English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 February 2019, 16:32   #1
Tavis

I Need a Kickstart Disk

Hi.

I just acquired an A1000 from a friend and surprisingly it appears to be working after sitting in a garage for 30 years. But out of the pile of disks I got, there is no Kickstart disk and that’s what it’s asking for. I never had an Amiga so I am a total newb but I’m anxious to learn all about it. I was a poor kid with 8-bits back then but now I have my chance!

I’ve been poking around the internet for possible solutions like an SD card floppy emulator or some PC to Serial Port transfer tools and they all seem to not be able to help me out since the A1000 must have a kickstart disk to bootstrap me.

I’m pretty amazed how hard this is. I searched all over the internet to purchase one but no luck except for one that was available for sale on eBay but he is in the UK. I bought it anyway but it won’t be here for over a month.

I was wondering if anyone in the USA would be willing to burn and send me one?! I’m really anxious to see if I can get this thing to do more than stare at me with a hand holding a floppy on the screen!

If anyone is up for it I’ll pay you for the disk, time, and shipping.

Thanks!

-Tavis
Old 21 February 2019, 16:34   #2
Jope
-

An SD floppy emulator is totally fine, you can select the kickstart disk from there and have the machine load it up.

To avoid any chicken/egg problems, better get one with an oled screen, so you don't have to use the selector.
Old 21 February 2019, 16:50   #3
Tavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
An SD floppy emulator is totally fine, you can select the kickstart disk from there and have the machine load it up.

To avoid any chicken/egg problems, better get one with an oled screen, so you don't have to use the selector.
Any recommendations? And is there a way to hook one up without removing the original drive?
Old 21 February 2019, 19:39   #4
R4M

You can connect it to the external disk connector if you install an internal Bootswitch.

Looks pretty much like that:

https://restore-store.de/home/21-ami...by-bobbel.html

and just switches two connections of the CIAA chip (13 and 14 I think). You can also find good DIY tutorials online. The parts are less than 5 bucks.

There's also a nice project online, which allows you to read an write Amiga disks on your PC. http://amiga.robsmithdev.co.uk/instructions
Old 21 February 2019, 22:07   #5
Tavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4M View Post
You can connect it to the external disk connector if you install an internal Bootswitch.

Looks pretty much like that:

https://restore-store.de/home/21-ami...by-bobbel.html

and just switches two connections of the CIAA chip (13 and 14 I think). You can also find good DIY tutorials online. The parts are less than 5 bucks.

There's also a nice project online, which allows you to read an write Amiga disks on your PC. http://amiga.robsmithdev.co.uk/instructions
Ok I like the idea but it’s too involved at this stage since I don’t know a thing about amigas or if this one even works or not. For starters I think I just need to get me a kickstart disk.
Old 21 February 2019, 23:01   #6
R4M

If you don't mind to open your 1000, you can just remove the connector of the internal disk and connect it to the gotek drive. If you set the the jumpers of the latter to S0, this should work.
Old 21 February 2019, 23:12   #7
Tavis

Quote:
If you don't mind to open your 1000, you can just remove the connector of the internal disk and connect it to the gotek drive. If you set the the jumpers of the latter to S0, this should work.
I could do that. I don't have a drive yet because what I have been reading, theres no (at least simple) way to make it work on a 1000 because of the need for a kickstart disk.

Jope above mentioned it can be done. Just not sure how or which one I would need to buy.

As I mentioned above. I have no idea of the condition of this machine yet so I think I am better off not spending too much money on it yet to find out wether its in good working order or not. I'll just keep seeking out a Kickstart disk for now.
Old 22 February 2019, 12:26   #8
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Any Amiga user near you can make you one using http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/WriteKickDisk and a 256kb ROM image. If I was closer I'd help you out!
Old 22 February 2019, 15:11   #9
Tavis

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Any Amiga user near you can make you one using http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/WriteKickDisk and a 256kb ROM image. If I was closer I'd help you out!
Yep the hard part is finding someone local for finding an old PC with a floppy drive. All my floppy drives are attached to vintage 8 bit machines!

Bootstrapping the Apple ][ was a breeze with ADTPro and a null modem cable. I think there is something similar for the Amiga that I can use to copy software once I do get a kickstart disk.

I would think there’d be a store online with stacks of kickstart disks available.

Off topic question: my case screws on bottom are missing or seem wrong. Are they Supposed to be BOLTS or screws? Are the the same ones used in other Amiga models?

Last edited by Tavis; 22 February 2019 at 15:17.
Old 22 February 2019, 15:24   #10
R4M

In Germany there is a store which still sells Kickstarts

https://www.vesalia.de/e_kickstartdisk.htm

Don't know too much about US shops.
Old 22 February 2019, 16:05   #11
Tavis

Quote:
In Germany there is a store which still sells Kickstarts

https://www.vesalia.de/e_kickstartdisk.htm

Don't know too much about US shops.
Ah yes I did run across that one.
Old 22 February 2019, 17:57   #12
R4M

Looks like vesalia has a license to sell ROMs and disks from cloanto. I would guess that they make the disks on demand (since the latter should be extremely small).

So maybe you could ask any shop which sells ROMs if they would also sell Kickstart disks. ROMs should be more common and therefore it might be easier to find those first.
Old 22 February 2019, 19:24   #13
TjLaZer

You have a right to download and write a Kickstart disk as the machine sold with one as it cannot be used without it. I’m sure you can find an Amiga user who can write you a disk and mail it to you.
Old 01 March 2019, 08:10   #14
Tavis

I got some kickstart disks and was able to boot up into workbench. It works! Now I just need to find a keyboard and mouse and start transferring software to it with ADF Sender Terminal.

Thanks for the disks Signman!