English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 22 February 2012, 22:51   #161
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Works very well, must admit scanlines works well to my eyes.

Was going to request a way to constrain aspect for fullscreen, but damn it you've already done it! This is working perfectly to emulate my 500 for ECS demos.

Now time to set up a Picasso96 environment and give it a full work out.

To say I'm impressed with the speed you've pulled this together would be an understatement. Tip top work.
Glad it's working so well for you! -but have to disappoint you with Picasso96. FS-UAE does not emulate this yet (mostly because it's not needed for games), but I do secretly plan to add Picasso96 support.
Old 23 February 2012, 01:31   #162
PHabermehl

Frode - just registered here because I thought that part of our communication might be of interest for others.

For now, just let me say that I'm very impressed on how fs-uae evolves and that I'm pretty happy with what you do!

Many thanks again!
Peter
Old 23 February 2012, 01:36   #163
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Glad it's working so well for you! -but have to disappoint you with Picasso96. FS-UAE does not emulate this yet (mostly because it's not needed for games), but I do secretly plan to add Picasso96 support.
No longer secret now ... lol

Just tried the emulator... WOW! How fast does it run! The only problem is, I cannot see the menu screen on pressing F12 so I have to set everything in config before hand - no big issue, but would be grateful if someone could print screen the relevant menu screens so I know how to 'move around' the menu!

BTW I have installed the OpenAL32.dll drivers and latest graphics card drivers which supports OpenGL... (despite it being an Intel GMA 950 Mobility Express Chipset!)

Also another 'bug' possibly. If you run SpeedBall 2 it runs fine initially, but if you ALT-TAB out then on returning you will notice pressing any key will actually 'pause' the game (this is an issue which causes desync on the WinUAEXP hence fails to work properly unless you use a gamepad!)

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 23 February 2012 at 06:04.
Old 23 February 2012, 12:33   #164
Gaula92

Sorry to ask again, sir, but... have you added NTSC support? I'm asking because I read you were adding it in the next version and I can't see it in the changelogs still.
Thanks!
Old 23 February 2012, 12:47   #165
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Having a lunch break here, so I can answer a couple of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHabermehl View Post
Frode - just registered here because I thought that part of our communication might be of interest for others.

For now, just let me say that I'm very impressed on how fs-uae evolves and that I'm pretty happy with what you do!

Many thanks again!
Peter
Yes, corresponding here is better

Btw, regarding keyboard layout, I have also disovered that two other international keys was not mapped (one of them is the key to the left of Z -or left of Y on German Amiga keyboard). This will be fixed in the coming version:
* Keys are now "positionally" mapped (as far as possible) from host keyboard
to amiga keys (some exceptions because of physically different layout:
home = lparen, page up = rparen, delete = del, end = help,
insert is mapped to the amiga key to the left of backspace, and page down
to right amiga key in case the host keyboard has no right windows/apple/menu
key)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
The only problem is, I cannot see the menu screen on pressing F12 so I have to set everything in config before hand - no big issue, but would be grateful if someone could print screen the relevant menu screens so I know how to 'move around' the menu!

BTW I have installed the OpenAL32.dll drivers and latest graphics card drivers which supports OpenGL... (despite it being an Intel GMA 950 Mobility Express Chipset!)
Haven't got time now to do screenshots right now, but I will try to find a computer with this chipset and see if I can fix the problem.

Quote:
Also another 'bug' possibly. If you run SpeedBall 2 it runs fine initially, but if you ALT-TAB out then on returning you will notice pressing any key will actually 'pause' the game (this is an issue which causes desync on the WinUAEXP hence fails to work properly unless you use a gamepad!)
Well, actually, "any" key is supposed to pause the game as far as I know (From the manual: "ANY OTHER KEY - Pauses the game - press any key to release")

That being said, there is a known problem where the ALT key is stuck when alt-tabbing out and back again (must currently press and release ALT after return to FS-UAE to release it). (Possible easy fix for me is to always clear the ALT state when FS-UAE receives focus).

