English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 October 2006, 12:30   #121
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I personally wouldn't say the Xbox 360 is selling like hotcakes. Certainly not in EU and definitely not in Japan.

Sega never left the coin-op industry either, but they did make a lot of mistakes which meant that had to drop out of making console hardware and concentrate on a software-only approach.

I'd love to see DiscreetFX do something with the company (if they get it) but if it's an attempt to create new (i.e. non classic Amiga) HW/SF then I'm afraid I'm not really interested - but that doesn't mean some people won't be, be it in small numbers.
Old 31 October 2006, 13:54   #122
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSick
What would make developers and home users buy into a "new amiga"?

Well what made people buy into XBox when it first came out? It was heralded initially as going to be the biggest waste of time and no-way could it compete with the likes of Nintendo and Sega!
And it lost somewhat around 5 billion $ when all is said and done - baaad example. PS1 would be a better one, but the success still also depended on Nintendo f**cking up, which they excelled at.

Actually I think PS3 could get the closest to a "new Amiga" if its Linux-Distro is easy enough to use and to code for - I primary think of a lean&mean C-Interface and without all that autoconf-horror regular Linux has to deal with. We gonna see...
Old 01 November 2006, 16:08   #123
Cassius

Huh, huh, huh. This joke was funny. *hmpf*
Old 03 November 2006, 11:47   #124
snowman040

Are there any new informations about DFX offer ? They made an offer, Ainc is silent ? Did someone even tried to guess how much money Ainc would ask ?

P.S. I can't find DFX "Amiga acquisition" announcement on their site ?

Last edited by snowman040; 05 November 2006 at 13:05.
Old 08 November 2006, 16:26   #125
Pyromania

@snowman040

Announcement has been updated a little but it is on the site.

http://www.discreetfx.com/News.html
Old 08 November 2006, 17:55   #126
snowman040

Thanks ...
Old 08 November 2006, 18:47   #127
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

The Amiga is not the A5oo, A12oo, A4ooo or any other physical machine you can name.

'Amiga' is all about its concept, a machine that had fantastic hardware for the time, fantastic multi tasking OS for the time, and generally being more than it should have been. Great graphics, great sound, and so far ahead of the Atari ST, PC and Mac's of the time that it was sick.

I love the classic Amigas, still think they are great machines, and they do exactly what I want of them.

I don't want to rubbish Pyromanias efforts, but I see them ultimately as fruitless until I know what direction he intends to take 'Amiga'.

If it ends up having the same processors as PC's, then the Amiga will be seen as nothing more than a competing OS, something IBM couldn't even achieve

If it doesn't have the same processor, is it going to be something that leaves AMD's, Intels and Cyrix's efforts for dead?

Is it going to have a base graphics base and sound base with which to call 'standard' compatible hardware that developers know they can write for one Amiga, knowing it will work on another?

Will the Amiga be like the PC and require graphics cards and such like, turning it into a developers compatibility nightmare, but at the sametime, unleashing the Amiga of the hardware millstone that cursed the Amigas original OCS/ECS/AGA hardware all those years back?

Sony and Nintendo spend billions on developing hardware for their next generation consoles, how will a new Amiga compete against those?

I'm not too concerned with Shillards procrastinations about marketing and such like, yes they are important, but what is more important is actually having a product worth buying before you start worrying about a product worth advertising.

The original Amigas excelled at Desktop Video Production, and has now been superceeded.

The original Amigas with Video Toasters were the de facto choice for Video effects for TV Studios and for film effects pre-production, and has now been superceeded.

The original Amigas had some success in music studios, and has always been superceeded.

What niche can a new Amiga hope to find? Will it unsurp the Mac in Publishing, and the PC for business and home?

I need to know what this new Amiga is actually going to be. If its not going to be as dynamic as it was back in 1985, leave the name alone and let it slowly slip away and be remembered for the machine it always was, not what it didn't turn into.
Old 08 November 2006, 19:01   #128
Dizzy
Pirate

Galahad

You just put the problem in the right perspective. These words are the truth
I can not agree more. Dont waste time making a new machine if there is no need for it
Old 08 November 2006, 21:32   #129
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

personally i like the idea of micro-amiga's

imagine if you will.....

A handheld with screen size about that of psp with retractable keyboard and throu-put rgb to monitor/ tv.

Adding to this would be usb connectivity (hub optional)
The ability for running all the old software's (aga,ecs,ocs etc)
Make use of mmc/sd micro dvd's combined
Bluetooth / wifi action
2/4GB haddisk drive as standard.
Simple 3D chipset (could be a companion chipset)

comes with 8-128mb ram
perhaps 400 / 500mhz coldfire or decent processor (maybe more than one)

hmm i have 5 minutes whom wants to see a concept model? LOL

combine a phone into it? and there you have an ultimate office / business device too ..

for presentations
word processing
for email
for phoning

for fun

not even your PSP can do all this
Old 08 November 2006, 21:39   #130
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
I don't care about new Amigas but if the plan also includes freely available Kickstart ROMs (at least the early ones)...
Hit the nail on the head there Toni... this is ALL I care about. If Pyro does this after buying AmigaInc off Bill McEwan (and his Grandma ) and end the insanity it would be something that every true Amiga enthusiast would be eternally grateful for!
Old 08 November 2006, 23:20   #131
Marcuz

