English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 November 2009, 23:42   #1
Pyromania

WinUAE for Mac OS X?

Mac OS X is a great operating system but to put it lightly UAE sucks balls on it. I do know Toni hates PPC but I don't know if he does not like OS X. I am willing to give Tony a Intel based Mac and $1000 to port WinUAE to Mac OS X. Is anyone else in this with me and does Toni even like that idea?

Last edited by Pyromania; 08 November 2009 at 23:42. Reason: Typo
Old 09 November 2009, 00:01   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i manage ok with e-uae on OSX. it runs perfectly well, there are just a few things that need improvement. Development seems to have stopped, however, which i find frustrating on both OSX and on Linux. (actually more so on Linux because those bugs hinder my usage of it on the PS3)

However, if winuae was ported to OSX i would use it without a doubt, and if you want to offer $1000 and a nice shiney Mac to Toni, then i'll back that 100%
Old 09 November 2009, 00:07   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

You would be better off spending your money on Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and running WinUAE in that.

Windows applications will generally run faster in Parallels Desktop than when ported to Mac OS X.
Old 09 November 2009, 00:08   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I am willing to give Tony a Intel based Mac and $1000 to port WinUAE to Mac OS X.
What is this supposed to show? That you have too much money to spare? I really do not like such posts (and I censor myself here as otherwise this post would really not be nice to read!), do you think money will solve all problems or make it more "fun" to port something?
Old 09 November 2009, 00:16   #5
Leffmann

I would love to see WinUAE ported to OS X too. I have a lot of respect for Toni and I admire him for sticking to WinUAE and putting in so much time and effort and letting the rest of us benefit from it for free, but I have to say it's a shame it wasn't done with portability in mind from the start.

It's a very commendable donation from you Pyro. Even if I could give away a Mac and $1000 like that I'm not sure I would. I would consider a smaller donation like $10-20 though, and if more people feel the same then maybe we could raise the donation enough to find Toni's sweet spot so to speak
Old 09 November 2009, 00:18   #6
wilshy

Don't get me wrong I'd love the versatility of WinUAE but been using e-UAE on the Mac for nearly 3 years now & it hasn't been troubled by anything I throw at it. From a full on Workbench to some classic aga demos. All run pretty decently especially since it's last update with OpenGL rendering & uni binaries.
Old 09 November 2009, 00:23   #7
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
You would be better off spending your money on Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and running WinUAE in that.

Windows applications will generally run faster in Parallels Desktop than when ported to Mac OS X.
i've tried it and it's not a great experience tbh, plus you have to boot windows!

edit: if you're going to do that, you might as well just use BootCamp and be running Windows natively.

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 09 November 2009 at 00:43.
Old 09 November 2009, 02:30   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Well, I use Fusion 3.0 with WinUAE, as well as Hi-Toro, which is light years better on an Intel Mac than my old PPC G4. No need, at least for me, for Toni to work on an Intel WinUAE.
Old 09 November 2009, 02:31   #9
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
What is this supposed to show? That you have too much money to spare? I really do not like such posts (and I censor myself here as otherwise this post would really not be nice to read!), do you think money will solve all problems or make it more "fun" to port something?
No it shows that I use Windows less and less and want a OS X version of WinUAE.
Old 09 November 2009, 08:05   #10
Retro1234
Phone Homer

What about trying Wine?
Old 09 November 2009, 08:50   #11
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yep I often wondered if wine works on osX
in my opinion Pyromania your targeting the wrong person and should find a developer of equal worth in the mac community
Old 09 November 2009, 09:28   #12
chiark
Needs a life

I'm using VMWare fusion 3 and WinUAE... It works quite nicely.
Old 09 November 2009, 16:30   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sorry, I can't accept this offer. I do something because I want to do it, money does not matter. (for example I absolutely do not want to learn yet another assembly language or how "other" operating systems handle display, sound etc), also I won't and can't make any guarantees. Never. Sooner or later the complaints start if I have to promise something.

Anyway, IMHO this needs to made in small parts, for example one task would be rewrite of the GUI with something portable (like wxwidgets, MUST use native GUI elements, I hate "alien" GUIs) There is no point in having multiple GUI parts etc..

GUI rewrite is something I can volunteer, someday.. Anything that makes it more portable without taking "lowest common denominator API" path is fine with me.

You realy need someone who knows OSX specific programming (plus preferably C, Amiga and Windows knowledge) I am not interested.
Old 09 November 2009, 16:30   #14
Leffmann

I doubt you'll find an OS X dev who will gladly dive into the WinUAE source. It's so extensive that it will take a big effort to even get a decent understanding of it. The only one who seems to be able to even get it to compile on its intended Windows target without asking the help of others is Toni himself!

I run WinUAE through VirtualBox with the Direct 3D addon installed. There are some glitches and stretched graphics here and there and the mouse and keyboard interaction through the virtualization is a bit sluggish, but none of the alternatives I tried were any better.
Old 09 November 2009, 16:32   #15
Pyromania

No worries Toni, WinUAE works great on my Aspire One netbook that boots Android and XP. I might also pick up one of those new sexy Sony laptops that have HDMI out.

@cosmicfrog

We bought the commercial version of Wine (Crossover) and it did not run WinUAE nicely for us.

Last edited by Pyromania; 09 November 2009 at 17:49.
Old 09 November 2009, 20:04   #16
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
i manage ok with e-uae on OSX. it runs perfectly well, there are just a few things that need improvement. Development seems to have stopped, however, which i find frustrating on both OSX and on Linux.
There is a recent heir to e-uae called p-uae.
http://github.com/GnoStiC/PUAE
Old 09 November 2009, 22:15   #17
Dic_Ray

I agree with Pyromania to encourage Toni to port WinUAE to Mac OS X. Even I would participate in a donation action. Would like to let the dream come true.

Why we can't initiate a Bounty for this?
Old 09 November 2009, 22:18   #18
Pyromania

@Dic_Ray

I'll setup a bounty for this today, Toni is not interested though so we will have to attract another coder/coders for it.
Old 09 November 2009, 22:23   #19
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I`ll repeat for those that .......

Encourage a person from the mac community

Toin is willing to help

I`m not crapin the idea as I think its a good one, just need to find the right ppl
Old 09 November 2009, 22:47   #20
Pyromania

Bounty page is now up, please donate if you want to see a more modern version of UAE for Mac OS X.

http://www.discreetfx.com/UAE-OSX.html