English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 05 November 2003, 15:02   #1
Bloodwych

Applications for future ClassicWB.........

What were the last versions of Dpaint V and Final Copy II to be released?

I have the originals of both (which can be found in the ClassicWB) sporting the following version info:

FC II Release 1 Oct 12th 1992
DPaint V Version 5.0 1994

Are there any more recent versions? I have a feeling they may be a more recent Dpaint V, version 5.1 or something.

While I'm on the subject, what are the best Word Processor and graphics programs for the A1200?

Any other top class old school productive software you think should be in the ClassicWB install?

Spreadsheets?
Database Progs?

Suggestions welcome.

As are Zone submissions.
Old 05 November 2003, 17:00   #2
ant512

Re: Applications for future ClassicWB.........

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
While I'm on the subject, what are the best Word Processor and graphics programs for the A1200?
Digita Wordworth 7 and PPaint 7.
Old 05 November 2003, 23:53   #3
Amigaboy

Funny you should ask about software, Bloodwych.
Only recently was there an Amiga.org discussion about the very topic: http://amiga.org/modules/newbb/viewt...=12247&forum=9
That may be able to help you out.

Old 06 November 2003, 09:05   #4
yadster

To be honest I can't really think of any other utilities that I would use. I already have Wordworth 7 and Protext installed but that's due to a personal preferance. Maybe a CD player, Scala, MonEd, MP3 player and ...... well I'm really clutching at straws because I think you have all bases covered.

Maybe you could create some game or demo packs as you already have the directories created. I'm not sure about the legalities but I guess there are plenty of games that are now in the public domain which are okay to use. You could perhaps have an A1200 standard pack that has games that will run off a bog standard 1200 with a hard drive and WHD/JST. Then there's all sorts of possibilities, a KICKASS pack, DOOM/FPS pack, ADVENTURE pack, WORMS pack, AGA ONLY pack, FIGHTING .... well I'm sure you get the idea

Then there's the possibility to have demo packs, diskmag packs. One that I would be interested in is an emulator pack. I've only really used ZXAM which is a great Speccy emulator but if you look on Aminet the amount of emulators is quite scary and bewildering and without trying each and everyone I haven't a clue as to which is the best and most compatible. Again you'd have to be careful because of the legalities but there are many PD games and demos to be had not just for the Speccy but also the SNES etc - besides I'm sure most people won't find it too hard to get their own games

One option I would like if you created a game pack is the option of been able to choose which hard drive to install them to (DH0, DH1 etc). I'm not really a techy Amigan so I don't really know if that is feasible or not.

Anyway thanks again for all your hard work and after installing the new ADV pack on a spare miggy all I can say is WOW.
Old 06 November 2003, 11:14   #5
Bloodwych

Thanks for the advice guys and link amigaboy.

I'm really just playing with ideas of what else to add/update to the standard pack. In all probability I'll just leave it as it is or it'll start to get too large.

Yadster, those packs are a good idea but I think it's best just to let peeps add what they want after the basic install or Rck will start charging me for bandwidth usage!

It's easy BTW to change what drive (eg DH1: DH2: ) games/programs/demos etc are on and I've included instructions in the Tips_FAQ text.

Everything (popup menus, Filetype icons, shortcuts) uses root assigns to point to the files. These root assigns are found at the start of the user-startup file in the s directory - just change those to where the files are and everything in the WB is updated at once.

So for instance, you could drag the programs folder to DH1: and change the s/user_startupfile to read Assign A-Programs: DH1:Programs and all will be well. Same for games, demos, myfiles and temp.
Old 06 November 2003, 11:20   #6
mtb

Re: Applications for future ClassicWB.........

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Any other top class old school productive software you think should be in the ClassicWB install?
Zshell instead of the standard shell + kingcon would be better imo ( less memory used and faster ).
Old 06 November 2003, 12:03   #7
Bloodwych

Thanks for the pointer mtb.

Zshell definitely has some powerful features and is the better choice for die hard shell users, but it's also lacking some simple features too.

Kcon has the scroll bar on the right and you can position the cursor using the mouse. Plus, it actually seems faster to me, especially when listing directories.

For the way I use shell (which is fairly basic), I actually like Kcon better - it adds only the extra features I want. Zshell lacks some of the things I like about Kcon and adds a load of stuff I'll probably never use.

Again, it depends on personal opinion and how you use shell.