English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 14 January 2004, 22:36   #1
MethodGit

Big grin Ability to turn one sound channel on and off

Funny request, I know. I'm not quite if it's the right wording, but let me explain.

One of the unique things about my Amiga (back when I still had it and all) was that, at some point during my "possession time" of it, the sound capabilities seemed to bugger up a bit in that I could only hear one part of sound/music at a time, the other part not transmitting to my ears. I wasn't even using headphones or anything, this was coming out of the Amiga (plus my monitor) and all. I believe it could've been something to do with the fact that one of the 'sound plug' thingies at the back (one was red, the other white) didn't work anymore, or it could've been something inside the actual Amiga, I don't know. So yeah, by switching the two plugs round (they were attached to two small ports adjacent to each other) I could hear the other piece of sound/music that previously was unavailable for transmission!

Although WinUAE has a "stereo sound" feature, I've tested it out extensively (through my headphones) and I've noticed it doesn't sound quite like the "one channel only" feature my Amiga had - a lot of the effects get played on both sides, with very few ones being confined to the left or right ear only.

So, if it's possible to implement a fun novelty feature like floppy drive sound, I thought why not give us a chance to experiment with the channels and allow us to hear our fave games, demos, music and other appliances in a different manner each time?

Comments on this is appreciated as usual.
Old 14 January 2004, 22:42   #2
hal
where am i ?

you could just use the windows mixer

also try listening to miggy music with headphones :P
Old 14 January 2004, 23:19   #3
P-J

Gordon bennett.... *sigh*

It's called the balance control, and yes, it DOES work in stereo.
Old 15 January 2004, 01:17   #4
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Re: Ability to turn one sound channel on and off

Quote:
Originally posted by MethodGit
I believe it could've been something to do with the fact that one of the 'sound plug' thingies at the back (one was red, the other white) didn't work anymore, or it could've been something inside the actual Amiga, I don't know.
You know that WinUAE is getting pretty darned close to perfect when it's users are reduced to having to suggest that Toni implement simulated hardware malfunctions, eh?

Where does it all end, I wonder? Will this be next?

"Hey Toni, I was wondering if you might consider coding another feature into WinUAE that I'd like to see. Years ago I fried the motherboard in my A500 and after that it just sat there like a brick for months until my mom threw it out. I was wondering if you could possibly add a 'fried motherboard' option in WinUAE that would simulate this so that I could relive those days of sitting there dejectedly staring at my non-functional A500 and wishing that it still worked. I tried just sitting and staring at a real brick, but it just didn't feel quite the same. Thanks, Toni!"

Old 15 January 2004, 01:43   #5
Amiga1992

Marz, get a life.

Grab your right speaker, munch the cable and you will soon be getting the same effect.
Old 15 January 2004, 02:45   #6
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Marz, get a life.

Grab your right speaker, munch the cable and you will soon be getting the same effect.

Neat idea, except for two little things:

1) It'd be a rather permanent effect - how would I be able to switch the balance round again?

2) I'd risk receiving a large dose of electrocution in the mouth if I chewed it incorrectly.

Old 15 January 2004, 05:05   #7
Amiga1992

Here's the deal. But first you will have to tell me how does your PC output its sound. Normal PC multimedia speakers? Or is it connected to your stereo or something? Case two would be easier, since you only have to buy two cables, one for good audio, and one for munched audio. Case 1 would obviously be definitive, and probably not wanted!

The munching situation is easy: just unplug the speakers prior to munching!

That's it. Easy peasy. Instant glitching.

I want another feature while we are at it. My amiga RGB cable got flaky and sometimes it would short one of the colours and the screen would look all yellow. Can you implement that Toni?

sarcasm=off
Old 15 January 2004, 07:59   #8
gary

Re: Ability to turn one sound channel on and off

Quote:
Originally posted by MethodGit
Although WinUAE has a "stereo sound" feature, I've tested it out extensively (through my headphones) and I've noticed it doesn't sound quite like the "one channel only" feature my Amiga had - a lot of the effects get played on both sides, with very few ones being confined to the left or right ear only.
[/B]
Perhaps WinUAE *is* outputing the amigas sound channels in stereo (2 left, 2 right) but your Windows/Soundcard config is setup with some sort of 'surround' feature turned on. This may reduce the stereo separation.

If you had control of each of the Amigas 4 sound channels you could (in some programs) disable the music and keep sound FX on where the program didn't support it, other than that I think it would be a fairly low priority feature
Old 15 January 2004, 08:23   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
If you had control of each of the Amigas 4 sound channels
-dsaudiomix -command line parameter enables experimental (and quite useless) 4-channel mode...
Old 28 January 2004, 13:49   #10
Interceptor

hey i got one,

there should be a 'connect printer' button, which should only be used when first starting winuae, however it should be possible to misuse it while in the middle of the emulation.

this should corrupt the serial chip code within winUAE, which means the emulated amiga should fail to boot, therefore needing an emulated repair, which can be done via an unlock code, which you would probably have to pay for.
Old 28 January 2004, 16:09   #11
P-J

Quote:
Originally posted by Interceptor
hey i got one,

there should be a 'connect printer' button, which should only be used when first starting winuae, however it should be possible to misuse it while in the middle of the emulation.

this should corrupt the serial chip code within winUAE, which means the emulated amiga should fail to boot, therefore needing an emulated repair, which can be done via an unlock code, which you would probably have to pay for.
Gold, pure gold :P
Old 28 January 2004, 22:40   #12
Amiga1992

How about emulating CIA blowup if you have a "fiddle with joystick connector" or "unplug mouse while on" button?