English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 September 2014, 16:54   #501
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Using Stedy's adapter, the HD floppy drive is seen by Amiga as a normal DD drive, am I right?
Although that doesn't help with a non expanded CD32 or the Internal Floppy Drive in the A4000, Only for External Floppy Port usage. DF1:
Old 11 September 2014, 11:29   #502
mikele

look at that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-USB-Fl...item2594e8ceb7

now there's Bulgarian bastard taking advantage of people by selling GOTEK for 83 USD! He presumes that putting C= and Amiga logos makes it look more legit

Last edited by mikele; 11 September 2014 at 11:34.
Old 11 September 2014, 13:23   #503
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
now there's Bulgarian bastard taking advantage of people by selling GOTEK for 83 USD! He presumes that putting C= and Amiga logos makes it look more legit
The price is definitely over-inflated, but I have to admit the brushed-aluminium faceplace does look smart!
Old 16 September 2014, 14:53   #504
reanimator
Pass me a bud'

I got two of these in my 500 and two in my 1200 (df0 and df1)
DF1 is housed in an old external FDD case and using the original cabling that came with it but can I continue to daisy chain these up to four drives by plugging another external drive into the back of DF1?
Old 17 September 2014, 00:15   #505
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
look at that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-USB-Fl...item2594e8ceb7

Too much money for what it is! The only bit I like is the metal on the front, something that is not impossible to create given some time.
Old 02 October 2014, 18:41   #506
Knight2011

Hello,

First of all, thank you H.B. for this incredible work!

20 years after selling my first Amiga (A600), I have recently bought an Amiga 500 (mb rev5) and I would like to use this floppy emulator since floppies are starting to be difficult to handle (old and unreliable), moreover my internal floppy has died recently... :-(.

Can anyone help me confirm that the following devices are ok to use the emulator?
=> Flash device: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/PL2303HX-Cabl...-/400545942205 (driver provided by seller is Prolific 1.7.0 directly from Prolific site)
=> http://www.ebay.fr/itm/SFR1M44-U100-...-/281285768585

Regarding the Gotek drive, I've read in the comments that Gotek may block one day the ability to reflash an emulator. Has anyone faced this so far?

Thank you all for your support and help.
Old 02 October 2014, 19:26   #507
Nobby_UK

Mine shows up as a Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge

As for the drive itself --- Get the cheapest (3 digit)
they are all the same internally

Why (and How?) would Gotek want to block anybody
that wants to buy their product
Old 02 October 2014, 21:32   #508
Knight2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Mine shows up as a Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge

As for the drive itself --- Get the cheapest (3 digit)
they are all the same internally

Why (and How?) would Gotek want to block anybody
that wants to buy their product
OK, for the flash device I'll go for CP2102: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/270921198120

Regarding the blocking of the flash feature, I was just telling that due to comment from Hervé Messinger on its blog: http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpr...1/#comment-703
Old 03 October 2014, 16:50   #509
Jackoland

Surely gotek should see that the amiga still has a massive market. Why dont they buy hm firmware and ship it on their usb drives. Seem like they would shift a decent amounts of drives. But im not business man.

Cheers
Old 03 October 2014, 23:59   #510
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackoland View Post
Surely gotek should see that the amiga still has a massive market. they would shift a decent amounts of drives.
I disagree. The HxC had already penetrated the Amiga market. I bet Gotek never even noticed HM's firmware release on their sales. Maybe an increase of a couple of hundred total vs the thousands they sell to industrial companies every week
Old 07 October 2014, 21:35   #511
Gods
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaosx View Post
Can you point me to a buzzer that'll work? I've checked ebay, but all the buzzers looks the same to me. If you can povide me a link to the ebay item I'll be more than happy, since I'm located in Uruguay and ebay is the best option to buy these kind of items for me. Thanks.
You can also find a good buzzer on "old" 56K modem PCB...
Old 13 October 2014, 06:37   #512
Comodoor

Hey guys did anyone ever figure out why a couple of people's Goteks weren't registering a disk swap for multi-disk games? No matter what I try I can't get a multi-disk game to recognize that I've switched to the disk 2 position.

