English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 September 2019, 18:46   #141
btp

This game looks amazing!
Great to see all those high quality games (Rygar, Reshoot R, Inviyya and others) being developed in 2019 for our beloved Amigas!
Old 06 September 2019, 21:09   #142
utri007
mä vaan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Well, nothing's stopping you from making your own game targetting AGA-machines
I have bought this https://pixelglass.org/#worthy because I wanted to support amiga devs. I have also bought games from here https://amiga.net.pl/index.php?kwt=4191&lng=eng

I have zero interest for these games. I just hoped that they would start more ambitous game projects like this http://aquabyss.com/ or something wich offers more interesteing (or new) elements. I would pay for a Paradroid clone etc. OR Wolfenstein 3D clone for A500, though I have several 68060 amigas.

No support for 100x seen before games from me.

Last edited by utri007; 07 September 2019 at 01:20.
Old 06 September 2019, 21:29   #143
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Are you also using subpalettes of less colors in a similar way to Powder to save RAM and bandwidth?
Nope, no subpalettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
has this modular approach been used before or is this a first?
Afaik, the modular approach has been used on various Amiga games, especially on bosses. But I'm not sure if any game uses the same method as us or to the extend that we use it.
Old 06 September 2019, 22:59   #144
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Final Fight did it

https://codetapper.com/amiga/rips/final-fight/

Probably most good fighting games like Fightin Spirit etc used it.
Old 07 September 2019, 01:02   #145
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Yup, Final Fight also uses modularity to some extend (and probably other Amiga beat'em'ups). F.e. if you check Axl's sheet below, you can see (from the available parts) that to do his walk cycle you can use the same upper head, torso and arms parts and only have different frames for the waist, thigh and legs to animate him.

However the method used here is still not fully modular. In effect what you see above are the normal frames from the arcade, recolored and resized for use on Amiga and then split into 16x16 tiles. The majority of these parts, despite being seperate on the sheet, only fit with very specific other parts. F.e. you cannot take a head and pair it with a different torso and you cannot take a torso and pair it with a defferend set of arms. Hense, the available combinations you can do with these parts in general are extremely limited. Which is also why this particular enemy only has like 10 frames in total for all his anims in game (not counting flipped ones).

What we do in Metro Siege is similar (in principle) with this technique but at the same time quite different as well.
Old 07 September 2019, 01:38   #146
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Yup, Final Fight also uses modularity to some extend (and probably other Amiga beat'em'ups). F.e. if you check Axl's sheet below, you can see (from the available parts) that to do his walk cycle you can use the same upper head, torso and arms parts and only have different frames for the waist, thigh and legs to animate him.

However the method used here is still not fully modular. In effect what you see above are the normal frames from the arcade, recolored and resized for use on Amiga and then split into 16x16 tiles. The majority of these parts, despite being seperate on the sheet, only fit with very specific other parts. F.e. you cannot take a head and pair it with a different torso and you cannot take a torso and pair it with a defferend set of arms. Hense, the available combinations you can do with these parts in general are extremely limited. Which is also why this particular enemy only has like 10 frames in total for all his anims in game (not counting flipped ones).

What we do in Metro Siege is similar (in principle) with this technique but at the same time quite different as well.
All very interesting.

am i guessing right when i say you have the arms, legs, head, torso etc all completely separate then move them around individually like old school layered paper animation (modern digital equivalent would be south park) to create the illusion of individual drawings and then when that cant be used redraw the frame when needed?

For example: Modular would be him standing still but rather than being static you can make him breath by moving the arms up and down giving the illusion of different frames of animation

And when a new frame has to be drawn completely: An upper cut etc.
Old 07 September 2019, 01:41   #147
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight aren't very good examples I suspect Fightin Spirit and some other reasonable fighters do it better but I cant find sprite rips of those

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97847

I'd love to see your sprite sheets but understand you might not wish to share.

Last edited by Retro1234; 07 September 2019 at 01:46.
Old 07 September 2019, 01:53   #148
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Look up Spriter on YouTube to see what the original editor can do with rotation and everything.
Old 07 September 2019, 10:24   #149
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Regrettably I'm not into SHMUPs (which is what the Amiga homebrew scene seem to be focused on), so I'm glad someone thought of making a beat 'em up. If it's going to play half as good as it looks, it's going to be fantastic.
Old 07 September 2019, 15:52   #150
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
All very interesting.

am i guessing right when i say you have the arms, legs, head, torso etc all completely separate then move them around individually like old school layered paper animation (modern digital equivalent would be south park) to create the illusion of individual drawings and then when that cant be used redraw the frame when needed?

For example: Modular would be him standing still but rather than being static you can make him breath by moving the arms up and down giving the illusion of different frames of animation

And when a new frame has to be drawn completely: An upper cut etc.
That's right, we actually have each body part as a seperate gfx. And we don't have the frames just split into 16x16 tiles, actually each part has a variable size which helps to bring down the ram usage even further. Another difference is that within each anim the parts usually overlap each other.
The downside of this method in regards to art is that it's quite difficult to make the parts blend seamlessly with one another in each and every anim (as someone also noticed in this thread), however it's not impossible. You can get near perfect results but it requires a LOT of work (which we haven't 100% finished yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
I'd love to see your sprite sheets but understand you might not wish to share.
Well, we don't have "sprite sheets", just individual parts. But I'll present an example here later on to see exactly how we do it, how it looks and what the process requires
Old 08 September 2019, 00:27   #151
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Looks lovely- hope it reaches the finish line- my a500 needs to be fixed for games like this. as its old and crusty now.
Old 14 September 2019, 13:53   #152
skyzoo73

I'm excited about how well this game is progressing. And I hope that all Amiga fans can support BitBeamCannon. Personally I am contributing in my small contribution on Patreon. I look forward to getting a physical edition.
Old 14 September 2019, 14:42   #153
donnie

will it have a floppy release?
Old 14 September 2019, 19:19   #154
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@Donnie: yup
Old 14 September 2019, 22:27   #155
donnie

Awesome. Fucking awesome.

You should hook up with rgcd. I loved worthy. but the but the big box packaging was not as good as the game.
Old 15 September 2019, 00:02   #156
DamienD
Banned

I didn't purchase the boxed edition of "Worthy" but the box plus all the extras looked pretty amazing from the pictures posted.

Why do you say "the but the big box packaging was not as good as the game" donnie?
Old 15 September 2019, 09:11   #157
donnie

Its the big box itself that felt abit flimsy. Basically an unprinted normal cardbord box with a printed slipcase.

Not a big deal. But it could be better.

Old 15 September 2019, 11:13   #158
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Its the big box itself that felt abit flimsy. Basically an unprinted normal cardbord box with a printed slipcase.

Not a big deal. But it could be better.

Much better than a DVD box atleast.
Old 21 September 2019, 11:08   #159
spiff
Oh noes!

There will be a big box release!?
Please do some sort of pre-sale to estimate demand instead of 50 limited edition direct to ebay scalping.

*edit* Big box still available for worthy, weekend online shopping

Last edited by spiff; 21 September 2019 at 11:15.
Old 23 April 2020, 04:15   #160
Marchie

Any news on this one? Still looks amazing.