English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2009, 05:19   #61
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I suppose more modern icons will probably all be for square pixels, while old standard icons will mostly be for non-square pixels (HighRes without Interlace).
I think so too. And iirc there are patches that fix this "stretched old icons" issue.
Old 11 October 2009, 05:20   #62
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
I ask because I would certainly be dissatisfied if I had to look at them in this distorted kind of way.
Have a look at the attached screenshot. Now the folder icons are 'distorted'. Your screen mode works fine in ClassicWB and OS 3.5/9 and Kitty's in WB 3.1. Neither are 'distorted'. Hope you get that now.
Oh and btw : Still has nothing to do with the host resolution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	024.png
Views:	192
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	22946  
Old 11 October 2009, 05:24   #63
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
And of course HighRes Laced IS 640x512. It's set by default, because it's the visible fullscreen size without the need of scrolling the image horizontal or vertical.
Not on a UAE flavor of ClassicWB
have a look :

Last edited by NewDeli; 11 October 2009 at 09:22.
Old 11 October 2009, 05:28   #64
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Something is wrong with your resolutions (might be because ClassicWB UAE handles them differently). 644x520 isn't any 'real' resolution. it's simply 4 pixels too wide and 8 pixels too high.
Old 11 October 2009, 05:29   #65
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, ClassicWB "UAE" uses a P96 graphic card emulation with Scalos. We talk about the ClassicWB Lite,which is a plain enhanced standard WB.
Old 11 October 2009, 05:31   #66
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Well, ClassicWB "UAE" uses a P96 graphic card emulation with Scalos. We talk about the ClassicWB Lite/Standard which is a plain enhanced standard WB.
I don't actually know the precise reason for that resolution, but when you change the used area in the Overscan Prefs tool, that new size is reflected in the ScreenMode Prefs tool as well, so I suppose that's what someone must've done at some point (at least that's my best guess).
Old 11 October 2009, 05:34   #67
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Well, ClassicWB "UAE" uses a P96 graphic card emulation with Scalos.
Then, how come it doesn't need any RTG memory set in WinUAE ?
Old 11 October 2009, 05:41   #68
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Maybe i'm wrong with the RTG emulation, never tried ClassicWB UAE. I use the LITE, exact the same setup i run on my Amiga 1200 too. But now it's time to stop this silly discussion.

Edit: Looks like there are two configs for CWB-UAE, for AGA (no JIT) and for P96 (with JIT)

Quote:
So what’s included?

Two ClassicWB packs have been combined into one package, all setup to run as one system in WinUAE. It contains separate HDF’s for each Workbench plus a shared PC directory for software.

Three configuration files are provided, with the main differences between them shown below:

* Native AGA graphics running without a JIT cpu
* Picasso 96 graphics running with and without JIT cpu's

They all share a PC directory called “Software” which holds all your demos, games and music. This directory also has the advantage of being accessible from windows.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=19056

Edit 2:

Quote:
I don't actually know the precise reason for that resolution, but when you change the used area in the Overscan Prefs tool, that new size is reflected in the ScreenMode Prefs tool as well, so I suppose that's what someone must've done at some point (at least that's my best guess).
Yes, that's it. If you edit the Overscan wide/height it is shown in the screen resolutions tab. Bloodwych set it to 644x260/644x520 (or maybe a Scalos default?).

Anyway, if you edit the Scalos Overscan to 640x256/640x512 you can select this Amiga resolutions in ClassicWB-UAE too.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 11 October 2009 at 06:33.
Old 11 October 2009, 08:43   #69
NewDeli
Banned

Sorry to burst your bubble R-N, but the extra pixels from 640x512 resolution are also featured in ClassicWB LITE ScreenModes :

I guess it could be an idea to ask Bloodwych and Toni (remember the (640+16)x(480+16) resolution bearing an * in screen/fullscreen/Display tab) about it. My guess is these extra pixels make it easier for modern monitors to obtain those unusual resolutions (a wild guess, I know )

I did as you said concerning Overscan and now I can choose either 640x512 or 640x256 .

@TCD
Please, can you explain how you did this (posts #57 & 62). If I choose 640x256 I get both glow icons AND system icons distorted.
Old 11 October 2009, 08:48   #70
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
I guess it could be an idea to ask Bloodwych and Toni
Toni has nothing to do with this, and I'd bother him as little as possible. I am curious what Bloodwych has to say, primarily if that's an intentional change made by him or something else.