In any case, it will not cause FS-UAE netplay to desync! I have not tried WinUAEXP and cannot comment on that, but FS-UAE's netplay should ideally never desync under any circumstance (barring bugs, of course )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
Sorry to ask again, sir, but... have you added NTSC support? I'm asking because I read you were adding it in the next version and I can't see it in the changelogs still.
Thanks!
Yes I have! -just forgot to put it in the Changelog See example.conf.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 23 February 2012 at 12:55.
Old 23 February 2012, 14:45   #166
Gaula92

Great! Testing NTSC video now.
Since my display is 59.xxHz, shouldn't vsync=full force internal emulation to those same 59.xxHz so I can get pefect synced scroll?
I get smooth scroll, but once in a while it "loses" a frame. I'm very picky about this, I know . CPU usage is not to blame.
It's as if the internal emulation speed would be set at a near-60Hz, different from my 59.xx Hz, even if I set vsync to full.

The other problem I found is that HDF files like the ones used by the Minimig don't work on current version of fs-uae. OS says NOT A DOS DISK ON DH0, and that's all
(I suspect it's an rbd problem, but I don't know wich, as WinUAE does work with those disk images pretty well: I'd like to use fs-uae instead of WinUAE for Minimig file interchange (wich I have to use via WINE because no M$ software is allowed in my computers )
Old 23 February 2012, 14:54   #167
P-J

Quote:
Yes I have! -just forgot to put it in the Changelog See example.conf.
Holy shit! As quick as I build this frontend, I'm needing to change it to add new features
Old 23 February 2012, 17:21   #168
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Great! Testing NTSC video now.
Since my display is 59.xxHz, shouldn't vsync=full force internal emulation to those same 59.xxHz so I can get pefect synced scroll?
I get smooth scroll, but once in a while it "loses" a frame. I'm very picky about this, I know . CPU usage is not to blame.
It's as if the internal emulation speed would be set at a near-60Hz, different from my 59.xx Hz, even if I set vsync to full.
With full sync, there is no timing other than waiting for vsync, so it should be perfectly smooth. In the real world however, there is still a possibility to get a lost vblank once in a while (because of multi-tasking OSes and no real-time guarantee, etc). When using full sync you should avoid running other CPU-intensitive tasks (such a multiple open websites with flash ads etc), or disk-intensive operations (virus scans, torrents) to minimize chances of FS-UAE being denied CPU-time.

It is also just possible that you haven't configured full sync correctly. You write "vsync=full", but the parameter is --video-sync=full, or in the config file:
Code:
[video]
sync = full
The log file is quite explicit on what mode is being used, so please check there.

Quote:
The other problem I found is that HDF files like the ones used by the Minimig don't work on current version of fs-uae. OS says NOT A DOS DISK ON DH0, and that's all
(I suspect it's an rbd problem, but I don't know wich, as WinUAE does work with those disk images pretty well: I'd like to use fs-uae instead of WinUAE for Minimig file interchange (wich I have to use via WINE because no M$ software is allowed in my computers )
I haven't specifically programmed any support for RDB files, just simple HDF files with a single volume for now. I can probably fix it for the next version. Anyone know of any good freely distributable RDB file with a bootable partition I can test with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Holy shit! As quick as I build this frontend, I'm needing to change it to add new features
Yeah, sorry about that ;-)

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 23 February 2012 at 17:26.
Old 23 February 2012, 18:23   #169
Conundrum

For the record, Frode, I still can't get configurations to work on my winxp.
Old 23 February 2012, 18:33   #170
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
For the record, Frode, I still can't get configurations to work on my winxp.
I suggest you try this:
* Create a configuration file whatever.fs-uae, for example in the new "default directory" (My) Documents/FS-UAE/Configurations/
* Choose to open it from explorer (open with...)
* Browse to fs-uae.exe and set this to always open *.fs-uae-files

(and afterwards you can just doubleclick on .fs-uae config files to start, which is nice)

Then it should find the config file at least. If this does not work, then there is something wrong with your config file. Please post the config file _and_ the log file in a zip or something, and attach to a post, and I'll check for errors (you should check the log first to see if there is anything obviously wrong).

