English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 24 January 2018, 22:56   #1
mikem

Amiga 4000D in Power Tower

Selling my pride & joy, an Amiga 4000D in a Power Tower case -- also listed over at AmiBay: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...wer-Tower-Case

See the AmiBay listing for full details, but the mother board & CPU were fully refurbished by tbtorro a while back. I just have no time for Amiga (really no time for anything, but that's another story...) and it's just sitting collecting dust.

Currently asking $1,800US plus PayPal & shipping or best offer.
Old 25 January 2018, 08:56   #2
jack-3d
kLiker

Hi, I know on Amibay its not allowed to discuss prices but here I think it is allowed. Honestly your price is too much, let me elaborate usual prices of these days:

1800 USD = 1500 EUR

A3640 = 150 - 200 EUR
A4000 motherboard = 350 - 500 EUR
Elbox tower = 200 - 400 EUR
A4000 keyboard = 50 - 100 EUR

In total = 750 - 1200 EUR (I would guess price around 1000 EUR is something when people will start replying).
Old 25 January 2018, 23:56   #3
mikem

Yeah I know it's a little high, but it cost me a butt load to get the system to this point. Plus they are quite a bit more rare in North America vs Europe. My price is a reflection of the value I place on it.

However, that said, it's open to offers... so I hope someone makes an offer of what they consider a fair price
Old 26 January 2018, 00:20   #4
jack-3d
kLiker

Sure I fully understand your point. Manytimes we buy Amiga hardware but the repair and refurbish work costs another half of the price. But I just assigned the nowadays prices to the setup to say what can be realistic price from my point of view. Of course from the other side such tower in USA is quite rare thing.

Good luck with your sale ;o)
Old 26 January 2018, 00:29   #5
mikem

Alright.. I just dropped it to $1,500 US plus Paypal & shipping. Someone please give my baby a good home!
Old 05 February 2018, 06:28   #6
mikem

I'm am honestly shocked that nobody is interested at $1,500 -- this is a turn-key A4000. I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale like this stateside. Not even a single offer!!
Old 05 February 2018, 22:44   #7
screemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
I'm am honestly shocked that nobody is interested at $1,500 -- this is a turn-key A4000. I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale like this stateside. Not even a single offer!!
Hi Mikem,

I understand your frustration.

Problem (from my side) is that getting it to Denmark including import tax + shipping it would exceed my budget (probably add 30% on the price).

Even if I pick it up in the states (going there during summer), I would probably have to pay extra to drag it back home...

Looks like a great setup though.
Old 05 February 2018, 23:41   #8
grelbfarlk

What Jack-3D says about pricing in my experience is pretty accurate. Some people don't like aftermarket towers, for whatever reason.
Old 06 February 2018, 01:48   #9
dannyp1

When was the last time on EBay that you saw a functioning A4000 tower sell for $650 or $750? You haven't. And this one has been recapped and never had any battery damage. His original starting price was a little high but it is a good buy where it is priced right now.
Old 06 February 2018, 02:11   #10
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp1 View Post
When was the last time on EBay that you saw a functioning A4000 tower sell for $650 or $750? You haven't. And this one has been recapped and never had any battery damage. His original starting price was a little high but it is a good buy where it is priced right now.
I haven't?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Techn...1/112659253479

Jack-3D posted a range in Euros, it's a unit of currency across the ocean, not Lake Michigan, but across the Atlantic which one Euro is worth slightly more than one US Dollar.

I don't know much about these Amigas though or what they cost, I'm mainly an Acorn Archimedes guy.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 06 February 2018 at 02:22.
Old 06 February 2018, 19:03   #11
mikem

That tower on eBay was a great price, but it wasn't recapped and who knows what hidden problems are lurking inside. Add the cost of refurbishment by someone reputable & you're pretty close to my asking price.

jack-3d's estimate of 750-1200EUR converts to $930 - $1,486 US$, so I think my asking price is fair.

Maybe it's just the wrong time of the year for a sale like this... I know I'm still recovering from Xmas
Old 07 February 2018, 04:53   #12
nexus

tbh i seen this for sale on ebay and past over quick from seeing the price tag this is my opinion 1 most who have that cash to blow would want more bang and a actual amiga case also people have to remember just because you sunk X amount into a hobby doesnt mean you get that back this is true for anything lots of people who do same for cars/bikes think the same and never sell or sell for a big loss

if it was me for that price i would expect to have a better accel card like 68060 and or ppc but thats just me and im not tryin to talk you down as even greg will tell you last 3 months i have spent like $20k+ on amiga hardware so im kinda stuffed atm

but when you fish for a high price its never a quick sell and you have to be patient as you have to wait for a time when no one is selling etc etc the market swings this is why pawn shops pay you so little for your stuff as they see it sitting on the shelf for long periods and if it sits to long they usually take to auction etc and lose even more

also not long ago a A4000T with CSPPC went for around this price
there has been a lot of supply lately on forums and ebay so people are just waiting on better deals
and now looking at your other thread you been dropping the price every few days you know what that tells me? wait for you to drop it more this is if i was looking to buy and since you have it on ebay best thing now would be to set a lower starting bid to get bidders and hope a war happens you can set what you want as the reserve

2 option piece it out that be your best bet to get close to your asking price and opens it up to more interested buyers as some might not want or need everything installed when you build something you narrow your market to those who like your design choices

Last edited by nexus; 07 February 2018 at 08:32.
Old 08 February 2018, 01:49   #13
mikem

It was high to start out with - as the AmiBay theory goes, I priced it at the amount I personally valued it at. Clearly I value it more than anyone else since nobody has responded.

