Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 20 March 2002, 07:39   #1
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Persian Gulf / North Sea Inferno

Are these two the same games ?

Persian Gulf Inferno
North Sea Inferno

Seen the screenshots and they do seem the same.

TC
Old 20 March 2002, 08:09   #2
jmmijo

They both were published by Magic Bytes, North Sea Inferno in 1989 and Persian Gulf Inferno in 1990. Check out this site for more info on them.

http://www.bhlegend.com/php/show.php...no&list=search
Old 20 March 2002, 09:54   #3
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Hmm... I posted a request for that game on the GAEB recently...

--
I'm looking for the censored version of Persian Gulf Inferno called North Sea Inferno. I know that the titlepic was altered in that version, but I'm not sure if other things were altered too.
--
Old 20 March 2002, 10:01   #4
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Ahh, so it was only censored then ? I tried looking for an .adf of it with no luck.

btw. if you look at the files on the floppy you will see that even though it says Persian Gulf Inferno, all files have NSI* infront of them
Old 20 March 2002, 14:46   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I know that the US version is slightly different than the Euro version, but I don't know if the game was ever published under the title North Sea Inferno (on the Amiga); never seen any evidence of this anyway. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 20 March 2002, 15:28   #6
RetroMan

I once had a version with the title screen saying "North Sea Inferno" but I cannot confirm if it was published that way or just a kind of "hack" with an altered title screen But it was YEARS ago and most of my first Amiga collection disappeared, since I sold my first Amiga back then ....
Old 20 March 2002, 18:11   #7
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I know that the US version is slightly different than the Euro version, but I don't know if the game was ever published under the title North Sea Inferno (on the Amiga); never seen any evidence of this anyway. Can anyone confirm this?
YA MAD YUU!

Ahem... Anyway, I can confirm that this is indeed an original game and published on the Amiga by Magic Bytes (developer "micro-partner Software GmbH") in 1990. The version we have at CAPS is the German version (actually we have 2 copies of the game) - although the game itself is in English.

As for copy protection, it seems that every track is a "long track" and very nearly all are of a custom format (so you would not be able to copy them (in e.g. XCopy) even without the long tracks). More info will be available when it is reverse engineered.

As for Persian Gulf - I have no idea. This is the version I used to have, but I do not have it any longer
Old 20 March 2002, 19:34   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, I have an original (US) of Persian Gulf Inferno, plus the usual cracks of the game. Glad to know CAPS has the North Sea version. I should already know this, but you know how lax I am and how far I let myself get behind in stuff (which is why you don't hear from me for months at a time! )
Old 21 March 2002, 10:37   #9
fiath

Hehe, no problem. :o)
Great to know you have Persian Gulf!! (I love this game)

Actually, it is Christian who has this game - and so it is not on "the list" (yet) anyway.

However, in usual Christian style it is dumped - in fact both copies are - and they both look to be 100% *from the checks made so far*. Obviously the custom tracks will have to be reverse engineered before we can say positively if it is totally 100% or not.

But both disks are in good condition. For others reading this, yes we can tell this from the dumps! Older games begin to vary in certain things, the most obvious being density along a track (slight variations - not copy protection and obviously not intentional). This is slightly over-simplified since the older type of mastering hardware(s) used on disks from around 1986-1989 was "not very good" to say the least. But peliminary tests show they have a very good probability of being good dumps from good disks.

More to come when the analyser is finished (see - now old - WIP). Only a few more things to do now.
Old 21 March 2002, 11:52   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, this week I have already received two big boxes of games with about 100 games. Maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of it was dupes, however, but this is useful for comparison dumps. A lot of US titles this time out, so that stuff is kinda different. I finally completeed my Jack Nicklaus Course Disk collection (I now have all five...the whole set is pretty hard to come by, I think). And some other stuff. I really need to get you an updated list. That is if Christian leaves anything to be dumped!
Old 21 March 2002, 15:26   #11
fiath

Cool!

