English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 November 2017, 02:31   #161
grelbfarlk

Could you mind posting that? Or send an email, I know you're running out of space here
Old 22 November 2017, 12:27   #162
Cowcat

PM me here !
Old 15 September 2018, 20:00   #163
kgc210

Just wanted to thank you for your hard work Cowcat.
It is really impressive to play Quake 2 on my Amiga, previously the best I could do on Quake 1 with my 060@80 was 15.7FPS

I have done a few time demo's on my K1 PPC @ 333Mhz using the Sonnet driver and VooDoo3 at 15MB, also using Paula through AHI.

Demo 1 - default settings @ 640x480
28.4FPS
28.5FPS
29.0FPS
28.7FPS

Demo 2 - default settings @ 640x480
19.1FPS
19.6FPS
19.5FPS
19.5FPS

Would using an SB128 help with speed as not having to go back through Zorro3 for Audio? Or doesn't it make much difference?
Old 21 September 2018, 13:59   #164
Cowcat

@kgc210 Missed your post !!

On what machine are you playing it?

Quote:
Would using an SB128 help with speed?
Probably good in terms of speed, but don't know in terms of audio quality. Sonnet gurus know more about that.
Old 22 September 2018, 00:57   #165
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post
Just wanted to thank you for your hard work Cowcat.
It is really impressive to play Quake 2 on my Amiga, previously the best I could do on Quake 1 with my 060@80 was 15.7FPS

I have done a few time demo's on my K1 PPC @ 333Mhz using the Sonnet driver and VooDoo3 at 15MB, also using Paula through AHI.

Demo 1 - default settings @ 640x480
28.4FPS
28.5FPS
29.0FPS
28.7FPS

Demo 2 - default settings @ 640x480
19.1FPS
19.6FPS
19.5FPS
19.5FPS

Would using an SB128 help with speed as not having to go back through Zorro3 for Audio? Or doesn't it make much difference?

Your numbers seem suspiciously low. Make sure VoodooInt=Yes in Envarc:mediator/

Also make sure Sync Every Frame is off in the Q2 Video Menu.

SB128 will not be faster, if it is working properly it will actually be a little bit slower, usually like 1-2 FPS. Keep in mind AHI is all 68k, the fast PCI->PCI speeds are usually an effect of when the PPC is writing to something like Video RAM in a PCI slot. There are cases where a 16-bit audio card can be faster, but usually you're doing that for quality not speed.

Anyway if you want to play with the PCI sound card in Quake 2 there are a couple things you want to change, and I usually forget a couple of these variables.
Ahibits=16 (or 8 if you want to use that for some reason, use whatever you have set in AHI)
sndspeed=22 (set to whatever you have set in AHI)
or it might be s_khz=22
Then there's one more ahispeed perhaps?
Old 14 March 2019, 20:58   #166
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
Check out if this minimal version works (only WOS - whatever cpu). Report failures/success...
Didn't work for me. But we discussed that :-) Old vbcc still works.

For the others:

I am getting a Wrong amount of arguments error CD failed error 20. (or something very similar).

Then an initialization error.

This is Radeon with software 3D (not GL).
Old 05 August 2019, 14:18   #167
Cowcat

Full update:

Fixed an issue with one of the latest levels (Big Gun) that didn't allow saving, so there was no possibility to continue playing.

Didn't catch any problems with saving/loading so far besides the fix.

There are some optimizations in software render dll and general update through the sources.

Don't know if gcc wos version still doesn't work with some systems.

https://github.com/Cowcat5150/Quake2/releases

Old sources/releases would be removed from here soon.
Old 08 August 2019, 16:47   #168
James

Thanks Cowcat!

Tested for a while, not noticed any problems yet...
Old 08 August 2019, 17:28   #169
Cowcat

@James

Looks like for winuae runs quite well and much better than blitz for whatever reason. On my system (debian with winuae through wine), software render is in fact faster.

ref_gl.dll is not compiled because even for 68k that worked more or less, is a stuttering party with lost of hard drive calls. Neverthess is by design slower.

Another cool factor is that even newer compiles, I have access to old saved games from a couple of years.

I played the whole normal game till the end. Now I'm on Rogue mod to find bugs.
Old 15 March 2020, 16:41   #170
spudje

Just a heads-up here.

