English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 January 2019, 22:14   #121
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorfarius View Post
What's so interesting in your life that you think that they want? The entire internet is built to take your info and there's no getting away from it. So you left FB... so what? Now you get to miss out on huge Amiga communities(...)
The upside is that the Amiga communities on FB are utter lamers.
Old 11 January 2019, 23:48   #122
volvo_0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The upside is that the Amiga communities on FB are utter lamers.
I guess Lamers are "wannabe's" who don't know stuff yet?

Gurus are the ones who help them.
Old 23 January 2019, 22:07   #123
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Maybe time to change mine and buy an iPhone...

deepl.com translation (original here)

Quote:
Mark Zuckerberg has banned the iPhone from its executives

Irritated by comments from Apple's boss on privacy, the Facebook boss reportedly asked his management team to use Android smartphones.

In an article describing how Facebook has handled the various scandals surrounding its users' privacy, the "New York Times" revealed a fact that suggests that the social network boss is a little resentful.

Irritated by criticism from Apple boss Tim Cook in a March interview with MSNBC, Mark Zuckerberg ordered his management team to use only Android phones instead of iPhones, the American daily reports. The social network argues that Google's operating system has many more users than Apple's.

"We're not going to traffic in your private life," Tim Cook told MSNBC, referring to the Cambridge Analytica scandal in which Facebook had become bogged down. "For us, privacy is a human right. It is a civil freedom," he added, criticizing the social network's economic model based on the exploitation of its users' personal data. Tim Cook said Apple could make a lot of money if it did the same, but it's not a path the company chose to follow.

In an interview with Recode, Mark Zuckerberg described Tim Cook's opinion as "extremely casual", reports The Verge. "I think it's important that we don't all suffer from Stockholm syndrome and let companies make us pay more by convincing us that they care about us. Because it really sounds ridiculous to me," said the Facebook boss attacking the apple company.

The dedicated site, which reviewed tweets from various Facebook executives, including David Marcus, former Messenger manager currently in charge of blockchain-related projects, noted that a large proportion still use an iPhone to publish on the microblogging platform. This suggests that Mark Zuckerberg's order has not been fully executed or that these executives continue to use an Apple smartphone in their private lives. (man)
Old 23 January 2019, 22:20   #124
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

deepl.com translation (original here)

PS: LinkedIn is now owned by Microsoft.

Quote:
Russia attacks Facebook and Twitter

American social networks are in the eye of the Russian media regulator who has launched administrative proceedings against them.

Russian media regulator Roskomnadzor announced on Monday that it has launched administrative proceedings against US social networks Twitter and Facebook, accusing them of not complying with Russian law.

"Roskomnadzor is today launching administrative proceedings against both groups" Twitter and Facebook, told Russian agencies the head of the Russian media gendarme, Alexander Jarov.

Roskomnadzor says he asked both companies to comply with Russian law, which requires Russian user data to be stored on national territory.

"The companies that manage the social networks Facebook and Twitter have provided formal responses to our requests to confirm the location of personal data of Russian users in Russia," said Mr. Jarov.

These answers "do not contain details on the actual implementation, current or future, of the legislation", he added.

Possible fine

"We hope to bring them to administrative responsibility. In other words, a fine will be imposed," Roskomnadzor spokesman Vadim Ampelonski told Rossiya 24.

The Russian authorities had already ordered in 2016 the blocking of the professional social network LinkedIn, which had refused to comply with the law requiring the storage of Russian user data on Russian territory. LinkedIn has since been inaccessible in Russia.

In April 2018, after unsuccessful attempts to block Telegram encrypted messaging, the Russian telecom regulator had already announced its intention to bring Facebook into line.

On 10 January, Roskomnadzor also accused the BBC of spreading the ideas of the jihadist organisation, the Islamic state, and said it was monitoring its programmes "permanently" as part of an investigation. (nxp/afp)
Old 25 January 2019, 16:24   #125
Puggsy
Banned

I think you made your point already, man.
Old 29 January 2019, 04:12   #126
grelbfarlk

What about Amiga forums killing social media? Thanks to the satanic Amiga mafia gangsters Phase5 closed their facebook account which was one of the most productive Amiga outlets in recent memory. And I'll assume Amiga forums also popularized Chucky's sanding down of the of the Blizzard PCB and got the video removed from Youtube.