Quote:
@TCD
Please, can you explain how you did this (posts #57 & 62). If I choose 640x256 I get both glow icons AND system icons distorted.
Your system icons have probably already been replaced with icons suitable for resolutions with square pixels.
Old 11 October 2009, 09:21   #71
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble R-N, but the extra pixels from 640x512 resolution are also featured in ClassicWB LITE ScreenModes :
Then Bloodwych set something in Overscan/CWB. I've just loaded an old standard WB 3.0 setup (never changed anything there) and it shows 640x256 or 640x512 laced by default.
Old 11 October 2009, 09:29   #72
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
The point is, the Amiga uses both resolutions with square pixels (e.g. owRes, HighRes Interlace) and resolutions without square pixels (e.g. the default regular HighRes and LowRes Interlace).

Graphics made for one won't look good on the other and vice versa. If you do want a consistent look, everything has to be coordinated, I suppose more modern icons will probably all be for square pixels, while old standard icons will mostly be for non-square pixels (HighRes without Interlace).
That part was really helpful. Thanks .

So that might be the reason why the installer that comes with WHDLoad slaves offer 2 or 3 types of icons (glow icons, new icons...) to choose from.

That means if kitty had installed Battle Chess manually, she would have chosen the right icon, accordingly to her setup (provided she knew about all these things) and it would not have appeared distorted.

Quote:
now it's time to stop this silly discussion.
Time for me to get some rest -> I am the last one to post on this thread.
Very clever indeed !
Just imagine, if you were a Mod, you could have temporarily closed it.

Last edited by NewDeli; 11 October 2009 at 09:40.
Old 11 October 2009, 12:45   #73
Bloodwych

LOL - what is all this going on about?

Yes, the default screenmodes of Workbench are 640x256 (PAL HIRES) and 640x512 (PAL HIRES INTERLACED).

The Classic Workbench has 4 pixels extra set in overscan (as mentioned above) in order to be compatible with a certain application I can't remember the name of. But there was a good reason to set the small extra overscan setting - something I did so long ago I can't remember why!

Nothing more complicated than that.
Old 11 October 2009, 16:13   #74
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
....Polluting the threads as you or KG, or even DH do, with already known to all opinions and putrid allusions about my lack of knowledge is not something that should raise any interest from the newcomers, nor from the GMs
Maybe if you listened to the GM's in the first place, none of this would of happened. The fact that you chose to ignore their advice, meant that you carried on with some of those confusing posts. Listen to the advice and everyone will be happy. We all have our own quirks regading WinUAE and Workbench, but I don't see anyone else here pushing there own setups as being far superior and that every one else's are wrong.

Quote:
@kitty
This is the UAE flavor of classicWB, and it's a preconfigured OS, entirely based on WB 3.1 (hence the name "classic"), which is something you fail to understand apparently
Hmmm. I don't think you're in a position to be saying things like that to members who are obviously learning and having a little trouble.

@All
This was about helping newcomers wasn't it?

God help a newcomer if they read this

EDIT: Forgot to mention... Thanks Graham for splitting this away from nanogoblin's thread

Last edited by DH; 11 October 2009 at 17:30.
Old 11 October 2009, 17:15   #75
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
wow just shows you Deleauvive you should have stuck with ya A500 might have know all about it then, Cant belive you don`t know about diffrent icon sets for diffrent screen modes, just shows you never realy kept up with the amiga and have only come back to it through emulation where when you think you`ve found something out it becomes hard fact to you but in realitly it could be something very subjective.

Thanks for spliting this of was it graham ? forget now and don`t want go back an reread, might end up haveing to waffle through another one of Deleauvive posts like No23 in this thread.

can i lie down now my head hurts
Old 11 October 2009, 18:47   #76
NewDeli
Banned

For those who are looking for v1.6.1 WinUAE & previous versions, and since winuae.net is down for now, they are all offered here to download in installable format (and the zipped archive of v1.6.1 and possibly others have been zoned).
For the beta -> read the latest posts from the beta thread, and download it from there.

For me, the most compatible version from the older ones is v1.4.6 (just my 2$), but they all have been superseded by the v2 beta series.

Last edited by NewDeli; 11 October 2009 at 19:19.
Old 11 October 2009, 19:14   #77
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=38429
Sticky?
Old 14 October 2009, 12:38   #78
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
become a wiki editor and write a simple, easy to follow guide on a topic you're familiar with

I am familiar with messing with WinUAE settings . Now where should I start wiki'ing ? I clicked on this link to become part of the wiki group but someone should allow me as an editor, apparently.
Old 16 October 2009, 01:59   #79
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Can something be done about this guy. Future generations of newbies will be sent here by google and will have to face his incomprehensible walls of text and confusion.