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 23 February 2012 at 18:44.
Old 23 February 2012, 19:48   #171
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
FS-UAE now auto-recognizes HDF files in RDB format, so no additional config is needed for RDB files, you'll just have to wait until 0.9.9beta2 or 0.9.9.
Old 23 February 2012, 20:17   #172
PHabermehl

Frode - give it to us :-) 0.9.9b2 :-)
Old 23 February 2012, 20:24   #173
Aequitas

Just wanted to give a big thanks for the scanlines addition! I did notice the application dock on osx "shining" through garbling the lower part of the screen ( some sort of mirror effect accros the size of the dock), but after turning off and on scanlines it seems to have sorted itself out and haven't been able to reproduce it

Old 23 February 2012, 20:24   #174
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Frode - give it to us :-) 0.9.9b2 :-)
Soon! -I'm tired of creating binaries for all platforms, so I'm setting up a distributed build system so I can build and publish all files with a single command. -And then i build 0.9.9beta2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
Just wanted to give a big thanks for the scanlines addition! I did notice the application dock on osx "shining" through garbling the lower part of the screen ( some sort of mirror effect accros the size of the dock), but after turning off and on scanlines it seems to have sorted itself out and haven't been able to reproduce it
You're welcome! -The graphics bug sounds like a Mac OS X hiccup, and nothing to do with scanlines...
Old 23 February 2012, 22:37   #175
PHabermehl

Quote:
Soon! -I'm tired of creating binaries for all platforms
Hey, I've always compiled myself. Actually you provide an excellent tarball, never had any problems compiling.

Kind regards,
Peter
Old 23 February 2012, 22:44   #176
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Hey, I've always compiled myself. Actually you provide an excellent tarball, never had any problems compiling.

Kind regards,
Peter
Yes, I suppose I could've uploaded the source hours ago -But anyway, the build system is ready, so all files are soon published anyway.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 23 February 2012 at 23:35.
Old 23 February 2012, 22:48   #177
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
But anyway, the build system is ready, so all files are soon published anyway.
Hey Frode, you rock!!
Old 23 February 2012, 22:50   #178
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Yes, I suppose I could've uploaded the source hours ago -But anyway, the build system is ready, so all files are soon published anyway.
Any ETA for the netplay beta?
Old 23 February 2012, 22:54   #179
kire_online

Frode, if you're ever in Sydney drop me a line, I owe you a few beers.
Old 23 February 2012, 22:58   #180
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Any ETA for the netplay beta?
Well, it works just fine (well, as far as my own testing has shown). So what's remaining is mostly writing documentation for it (because the initial version is "simple" in features - requires command line parameters, and identical(*) configuration files for each player)

(*) well, Amiga model, accuracy, kick starts and disk files, etc must be identical, not the config itself.

There's a couple of extra things I would like to have done:
* add some version exchange information to the protocol/server, so when people actually start testing, the server ensures that everyone runs compatible versions (I don't want bogus bug reports ;-))
* Ideally, but not completely necessary: Have FS-UAE run checksums on kickstart, disk files (and possible also essential config values) and send to server to ensure that everyone runs compatible setups. Again mostly because I do not want bug reports which are caused by such incompatibilities.

Perhaps I get time to do it this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kire_online View Post
Frode, if you're ever in Sydney drop me a line, I owe you a few beers.
Never been to Australia yet, but I will hold you to that if I get there

Version 0.9.9beta2

combined changes since 0.9.8:
* Support hard disk files in RDB format (same config option as regular HDF files - RDB format is automatically recognized).
* Auto-grab input on mouse click.
* Click middle-mouse button to release input grab.
* Grabbing input on startup is optional (see example.conf).
* Keys are now "positionally" mapped (as far as possible) from host keyboard to amiga keys (some exceptions because of physically different layout: home = lparen, page up = rparen, delete = del, end = help, insert is mapped to the amiga key to the left of backspace, and page down to right amiga key in case the host keyboard has no right windows/apple/menu key).
* Make caps lock a proper toggle button.
* Scanline effect support (see example.conf).
* Added an application icon.
* Associate .fs-uae files with FS-UAE on Mac OS X.
* Support bsdsockets on Mac OS X / Linux (not Windows yet).
* Can override controller configurations by placing configs files in new FS-UAE/Controllers directory (+ option to configure this directory).
* New configuration option: audio/floppy_drive_volume
* New configuration option: paths/base_dir
* Ported updated caps code from WinUAE.
* New frame limiting logic in libfsemu.
* Use rawinput in Windows for keyboard support.
* Use some keyboard scancodes on other platforms to improve key mapping.
* NTSC mode added (see example.conf) -was really added in 0.9.8, but omitted from changelog.

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...a2-windows.zip
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...-macosx.tar.gz
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...ta2-0_i386.deb
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...a2-0_amd64.deb
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-....9beta2.tar.gz

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 24 February 2012 at 00:20.