Old 16 October 2014, 22:12   #513
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Are there any people on EAB selling ready modded white/beige ones with sound mod 2nd LED and USB programmer? I'd rather not pay inflated prices to some person selling with a USB stick and 60000 ADFs or whatever.
Old 18 October 2014, 15:56   #514
Keir

My own Gotek sounder mod, using a basic PC mini mainboard speaker. The extra capacitor on the breadboard is just for decoupling, but works fine without. Obviously based off others' designs, but which I found to be too quiet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1229.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	41916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231.JPG
Views:	693
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	41917  
Old 31 October 2014, 01:04   #515
Johan1973

I guess this project is dead, at least in an open free form due to what some people has done with the free project and work of the creator. No new firmware
Old 31 October 2014, 17:20   #516
Anemos
70X7

I want to say again thanks to H.M developer for this good work.
I understand him for exploitation by some resellers.
but this happens everywhere and always, and to me many times.
thank you H.M
Old 02 November 2014, 18:36   #517
amigappc

I wrote comment about this on H.M. wordpress site. Getting angry because someone used files he published publicly is a bit childish. This is something that can be expected on the web.

On the other hand, we do not even know legal aspect of running unofficial firmware on Gotek drives, and trying to charge for that (If author wants to do it).

I deeply respect author for his knowledge and engagement with this firmware. He already has praise of the Amiga community for his work.

I thing best way to earn money form it is to open donation box on Paypal or something.
Also, he can open bounty, which should cover expenses of his work hours he needs to invest in producing next firmware version.

I am sure many of us would donate in this case. But it is up to author to decide. Sadly, lots of Amiga projects are going down because of "money" and "ego" aspect. Just remember Natami which was nearly finished when author gave up without any reason given.

Best regards to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1973 View Post
I guess this project is dead, at least in an open free form due to what some people has done with the free project and work of the creator. No new firmware
Old 03 November 2014, 02:25   #518
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigappc View Post
I wrote comment about this on H.M. wordpress site. Getting angry because someone used files he published publicly is a bit childish. This is something that can be expected on the web.

On the other hand, we do not even know legal aspect of running unofficial firmware on Gotek drives, and trying to charge for that (If author wants to do it).

I deeply respect author for his knowledge and engagement with this firmware. He already has praise of the Amiga community for his work.

I thing best way to earn money form it is to open donation box on Paypal or something.
Also, he can open bounty, which should cover expenses of his work hours he needs to invest in producing next firmware version.

I am sure many of us would donate in this case. But it is up to author to decide. Sadly, lots of Amiga projects are going down because of "money" and "ego" aspect. Just remember Natami which was nearly finished when author gave up without any reason given.

Best regards to all.
I asked him a while ago about the source code for the firmware and selector.
He said he was going to open source it after he cleaned up the code a bit.
This would be great if he did it means people may be able to write ipf support for it.

Last edited by Vot; 03 November 2014 at 03:58.
Old 03 November 2014, 07:00   #519
Anemos
70X7

A solution for non-exploitation are frequent updates, so each user will be forced to upgrade itself, and people sellers will remain with the old firmware, and going them Gotek on the shelf.
Old 03 November 2014, 09:22   #520
amigappc

That is why I said that he can make "bounty" for firmware update, which will cover his work hours expenses.

However, I am a bit skeptical about it, since there are no news form the author for several months.

Do you think that current firmware status works good to justify buying Gotek? Is it suitable for fitting in A1200 internally without modifying case?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemos View Post
A solution for non-exploitation are frequent updates, so each user will be forced to upgrade itself, and people sellers will remain with the old firmware, and going them Gotek on the shelf.