Yeah, I know what you mean about Christian. He is currently on about 5 games dumped per day. It adds up. The last few days however he dumped about 15 games per day - obviously some of these are multi-disk too.

Mind you, on his super-fast Amiga (060) dumping to RAM - it does not take him as long to dump stuff as it does you or I.

(he uploads via a University connection straight from his Amiga)
Old 21 March 2002, 23:52   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Aye Carumba! That's a pretty massive workload! Maybe after he gets all of those done and is twiddling his thumbs, he can scan the boxes of the obscurities!

I need to see a list of all he has dumped...
Old 22 March 2002, 00:36   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
PGI - 512 K?

Pardon me for jumping in here ...

but as you're talking about PGI: Kieron, does the original version work on a stock 512 K Amiga WITHOUT RAM expansion?
AFAIK, the cracked version never worked with a 512K Amiga, at least none of the various versions spread around ever did.
Old 22 March 2002, 12:31   #14
fiath

Quote:
Aye Carumba! That's a pretty massive workload! Maybe after he gets all of those done and is twiddling his thumbs, he can scan the boxes of the obscurities!

I need to see a list of all he has dumped...
Yeah, a "dump list" in on the "todo" list - so when I get the time...

Actually Christian says he spends 30 hours a week scanning box art, manual etc! He sends it all in to The Legacy.
Old 22 March 2002, 12:34   #15
fiath

Re: PGI - 512 K?

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Pardon me for jumping in here ...

but as you're talking about PGI: Kieron, does the original version work on a stock 512 K Amiga WITHOUT RAM expansion?
AFAIK, the cracked version never worked with a 512K Amiga, at least none of the various versions spread around ever did.
Not sure, I will have to check when I get home... Obviously this will be NSI and not PGI though.... Though I guess they are likely to be the same.

Kieron
Old 22 March 2002, 19:41   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Actually Christian says he spends 30 hours a week scanning box art, manual etc! He sends it all in to The Legacy. [/B]
The Legacy?! Yeesh, they put their lame url on the scans and make it useless for anything but their site. Ugh...oh well. Maybe HOL can convince him to donate virgin copies to our database (where we will have no watermarks and will offer more than simply front scans...)
Old 22 March 2002, 19:57   #17
jmmijo

@Faith, when are you going to send out that CAPS dumping disk to me, you have already emailed me saying you were. Something about finishing it up you mentioned in the last email to me

Just getting eager to contribute to CAPS and to Amiga archinving in general
Old 25 March 2002, 13:04   #18
fiath

Hi jmmijo,

Yeah, sorry it is taking so long. It is finished, but while adding AmigaOS 2.x support, I introduced a nasty bug which I have so far not been able to fix... (this is not the dumping software itself, but the AmigaDOS scripts that drive the s/w).

Anyway, shoot me a mail and I will send it out to you asap as soon as it is done (probably in a couple of days).
Old 25 March 2002, 13:05   #19
fiath

Quote:

The Legacy?! Yeesh, they put their lame url on the scans and make it useless for anything but their site. Ugh...oh well. Maybe HOL can convince him to donate virgin copies to our database (where we will have no watermarks and will offer more than simply front scans...)
I'll ask...
Old 25 March 2002, 19:07   #20
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Hi jmmijo,

Yeah, sorry it is taking so long. It is finished, but while adding AmigaOS 2.x support, I introduced a nasty bug which I have so far not been able to fix... (this is not the dumping software itself, but the AmigaDOS scripts that drive the s/w).

Anyway, shoot me a mail and I will send it out to you asap as soon as it is done (probably in a couple of days).
I'll be sure to do this, thanks to you and everyone helping in this fantastic dumping/archiving project

One other thing, are you folks also wanting dumps from PD/Sharware disks? I have a few disks from the Software of the Month Club as well as a local Amiga user group. Hopefully I'll have some more obscure stuff that you don't know about or have