English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 04 June 2017, 01:52   #1
th4t1guy

Building an adapters for the external IDE port on SX1

Has anyone with an SX1 ever tried using the external IDE port? I was looking at the pinout diagram, and thought it would be fun to solder together a CF or SD adapter to work with this.

Unfortunately, I don't know if there's any issues using this when I'm already using the internal IDE connector.

So far I've found this page:
http://old.pinouts.ru/HD/ParavisionIDE_pinout.shtml

But I think I would like to use the power from the pins with a 44-pin ide instead. Can anyone think of any issues or reasons not to do this?
Old 04 June 2017, 17:45   #2
th4t1guy

I'm thinking of going with something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA27C3TX5586

to wire to a CF card adapter. I'm using this link as a reference to the pinout for 44pin IDE:
http://pinoutguide.com/HD/Ata44Internal_pinout.shtml

However, I've noticed pin 41 and 42 are +5V for logic and motor, while the pinouts listed for the SX1 just lists as +5V on pin 18 and 19.

Anyone know if these are interchangeable? I guess I could just try mapping 41 to 18 and 42 to 19 and see if it works.
Old 04 June 2017, 17:58   #3
amigoun

I have sucesfully build that cable and it worked fine together with internal. Its nice it has 5V power in port so CF adapters can be powered directly.
I sill have the cable, but SX1 is sold long ago
BTW. regarding the pinout, check also the SX1 manual for pinout. As far as I remember, there was some difference between pinout.ru and that one in manual leading me to check every pin on internal/ext to ensure having it correct.
Old 05 June 2017, 13:55   #4
xArtx

No, but I have thought about using that spare port cutout for the internal CF I haven't checked it's wide enough or not.
Old 05 June 2017, 20:07   #5
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
check also the SX1 manual for pinout. As far as I remember, there was some difference between pinout.ru and that one in manual
Good to know! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx
No, but I have thought about using that spare port cutout for the internal CF I haven't checked it's wide enough or not.
It's too small for a CF, but I believe an SD card would fit. You could always snake cables out of there as well, but that won't look as elegant.
Old 28 July 2017, 13:34   #6
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
I have sucesfully build that cable and it worked fine together with internal. Its nice it has 5V power in port so CF adapters can be powered directly.
I sill have the cable, but SX1 is sold long ago
BTW. regarding the pinout, check also the SX1 manual for pinout. As far as I remember, there was some difference between pinout.ru and that one in manual leading me to check every pin on internal/ext to ensure having it correct.
Do you still have the cable?