English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 18 July 2009, 17:36   #1
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

Aminet 2

I'm looking for Aminet CD 2. As far as I know the first Aminet CD was released by Walnut Creek, but the 2nd was released by Schatztruhe.

It is one of the few I am missing. Anyone have it?
Old 18 July 2009, 17:39   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You can find Aminet CD 2 on the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633) in the folder 'AminetCD/Stuff from the Aminet 01'. The 'SET1B' is CD 2
Old 18 July 2009, 17:44   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
The 'SET1B' is CD 2
No! AFAIK, this is incorrect. Set 1 might contain all the files from Aminet CDs 1-4, plus a few extras, but they are not arranged in such a way that the CDs are equivalent.
Old 18 July 2009, 17:52   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, okay. Thought they simply packed 4 CDs together.
Old 18 July 2009, 18:15   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

@All,

The Aminet Sets are not equivalent to the individual Aminet CDs until Set 10.

This is what djp posted in the FTP Server thread just prior to uploading Sets 2-10 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
from set 10 they are the same as single cds (in fact these cds are labeled aminet 36-39 instead of set10a,set10b etc)
The text files I compiled, on which DH based the 'Important Files & Directories' notes on the EAB Aminet DVD covers, were prepared in accordance with the Aminet CDs 1-52 and Aminet Games CD.

Therefore, strictly speaking, these covers are not suitable for CDs from the Aminet Sets prior to Set 10.

Edit: I imagine that the reason why Aminet Set 10 is not, as you would expect, equivalent to Aminet CDs 37-40, is that the content from the Aminet Games CD was included in an earlier set.
Old 18 July 2009, 19:57   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

@Anyone interested,

Of the Aminet CDs without an equivalent in the Aminet Sets (that is, Aminet CDs 1-35 and the Aminet Games CD), I have CDs 1, 3, 10, 15 and the Aminet Games CD.

My internet connection is still too flakey to start uploading large files by FTP. In November, I will be able to get around that problem by upgrading to a virtually unlimited service at no extra charge, just by signing up for a further two years.

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in a copy of any of these Aminet CDs, PM me and I will supply it FOC, on condition that they undertake to upload to the EAB Server for other users.
Old 19 July 2009, 16:16   #7
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

K, some research suggest that Walnut Creek may have released more than 1 Aminet CD.

The Schatztruhe CDs do start with Aminet 2. The Sets, as stated, don't line up with the CDs until Set 11. Set 1 is a complete mirror of the Aminet as it was in 1994 (minus some material they didn't have permission to include on CDs). However, the very early Aminet CDs include some material which was deleted from the Aminet before the release of Aminet Set 1.

I'd rather an original CD, but will take an ISO if anyone knows where I might find it.
Old 22 July 2009, 14:10   #8
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDose View Post
The Schatztruhe CDs do start with Aminet 2.
This might not be right. My source for this was wiki.aminet.net/Aminet_CD_2

However, there is a dearth of into on Aminet CD 2.

Looking carefully at the review on Aminet of Aminet CD 3, it seems to suggest that CD 3 is the first produced by Schatztruhe with the new pricing (share and gold).

If you look at the release date given for Aminet CD 2 it co-incides with the snapshop date of one of the Walnut Creek CDs - Feb 1994. This CD has a black cover with purple highlights and a logo of yellow type on a red background.

Aminet CD (1) from Walnut Creek is the pink/purple cover.

So there exists some possibilities:
1. Walnut Creek released the first 2 Aminet CDs in June 1993 and March 1994 (snapshots of April 93 and Feb 94), and then Schatztruhe continued on with Aminet 3 (June 94)
2. Walnut Creek released 2 or more Aminet CDs, one of which was released at the same time as Aminet 2 by Schatztruhe.
3... Some other situation

Anyone able to remember this far back, or have reviews of Aminet CD 1, 2 or 3?
Old 22 July 2009, 18:58   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Aminet CD (1) from Walnut Creek is the pink/purple cover.
Correct. My Aminet Walnut Creek CDROM has the pink/purple cover and is dated April 1993 (the snapshot date). However, the disc itself is dated June 1993 (the release date).

Quote:
Walnut Creek released the first 2 Aminet CDs in June 1993 and March 1994 (snapshots of April 93 and Feb 94), and then Schatztruhe continued on with Aminet 3 (June 94)
AFAIK, this is correct, except that Aminet 3 was released in July 1994; though the snapshot date was probably June 1994.

My Schatztruhe Aminet 3 CD is dated July 1994. However, I do not have the cover and insert for this disc. I bought it brand new and sealed in 2005 from oldsoftware.com in Salt Lake City. The jewel case has a 'Made in Canada' sticker on the back, and the CD itself has 'Made in Canada' printed underneath the Compact Disc logo - the only Aminet CD in my collection to do so.
Old 26 July 2009, 11:14   #10
peo

Quote:
I'm looking for Aminet CD 2. As far as I know the first Aminet CD was released by Walnut Creek, but the 2nd was released by Schatztruhe.

It is one of the few I am missing. Anyone have it?
Have it (I have every Aminet CD up to #43)!

Just have to find it (it's not in its original case).

/PeO

Found it

Last edited by peo; 26 July 2009 at 11:27. Reason: found it :)
Old 27 July 2009, 15:32   #11
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

Found it???

OK, so is it Aminet CD 2 by Schatztruhe or by Walnut creek?

What does the CD look like? Is there a date on it?

THANKSKSKSKSKSkskaa!!!!!!
Old 28 July 2009, 00:57   #12
peo

It's the Walnut Creek CDROM.

The front of the case is on a black background with an oval ( aminet ) (red background, yellow border, yellow text), and a rectangle [ AMIGA ] (green outer border, yellow inner border, red background and yellow text)..

Date (on CD) March 1994,and February 1994 (on the back)