English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 February 2016, 11:18   #41
eXeler0

I'd imagine that the idea for this project was conceived about the time Jens started planning for the Reloaded mobo (speculation on my part here, but it makes sense).
However for various reasons they fell behind Phil's Kickstarter and now the market is more saturated than ever I guess.

My render shows a case that can take any Amiga mobo up to A1200 size and also be generalised enough for all kinds of other projects.. mini itx stuff, standalone Natami computer and what not.. (yes that's the Natami logo in the render ;-)

The case is simple enough to not be ridiculously expensive to manufacture and while a niche, it is not that limiting actually.. you could fit 2 mini ITX boards in there (a PC and Natami in the same case ;-)
Also, a separate keyboard cuts a lot of development costs...
Old 17 February 2016, 12:55   #42
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
My render shows a case that can take any Amiga mobo up to A1200 size and also be generalised enough for all kinds of other projects.. mini itx stuff, standalone Natami computer and what not.. (yes that's the Natami logo in the render ;-)
I like that a lot. It's simple but the A1000 heritage is obvious. Really nice.
Old 17 February 2016, 13:13   #43
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
And here's a quick 3d model and render ;-)
I made the case dimensions so that it would fit a 1200 mobo (~20x42cm)

Text-link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwfy6q0g83...test1.png?dl=0
Nice. But where is DF0: ?
Old 17 February 2016, 13:58   #44
voyager_1701e

Quote:

Text-link:
That's a really cool looking case!
Old 17 February 2016, 15:32   #45
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:

Text-link:
Beautiful, simple and elegant. If this ever gets made and is at an affordable price, I will consider it very seriously.

Also, kinda related but a bit OT: I sort-of "hate" to say it, but I think the future of the Amiga is in the FPGA technology. In a few years time we'll see complete and "upgraded" Amigas built (programmed) entirely into an FPGA board. Those will fit on basically any computer case or box. Sure, the original hardware will always be special and always a lot more expensive, but if we want the Amiga platform to survive on the long run (and, especially, to evolve), then the future is on FPGA. Custom-made cases for these boards would be awesome.
Old 17 February 2016, 20:06   #46
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Yes, a new Amiga style custom case that also catered for classic machines wherever possible might be the best bet.

Maybe Schiumpy could talk with the Apollo core guys and perhaps even collaborate - you should get an attach rate of one custom case per standalone Apollo board at least. I could see 500 to 1000 initial pre-orders for such a device, with more coming onboard as word spreads on the internet.
Old 18 February 2016, 00:21   #47
eXeler0

Thanx guys, @Predseda, once you start putting the details in, suddenly some more thought about the design vs functions is required. ;-)
Old 26 March 2016, 15:14   #48
Schuimpy
AMIGA CASE

AMIGA CASE : Officially licensed by Amiga Inc.

Dear Amigans,

I am very proud and exited to announce the AMIGA CASE project is now officially licensed by Amiga Inc., which means the original Amiga logo will be on the AMIGA CASE.

Its going very fast now and you can expect the launch of the campaign soon.

Next week I'll come with a more detailed update.

Thank you very very much for your patience.

Schuimpy
Old 26 March 2016, 16:14   #49
Amiga1992

Good to hear an update from you Schuimpy. Looking forward to this.
Old 26 March 2016, 18:49   #50
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuimpy View Post
AMIGA CASE : Officially licensed by Amiga Inc.

Dear Amigans,

I am very proud and exited to announce the AMIGA CASE project is now officially licensed by Amiga Inc., which means the original Amiga logo will be on the AMIGA CASE.

Its going very fast now and you can expect the launch of the campaign soon.

Thank you very very much for your patience.

Schuimpy
@Schuimpy In your original post you mentioned that Amiga Reloaded buyers would be in for a surprise, any chance you can shed some light on the timeframe for the Reloaded availability and if your campaign is in any way synced with it.
(Meaning, will we know if the Reloaded will happen at the time your campaign will be active. )
Old 26 March 2016, 23:13   #51
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Any chance we can get a case with a slim cdrom slot in it.
Old 27 March 2016, 20:20   #52
Schuimpy
AMIGA CASE

Thanks for your interest but sorry, can´t say anything about that. You have to wait untill launch of the campaign.

Quote:
@Schuimpy In your original post you mentioned that Amiga Reloaded buyers would be in for a surprise, any chance you can shed some light on the timeframe for the Reloaded availability and if your campaign is in any way synced with it.
(Meaning, will we know if the Reloaded will happen at the time your campaign will be active. )
Old 27 March 2016, 21:49   #53
kipper2k

looking at the video i see there is ample space to allow for a cut so a CF card can be used using an external CF adapter, I don't understand your reasoning for either not including the cut out or making a breakaway piece to allow the use of it ?
Old 27 March 2016, 22:04   #54
spudje

I think someone should design a 3,5 inch bay/cover that has both USB and CF. Sinds this case contains two standard 3,5 inch openings! So no additional space above the PCMCIA slot.