Now we only have Phase5's Twitter which is too small of a format to fully encapsulate everything they want to say.
Old 29 January 2019, 15:16   #127
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Phase5 closed their facebook account which was one of the most productive Amiga outlets in recent memory.
Very funny
Old 29 January 2019, 22:42   #128
nexus

still curious if anyone gave that guy money i havent heard any butt hurt stories yet
well i guess besides chucky getting screwed on a few BS PCB's
Old 07 February 2019, 00:06   #129
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Original here on The New York Times site
Quote:
Opinion
Facebook Turns 15: A Friendship No One Asked For

An honest Facebook friendship anniversary video for Mark Zuckerberg.

By Sarah Jeong, Video by Adam Westbrook

We turned Facebook’s friendship anniversary video into a look back on the company’s rocky 15 years.

Feb. 4, 2019
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 April 2019, 14:49   #130
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

deepl.com translation (original text in attachment).

Quote:
Facebook: millions of data exposed online

INTERNET The social network has closed access to publicly accessible personal data on Amazon servers.

Security researchers from the American company UpGuard have discovered yet another privacy breach affecting Facebook. A batch of 540 million data from the social network was available for free online access on unprotected Amazon S3 servers. Representing 146 GB, the database contained user names, account IDs, comments and feedback before Facebook reacted and collaborated with Amazon to delete it, following a Bloomberg article.
This information was collected by two third-party devices at a time when Facebook was more permissive about the data that third-party developers could collect about its users, before the Cambridge Analytica scandal. This is the Mexican digital media company Cultura Colectiva, as well as the app. At the Pool.
Launched in 2012, this social network aimed to promote networking between people with similar interests. Renamed Yeti, the service was closed following its purchase in 2015 by private investors. His database contained photos, but also passwords for 22,000 accounts, probably those of the device and not Facebook, according to UpGuard. However, this could be a problem, as people are likely to use the same password again. -MICHEL ANNESE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb-mdexposees.gif
Views:	84
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	62723  
Old 09 April 2019, 16:23   #131
BastyCDGS

Send a message via ICQ to BastyCDGS
Hi @ all!

Excellent thread here!

Just found the following article about how asocial (yes asocial, NOT social) media ruin our memories:
Instagram and Snapchat Are Ruining Our Memories

Documenting our lives for Snapchat and Instagram can decrease the likelihood of retaining those moments as a significant memory.
Full English article:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8...memories-v26n1

German version of above:
Instagram und Snapchat ruinieren unsere Erinnerungen

Wenn wir unser Leben ständig für Social Media dokumentieren, bleibt nichts mehr für unseren Kopf übrig.
https://www.vice.com/de/article/8xyd...e-erinnerungen
Old 15 April 2019, 13:30   #132
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

When the car got invented, there were many who made fun of it.. who would leave their horse and carriage behind.. just to take the car.. don't be stupid!

.... progression!
Old 15 April 2019, 14:05   #133
UberFreak

I don't see these social networks as progression...
Old 15 April 2019, 14:08   #134
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
When the car got invented, there were many who made fun of it.. who would leave their horse and carriage behind.. just to take the car.. don't be stupid!

.... progression!
Yeah, and now said cars happily pollute...
Old 15 April 2019, 14:18   #135
daxb

And we know that using a car isn't a good idea because it has so many drawbacks. You can say that social networks is the opposite of progression or progression in the wrong way. At least with a look of the current social networks.
Old 15 April 2019, 23:22   #136
madlax

I never really got into FB, Twitter and the other social media networks. Actually I think it's more anti-social what's happening there. I see couples on their dates in restaurants just staring into their phones, or posting pictures of their potato fries. When I started with computers we still dialed into BBS systems. Those were good times. Today, if you were to post a photo of a flower on twitter saying "This is beautiful" you'll probably end up getting hate messages for the next 12 months :-D
Old 16 April 2019, 13:06   #137
Paul_s

Is social media still a thing? It was outdated in 2004 and probably more so now!
Old 17 April 2019, 08:52   #138
acidbottle

I cannot pinpoint exactly when the net became a thing but with every jack and his dog using it now, the commercial and political spectrum has shifted and made the world, sadly I think, a slightly worse place. Rather than all being connected, you get the feeling were are all disconnecting and becoming self obsessed.
Old 17 April 2019, 09:33   #139
jizmo
Registered Abuser

I find that the conversation can sometimes turn somewhat toxic in the forums, which is something that rarely happens in social media retro groups.

On the other hand I love the way the old threads are available to be searched and commented in forums some 15 years after they were originally created and people will still pick them up like nothing
Old 17 April 2019, 11:48   #140
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
I find that the conversation can sometimes turn somewhat toxic in the forums, which is something that rarely happens in social media retro groups.
Dude, you have no idea. They can get really nasty - like groups of people ganging up on someone, reporting them to their employers for purely imagined infractions etc. Stuff that impacts people's lives away from t'internet.