@ Galahad and Dizzy: yes that's completely true, so much that you could completely make the concept in pieces and start something fresh, disregarding what amiga accomplished in the gone years, do something that take people out of the blue and sells millions. of course this is academic. it's like in supeheroes comics that when you read the stuff from the early eighties you said they deconstructed the genre, yet they renewed it again and again and they still do. you cannot respect or adore the past so much that it stops from inventing the future. obviously i'm not patronizing, i'm just telling a banality that i consider also true. and i'm not saying that this will happen ever for amiga. who knows? i just know that there are in this revolving world places for sure for not yet invented and more useable innovation, and in the end amiga was in the businness of taking human-level technology in users homes. you say there would be no place for a more economic, more smart, more interdependant technology than Apple? i don't think that Apple, not bad as it looks, is more than a computer, so overencumbering enough.
just my 2 cents
Old 10 November 2006, 13:35   #132
Brass
Zone Friend

New Amiga Development

I envisage that a diverse and interesting route which could revitalize the Amiga would be a an X86 based board that runs the latest CPU and pulls the Amiga hardware into the X86 chipset.

The idea would be to sell it as a game console with a new Box which maintained compatibility with the old software for playing the Amiga games while having a cut down Amiga OS 4 re compiled for X86.

Either that or an X86 board with Jens chips glued into it to allow compatability with OS 4 re compiled for X86.

In the case of it being a console OS 4 would be a cut down version specificly for operating as a console.

Upgrades such as keyboard and the nessesary OS parts could be purchased to transfigure the machine if the user required additional hardware.

A version could also be made to operate as a media center and offer users an easy way of editing stuff directly off there cameras and doing titleing etc using the toaster which would be OEM on the Media Center edition.

Attack the cable box market by producing a cable box capable of playing Ami 68k games. ( wether pay for use ) or free.

Presentation version for advertising in shops ( an amiga on a card )

These are just some of the ideas I've had, I dont know if they are good bad or ugly but the number of applications I could see for an X86 capable upgraded Amiga are endless and with a modern CPU that wont just up and vanish the Amiga would stand a real chance of kicking Ass against the PC.

Note : I invisage that an X86 Amiga would still follow some decent hardware rules and not use PC nortbridge/ southbridge glue chips but something revolutionary as opposed to evolutionary.

If they can do it - this new crowd that are wanting to buy the IP then I say best of luck to them and have a realy good think about using the software base theyve got.

Peace out.
Old 10 November 2006, 14:00   #133
shillard

May as well speculate about how cool it would be for the US Air Force to deploy BattleStars.

More likely.
Old 10 November 2006, 14:14   #134
Ultron
Something

I envisage that Amiga is dead and has been dead for over a decade.
Old 10 November 2006, 14:52   #135
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillard
May as well speculate about how cool it would be for the US Air Force to deploy BattleStars.

More likely.
You finished yet ?
Old 10 November 2006, 15:33   #136
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

well i just dont care, I want new and old amiga products and I WANT BattleStars too coz there cool!!!

I want AmigaX86 i want Amiga68k i want AmigaG5 I WANT I WANT I WA.... heyyyy imma demanding... wheres the supply?

MORE SO I WANT THEM NOW

hmm I want maybe a cylon raider or too as well... I like them... did you know you can have upto three people in one of them...

you can have one in a viper (admitedly you could go 2 if one sat on your lap... which is good or bad in a hitchiker situation..)

i think a pol is needed...

whats best to pickup and impress chicks?

1. Coloanial Viper
2. Cylon Raider

hmmmm

remember the viper has a speed avantage but the raider has more armaments
Old 10 November 2006, 16:36   #137
girv
Mostly Harmless

It depends on your style: the Viper is a single seater Harley for the cool outsider type, the Raider is more of a "Pimp My Ride"-ed Humvee with room for beatches in the back.
Old 10 November 2006, 17:38   #138
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillard

More likely.

Absolutely on the mark
Let them dream though, fantasy is sometimes good for the human mind/society.
It's when people take these fantasies seriously and label the rational people "naysayers and gloom spreaders" that the lucid need to back away and ignore them.
Old 10 November 2006, 21:46   #139
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

They should make Amiga PocketPC's like the Dell Axim.
Old 10 November 2006, 22:18   #140
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Absolutely on the mark
Let them dream though, fantasy is sometimes good for the human mind/society.
It's when people take these fantasies seriously and label the rational people "naysayers and gloom spreaders" that the lucid need to back away and ignore them.
Rational people dont run the world, Rational people dont invent new ideas, Rational people dont succeed.. Irrational people do things no one else will, and come up with those new ideas and solutions, while the rational people live life in mediocre thoughts and become bitter.

About 80% of the world lives in the " Be realistic " mindframe. And 50% of the world is on antideppresants and arent happy. Push yourself, push new ideas, push hope... Most people say them to themselves " oh whats the point "... " oh it wont work "... " oh the world is fucked anyway, why bother "...etc... I used to be the most "realistic" person you could get, and it wasnt getting me or anyone else around me anywhere.

Maybe ive taken your post out of context... Sorry if i have

Last edited by blade002; 10 November 2006 at 22:51.