Very looking forward to the case a well!
Old 27 March 2016, 22:10   #55
kipper2k

older motherboards should still be able to take advantage of the space above the pcmcias slot as an option
Old 29 March 2016, 19:11   #56
Schuimpy
AMIGA CASE

Hi Kipper2k,

Your external cf card reader is very nice product and I investigated many options to support it. But as you may understand every extra feature has pros and cons and has its consequences for the molds, in costs and the (building) quality of the AMIGA CASE.
Weighing the pros and cons I decided not to make an extra opening for your external cf adapter. I refer to our previous emails about this.

The opening you are refering to is made for the classic Amiga pcmcia port and for the external cf card reader of the upcoming Amiga Reloaded motherboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
looking at the video i see there is ample space to allow for a cut so a CF card can be used using an external CF adapter, I don't understand your reasoning for either not including the cut out or making a breakaway piece to allow the use of it ?
Old 29 March 2016, 19:15   #57
kipper2k

Quote:
Hi Kipper2k,

Your external cf card reader is very nice product and I investigated many options to support it. But as you may understand every extra feature has pros and cons and has its consequences for the molds, in costs and the (building) quality of the AMIGA CASE.
Weighing the pros and cons I decided not to make an extra opening for your external cf adapter. I refer to our previous emails about this.

The opening you are refering to is made for the classic Amiga pcmcia port and for the external cf card reader of the upcoming Amiga Reloaded motherboard.

There are a lot of A1200 owners out there that would probably miss this option as there are a lot of external CF cards out there. Does this mean you are forsaking the original motherboard ?
Old 29 March 2016, 19:16   #58
Schuimpy
AMIGA CASE

3d models of the 3,5 inch bay covers will be available to work with to make your own covers.

Standard, the covers will come with pre cut USB connection holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I think someone should design a 3,5 inch bay/cover that has both USB and CF. Sinds this case contains two standard 3,5 inch openings! So no additional space above the PCMCIA slot.

Very looking forward to the case a well!
Old 30 March 2016, 14:35   #59
PaulG

Arrow Amiga A1200 Case

Great news about the licence. I want two

Quote:
Crowdfunding campaign for:

AMIGA CASE

The Ultimate Retro Style Computer Case

Officially licensed by Amiga Inc.

Video
[ Show youtube player ]

Key Features of the AMIGA CASE

· Designed for classic Amiga 1200 hardware
· Designed for the Thin Mini-ITX form factor, Raspberry PI 1B+/2/3 and Keyrah V2 keyboard adapter
·
Designed for usage with internal and external keyboards
·
Can function as a keyboard stand
·
Open case design – for placement of multiple systems
·
Removable and replaceable back plates
·
Adjustable placement in height of the Amiga 1200 motherboard
·
More useful space for Amiga 1200 owners
·
Two 3,5 inch bays to build in devices of your choice
·
Covers for the 3,5 inch expansion bays with pre cut USB connection holes

· Recessed Air vents for Amiga 1200 accelerators and the Thin Mini-ITX motherboard
·
High quality plastics with UV stabilizer (no more yellowing)
·
High quality screw points with blind brass inserts
·
Future-proof due to the 'open' design.

The AMIGA CASE will be available in black and white.

It comes with the top cover of your choice. One for usage with the classic Amiga 1200 keyboard, one for usage with an external keyboard.

Prices / Perks
Available from € 59,- for one AMIGA CASE (limited early bird edition)
Available from € 55,- per AMIGA CASE if you contribute for two cases. (Available during the whole campaign).

For people who are considering on buying an Amiga Reloaded motherboard in 2016 from Individual Computers, you will be in for a nice surprise !

Crowdfunding will be done through Indiegogo.com. One of the biggest crowdfunding websites in the world. Preferable above Kickstarter due to the lower fees and PayPal support.

The launch of the campaign on Indiegogo is planned on December 3 2015.

The video and pictures will give you a good idea of what to expect from the campaign and the concept of the AMIGA CASE. Of course the actual campaign itself will give you more inside information.

Please use this thread for all your questions and comments. I really appreciate your feedback, it is very valuable for this project. Please do not PM me unless this absolutely necessary, thank you.

Return to this thread frequently for updates.

Kind Regards,

Jarno Smit
Designer / Campaign Manager of the AMIGA CASE

Official supporters of the Amiga CASE:
- Individual Computers
- Retro 7-bit
- KryoFlux

Update 26-11-2015 : added 3 extra pictures

Update 29-11-2015

To date, there is no reason to postpone the launch on December 3. I am happy to share this news with you.

To be able to contribute to my campaign on Indiegogo it is necessary to have a PayPal account.

On Indiegogo most campaigns have flexible goals. The campaign for the AMIGA CASE will have a fixed goal because a minimum amount of money has to be raised for making the molds and for completing the project. For more information about flexible and fixed goals, I refer to Indiegogo.com .

UPDATE 03-12-15

Dear Amigans,

I have to postpone the crowdfunding campaign due to unforeseen matters, hammering down the final details. I know some of you will be disappointed, but I want to do it the first time right. I will come with a next update as soon as possible.

Update 26-03-2016

I have great news:
The AMIGA CASE project is now officially licensed by Amiga Inc.
The original Amiga logo will be on the AMIGA CASE !!!
Video is available again. Pictures not yet up to date.

Kind Regards,
Jarno Smit
Old 01 April 2016, 06:35   #60
ifrit05

I'm super hyped about this, just hope you'll be able to ship to the States once it's over!