Any new version of MorphOS for the Pegasos won't happen before the above counters reach zero.

History
2004-11-15: this page online"

IT'S incredible... always the same story...
Old 17 November 2004, 03:14   #7
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
But this is 2004, not 1994 - how something can even be classed as "pretty much complete" when it misses 3D support & USB mass storage is a joke !
You may have missed the part where I described it as a "preview/beta version", so let me repeat it:

It's a preview/beta version.
Old 17 November 2004, 05:03   #8
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny
You may have missed the part where I described it as a "preview/beta version", so let me repeat it:

It's a preview/beta version.
I didn't miss that. I still stand by my statement. You may have missed it, so let me repeat it:

how something can even be classed as "pretty much complete" when it misses 3D support & USB mass storage is a joke !

That is, wether it is alpha, beta, pre-release, demo, final or whatever. If this is "pretty much complete" as in the final products features minus a few things (wether buggy or not) then it is a joke as minus 3d Support & USB Mass Storage is a pretty big thing these days.

Old 17 November 2004, 05:45   #9
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Who cares, if your not going to buy it (few are) why even bring it up?
Old 17 November 2004, 06:41   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
Who cares, if your not going to buy it (few are) why even bring it up?
i just want to know. And yes I agree, it's only going to be purchased by fanbois and such. maybe a few thousand.
Sad that the AmigaOne has been out a year and has to run Linux or OS 3.9.
Old 17 November 2004, 16:21   #11
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I didn't miss that. I still stand by my statement. You may have missed it, so let me repeat it:

how something can even be classed as "pretty much complete" when it misses 3D support & USB mass storage is a joke !
1. Engage your brain
2. carefully look at my first post.
3. try to spot the words "apart from that"

You'll find out that I said "apart from that it's pretty much complete". I didn't say "OS 4 is pretty much complete".

Nice try.

Quote:
then it is a joke as minus 3d Support & USB Mass Storage is a pretty big thing these days.
Sure. But does it really matter what is missing? If I'd explain to you that both Mass Storage and 3D support are done and already available to beta testers, you'd spout some crap about "THEY'RE STILL NOT DONE???? - it's to late anyway", "only idiots will buy it", "the hardware is crap" or "it's just a relabeled Mac - they're raping the Amiga legend".
Old 17 November 2004, 16:27   #12
Jim

Yes, the "apart from that" is the biggie here.

It's like me saying.......

"I've produced a new Amiga forum, better than EAB - it will kick EAB's ass. I've found a server and downloaded the SuperDooper Bulletin Board Sofware". It just needs some work done on setting up the board, registering a domain name, coding some webpages & attracting members - apart from that it's pretty much complete"

Old 17 November 2004, 21:24   #13
kolorabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Sad that the AmigaOne has been out a year and has to run Linux or OS 3.9.
I've got a friend who's using a betaversion of AmigaOS, and he's very satisfied. It does pretty much everything he needs, it's very fast and responsive, and it feels very Amiga-like (which in my view is a neccessity, so it's good to hear it's succeeding in this area).

Oh, and Jim, give up.
Old 18 November 2004, 00:17   #14
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolorabi
I've got a friend who's using a betaversion of AmigaOS, and he's very satisfied. It does pretty much everything he needs, it's very fast and responsive, and it feels very Amiga-like (which in my view is a neccessity, so it's good to hear it's succeeding in this area).

Oh, and Jim, give up.
Funny, maybe he should of saved a few bucks and just used a free ancient PC with a free OS like linux since if you just browse check email and download pron it will do everything you like also.
Old 18 November 2004, 00:35   #15
Jim

Quote:
Funny, maybe he should of saved a few bucks and just used a free ancient PC with a free OS like linux since if you just browse check email and download pron it will do everything you like also.
And he'll be able to plug in a mass-storage device and backup his pron downloads too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolorabi
Oh, and Jim, give up.
My thirst to re-engage with this thread is in Beta stage, and will be ready soon......honest.......just keep waiting.......

Old 18 November 2004, 00:52   #16
jmmijo

@Unknown_K and Jim, funny responses there

However I have to point out you both are spelling it incorrectly, it's correct spelling is pr0n

Oh and Jim, which USB mass storage device makes for the best media for said pr0n, PC Card, Smart Media, Memory Stick or USB Pen Drive
Old 18 November 2004, 01:09   #17
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo
Oh and Jim, which USB mass storage device makes for the best media for said pr0n, PC Card, Smart Media, Memory Stick or USB Pen Drive
I use a combination of the following:

iPod Photo as it's easy to take anywhere (e.g. bathroom). I don't use it for music at all and wish they would upgrade the 60gig hard-disk as I've now ran out of space Having said that with it's small screen you might gradually be going blind looking at the photos on it, but that's probably happening anyway if what my mother told me was true!

But for storing just my favourite pr0n I use this , which reminds me I really should think about upgrading as this is getting low on space !

You see, mass-storage is important for some people !

Old 18 November 2004, 01:09   #18
Unknown_K

Most people use a computer for an information gathering device or mild entertainment (kind of like a TV). This would include simple games, mp3's, video, email, web browsing, instant messaging, etc. Any system made in the last 5 years will run those aplications with ease, some could even do it on much older hardware.

If your using the plain vanilla "commodity application" you might as well get a commodity PC and OS to go with it since a high end PC, Amiga (whatever that is except lots of money and little horsepower), or Mac is just a waste of your money. Do you need a Ferrari if all you do is drive 3 blocks to the local McDonalds and back at 35 MPH?
Old 18 November 2004, 02:05   #19
jmmijo

Quote:
....Do you need a Ferrari if all you do is drive 3 blocks to the local McDonalds and back at 35 MPH?
If you live in kalifornia you do

@Jim, I agree, I'm running outta space due to all of my binary pr0n too
Old 18 November 2004, 05:27   #20
oldpx

Same old story same old story. Someone announces something which eventually is delayed several times, some people react that, some others are way too obsessed with the story and with an elitist attitude they criticise those who decide not to support, this goes on until the case if officially closed or something less than half exciting as announced is released, then everyone moves on to something else.

I also know someone who betatests os4 and he's probably content with it but he is a dumb ass snob and he'd never say anything else even if it was crap. This doesn't interest me Os4 won't be of any use to me. That's the keyword: usefulness