I tried Hyperion Quake 2 (with update) on a A4000k CSPPC Voodoo3 with 3.1.4 ROMs, AOS 3.1.4.1 and FFS.

It simply loads soooooooo slooooow that it fails. It gives some time out error on loading plague.

I then tried the exact same setup on a CF with PFS3 AIO and all ran fine. Well the loading part, I haven't tried stability yet, but that's a different (power?) issue of my setup.
Old 15 March 2020, 16:59   #171
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

I thought it was common knowledge that FFS is very slow. ;-)
Old 15 March 2020, 17:04   #172
spudje

Yes, slow as in slow, you have to wait a long time, but not slow as in you have to wait a long time and then it doesn't work
Old 15 March 2020, 21:18   #173
Cowcat

Many moons ago something similar happend to someone who didn't use FFS but some version of "another fancy file system". It's in this thread IIRW.

I dunno why in some systems all is fine and others impossible till they change to an alternative: Even DevilutionX has issues too.

Edit: Was FFS........That could explain a lot of problems.

Last edited by Cowcat; 15 March 2020 at 21:36.
Old 09 October 2020, 12:57   #174
amipal

Hi all. Gave the v4.2 a try yesterday, but a couple of hiccups from both PPC versions:
gcc version freezes the entire machine.
vbcc version runs, but I don't seem to get any Paula audio.

Any idea what I need to tweak in order to get either version running?
(A1200T, BlizzardPPC, 256MB, MediatorPCI, Voodoo3)
Old 09 October 2020, 22:55   #175
Cowcat

@amipal

gcc version is weird: works for me (on morphos) and maybe for grelbfarlk. For others only software render version works. Maybe a new recompile with the new sdk, changes done to minigl, etc. could fix it somewhat. It beats in performance the latest Hyperion version, apart from the features and bugfixes I did.

For paula you need to enable it in the menu, provided that you have the corresponding sound dll of course.

A lot of upgrades are done to various Q2 ports, specially Yamagi where I sometimes take a look. Probably a new version in near future if I'm still alive.
Old 14 October 2020, 20:30   #176
amipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
@amipal

gcc version is weird: works for me (on morphos) and maybe for grelbfarlk. For others only software render version works. Maybe a new recompile with the new sdk, changes done to minigl, etc. could fix it somewhat. It beats in performance the latest Hyperion version, apart from the features and bugfixes I did.

For paula you need to enable it in the menu, provided that you have the corresponding sound dll of course.

A lot of upgrades are done to various Q2 ports, specially Yamagi where I sometimes take a look. Probably a new version in near future if I'm still alive.
Thanks Cowcat! I'm pretty sure I had Paula flagged in to GUI, but will give it another go!
Old 15 October 2020, 09:37   #177
Cowcat

@amipal

Other ways to test are renaming/removing some dll's to force game to work only with what it founds. Maybe only soft.dll and paula.dll or gl.dll with ahi.dll.
Another test could be removing the video/ directory. I'm testing it with WinUAE PPC and doesn't work with gcc, although WinUAE is another kind of animal (and no Wazp3D ppc there of course).
Old 20 January 2021, 16:10   #178
White

After some experimenting i managed to get Quake2 GL working i would say it works fine with amigaos4.1FE + Voodoo3 with winuae emulator.
The only problem is that every time I have to delete the config.cfg file and redo the configuration from scratch.
Seems not to keep settings.
How could I solve?
Thanks.
here the video with the described problem:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 January 2021, 13:31   #179
Cowcat

@White

I'm assuming that is the warpos version and also the Github release.

What compiled version? The gcc one tends to fail somewhat for unknown reason while the vbcc is stable.
I see those gurus in the video that could be related to filesystem load/save problems. Don't remember when in the code that is done but seeing the end of the video it could be just that: You close the game, it fails to save, shows the guru and all is locked.

Also at the beginning there's a suspicious guru: Fails to read the config file ???

If the vbcc version works then maybe the filesystem procedures are screwed in gcc: In my system kinda works for GL but not when switching back and forth with soft render. And no guru for me: It just hangs there.
Old 22 January 2021, 13:47   #180
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Isn't this from waaay back and maybe a recompile with gcc would help?