You're right, I probably shouldn't have dropped the price in the manner I did. I was just hoping someone would at least make an offer. It won't be dropping anymore as the current price is more than fair (IMHO).

If I make any more changes, it would probably be to part it out... but I really don't want to do that at this point.
Old 08 February 2018, 10:46   #14
comraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
It was high to start out with - as the AmiBay theory goes, I priced it at the amount I personally valued it at. Clearly I value it more than anyone else since nobody has responded.

You're right, I probably shouldn't have dropped the price in the manner I did. I was just hoping someone would at least make an offer. It won't be dropping anymore as the current price is more than fair (IMHO).

If I make any more changes, it would probably be to part it out... but I really don't want to do that at this point.
It's tough man, I think you'll find that no one will quite value your gems the way you do. It's easy to part with lesser loved parts of your collection or some parts, but giving up machines thar you put your heart and soul into is so hard that I'd argue its not worth it unless someone really, really wants it badly.
Old 09 February 2018, 12:53   #15
Timtheloon

Amiga 4000D in Power Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post

if it was me for that price i would expect to have a better accel card like 68060 and or ppc

I’m sorry @nexus but getting a 68060 with ppc card and the whole system for $1500 is extremely unlikely the CSPPC range from £1000 - £1800 on eBay so I think your quote is wishful thinking

Even if you went down the route of a 68060 card and the sonnet PCI PPC your still close to £1000 Mark and this is pushing it.

I’ve not seen any 4000T on eBay (settings on worldwide) go for them prices are you looking at a different eBay than me he he only one I’ve seen that are low are usually fraudulent and get taken down

I think your price is good @mikem but it just finding a buyer for the whole system you may find that splitting the system will get you the money you want for it but your probably like myself would like the system to stay complete
Old 09 February 2018, 14:33   #16
dannyp1

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I don't know where they are seeing these 4000 towers that are loaded for $1500? You're going to pay that much just for a CSPPC. And you're going to pay close to $1000 for just a decent 68060.

If you could find an empty 4000 tower to buy and you also bought a working 4000D with no battery damage and had the board and 3640 recapped you would have the $1500 spent easily.
Old 09 February 2018, 18:29   #17
pgovotsos

I agree that this is a pretty fair price. I've certainly paid more than this for a system like this. Having everything recapped and the fixes applied bring up the value some. Having the work done by someone as good as tbtorro gives confidence that the work was done properly and done well.

Are people still in after Christmas withdrawal and simply don't have free funds?

Could it be that most of the people in the US who want one have one? Maybe most of the people who would be interested in it are overseas and aren't willing to pay what shipping and insurance costs?

I know that when I've had heavy systems like this shipped from Europe the least I've paid for shipping was around €150.

When you do sell it, unless the accelerator is secured with the screws you might want to remove it from the motherboard and safely pack it in an ESD bag and padding then tape it in the drive bay. I've had a couple that, unknown to me beforehand, didn't have the accelerator screwed down have it come loose during shopping and bang around inside the case. In one of them it worked itself past the daughter board and knocked the SIMMs out, damaging 2 of the brackets in the process. I had another one damage traces.

Oh, and if it has a coin battery tape that down too. I had one of those pop out as well.

Moral of the story is to not trust that friction alone will hold anything in place with shippers who seem to want to shake the heck out of the package at each stop and not secure it in the shipping container
Old 10 February 2018, 00:19   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
When you do sell it, unless the accelerator is secured with the screws you might want to remove it from the motherboard and safely pack it in an ESD bag and padding then tape it in the drive bay. I've had a couple that, unknown to me beforehand, didn't have the accelerator screwed down have it come loose during shopping and bang around inside the case. In one of them it worked itself past the daughter board and knocked the SIMMs out, damaging 2 of the brackets in the process. I had another one damage traces.

Oh, and if it has a coin battery tape that down too. I had one of those pop out as well.

Moral of the story is to not trust that friction alone will hold anything in place with shippers who seem to want to shake the heck out of the package at each stop and not secure it in the shipping container
Thanks for posting that advice, pgovotsos.

Experience like that is hard-won. Damage in transit to mikem's system which can be so easily avoided would alienate buyer and seller and sour the experience for both.
Old 11 February 2018, 19:52   #19
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp1 View Post
If you could find an empty 4000 tower to buy and you also bought a working 4000D with no battery damage and had the board and 3640 recapped you would have the $1500 spent easily.
www.amibay.com/showthread.php?97625

If you bought this one (realistically priced to sell - although that was a good deal he could of asked 550-600 and got it no problem) it would leave you almost $1000 for an empty case (of which you would recoup some of that selling the desktop case)....I totally agree with some others on this thread, it's well overpriced.
Old 11 February 2018, 21:31   #20
grelbfarlk

Thanks a lot Acid, I was trying to ninja that one now there are a dozen new people declaring interest!