English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 31 March 2005, 19:05   #1
magnox

Does anyone remember this game?

One word, Odyssey by audiogenic, ok that was more than one word but seriously, does anyone remember this fab game. It was a platformer but with an atmosphere that to me was unmatched in most amiga games of its ilk (with the exception of onescapee and a few others).

The main game had no music but instead you had the sound of the wind and sound of grass crunching underfoot, then when you went into a cave the wind sounded more distant and you could hear echoing footsteps as you walked.

The other thing that impressed was the animation, especially on the main character, if you stopped you could see his chest move as he breathed, and things like the torches inside the caves flickering.

The game was a mixture of platform, exploration and puzzles and was quite tricky in later levels as it required you to shapeshift into other creatures to get further in the game.

Sigh my only regret is this game never made it on the cd32, and I feel it should have done, to be able to play it on the cd32 would have been cool.

Anyone else remember this game?
Old 31 March 2005, 20:10   #2
Amiga1992

Game in question is here:
http://hol.abime.net/2278

I remember giving it a go once but never thoroughly for it was in german or something? Can't remember but I promise to check it out in my real Amiga soon.

I think it was coded by soem demogroup, but the data in HOL is missing. Silents, maybe?

And the 100.000 dollar question is: DID YOU BUY THIS GAME?
Old 31 March 2005, 20:47   #3
blackcornflake

100.000 answer: yep.

Had to persevere quite a lot to get it, I recall. The original disks that came with my copy were buggered, so I took it back to the shop and they gave me... the exact same box and disks back, pretending they were new. This happened twice before I got new disks. Anyway.

A very atmospheric game, I agree, magnox. I had not thought about the lack of music before, but I think you are right in that the absence of a tune helps create that unusual, compelling sense of verisimilitude; the game puts the player right there in the moment. The atmosphere is indeed accentuated by the visuals and sound effects. The sprites are very expressively realised, and the main character's morphing animation is great. The game is very thoughtfully put together overall, with even the level select screen (map/hand) contributing to the atmosphere. I like the lack of overarching narrative too. It means you have to figure things out for yourself. Also, it helps draw you more strongly into the game and maintains the suspension of disbelief: at no point does Odyssey blatantly remind you that 'hey, you're playing a video game'.

I can't remember if I ever completed it or not (perhaps not if the lack of recollection is anything to go by), but in a way this isn't important, as I am rather an existentialist player and I found Odyssey very satisfying in that it provided a certain kind of individual, immediate experience.
Old 31 March 2005, 21:18   #4
JudasEZT

I never knew of this game until emulation. When I played a year or so back I didnt figured what to do.. Im sure that if I had this game when its release I would persevered more. Im more lazy nowadays than back at first middle 90es, when I practically devoured every game passed on my hands.

I have the very same feeling with Tom and The Ghost which reminds me a lot to Oddysey in its multidirectional smooth scroll and the movement of the character.

both games Ive disvovered in HOL, and in both games Im completely lost.
Old 31 March 2005, 21:58   #5
magnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Game in question is here:
http://hol.abime.net/2278

I remember giving it a go once but never thoroughly for it was in german or something? Can't remember but I promise to check it out in my real Amiga soon.

I think it was coded by soem demogroup, but the data in HOL is missing. Silents, maybe?

And the 100.000 dollar question is: DID YOU BUY THIS GAME?
100.000 question= most definatley I own the original boxed version from day of release as well as the amiga format coverdisk demo version which had a level not featured in the game
Old 01 April 2005, 18:13   #6
NPI

whoever got the manual of that game SCAN IT ! please !!!
Old 01 April 2005, 19:10   #7
magnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPI
whoever got the manual of that game SCAN IT ! please !!!
i have the manual
Old 01 April 2005, 20:33   #8
NPI

scan it... I need it because when you reach like 80% of the game it have a strange door with a rock above that I can't open

see

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15801
Old 04 April 2005, 05:06   #9
BlaCkAdDa
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to BlaCkAdDa
Never seen it before, looks nice though
Old 04 April 2005, 05:25   #10
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Is the bizarre dithering in the double barrel screenshot supposed to be like that? Near the bottom of the left shot is a selection of random bluish dots. Also on the ingame shot, there is an ugly vertical pattern of orange on pink above the smaller rock (and partially obscured by the big rock). Can anyone confirm if that's a dodgy DBS or is the original like that too?
Old 04 April 2005, 09:40   #11
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The DBS is dodgy, but I'm playing through the game to grab new screenshots.

I'm currently stuck in the castle. Whenever I approach the king he throws me away and turns me into the squirrel. Does anybody have any ideas?

I haven't collected every single crossed-swords icon in the game - am I supposed to do this?
Old 04 April 2005, 12:36   #12
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
I remember playing the Amiga Format demo and wanting the full game but not buying it for some reason.
Old 04 April 2005, 21:47   #13
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Great game from AUDIOGENIC.
Old 05 April 2005, 00:10   #14
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Okay, I've worked it out. You have to go into the room underneath the throne room and hang on the ceiling just below the king with the a wall clinging creature e.g. the mollusc or spider. Then the archer guards above the king try to shoot you, but hit the king instead. Once he's injured he won't be able to defend himself - so hit him with your sword.
Old 05 April 2005, 09:57   #15
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

New screens uploaded! (Spoiler warning)

http://hol.abime.net/2278/screenshot
Old 05 April 2005, 18:12   #16
NPI

so, nobody knows what's the deal with Vargula island?