English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 05 December 2010, 23:41   #1
skeediddley

Soooo glad I didn't sell my miggy!

Hi all.

I'm a composer/producer by trade, and naturally was absolutely blown away the first time I saw/heard an amiga running a tracker back in the late 80s. I was sold, and blew every penny I had on an amiga a1200 with the biggest hard drive in the world - a 209mb internal ide hd.

I used an amiga for everything up until around 1995, and composed some of my best stuff on it. Even released a few tracks that were recorded straight out of miggys butt!

Then, the world of professional studios took over, and I was more or less forced towards cubase on cough cough atari, then pcs, 16 bit akai samplers and eventually macs and logic. The amiga went Into the studio cupboard and has stayed there until now.

To it's credit - much studio kit has come and gone in that time - but miggy has stayed. The akai s900 that replaced her, was itself replaced by the 2000, then a 3000, then several 3200xls. They have now All been replaced by software samplers and have all been sold for a pittance.

And here comes the full circle: I'm now working on an 8bit album! The beautiful crunch of Paula and the sublime squeals of SID have been discovered by a new generation and are reborn. Wooohoooooo . An excuse to fire up protracker once more!

So.. Miggy is out and has been treated to a 68030/50, a new 4gb cf hd, a PCMCIA transfer card and an LCD monitor. Runs a little faster than it did, Sounds every bit as good as I remember.

Big thanks to everyone here on this forum getting me this far!
Old 05 December 2010, 23:57   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi skeediddley, and welcome to EAB!

Congratulations on having the good sense to keep your Amiga from back in the day and having upgraded it to a more useful spec.

So, how much did an A1200 with such a hard drive cost back then?

Any chance of posting some teaser samples from your forthcoming 8-bit album as you make progress?
Old 06 December 2010, 00:18   #3
Dreedo

I love Amigan music.

Thats a nice 1200 you have there by the way, i have mine hooked up to a 22" LCD HDTV, but i'm not sure the quality is as good as it could be, but its still very good.
Old 06 December 2010, 12:18   #4
8bitbubsy

Hi and welcome, skeediddley

I really like that the Amigas aren't completely forgotten! It's indeed a very nice machine for doing sampling and having the "raw" output sound with no fancy reverb, compression, surround and so on. It's perfect for doing live mixes, use it as a cheap sample trigger or beat runner.

Speaking of trackers, I am currently rewriting ProTracker into C open source, so if you run Windows (or GNU/Linux with some compilation experience) then you can enjoy a little nostalgic trip to the golden days by playing some MODs while having the authentic ProTracker interface and stuff. You can track with it but several hotkeys are yet not implemented, and there are no "load sample" or "save module" functions yet. Please take a visit here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/protracker/

I'm sure you'll get some sentimental moments if you used this tracker a lot back in the days. Maybe you have some MODs you can play in it? Press the "DISK OP." button to load MODs.
Old 06 December 2010, 12:27   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Welcome to EAB skeediddley and enjoy your stay
Old 06 December 2010, 12:54   #6
skeediddley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Hi and welcome, skeediddley

I really like that the Amigas aren't completely forgotten! It's indeed a very nice machine for doing sampling and having the "raw" output sound with no fancy reverb, compression, surround and so on. It's perfect for doing live mixes, use it as a cheap sample trigger or beat runner.

Speaking of trackers, I am currently rewriting ProTracker into C open source, so if you run Windows (or GNU/Linux with some compilation experience) then you can enjoy a little nostalgic trip to the golden days by playing some MODs while having the authentic ProTracker interface and stuff. You can track with it but several hotkeys are yet not implemented, and there are no "load sample" or "save module" functions yet. Please take a visit here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/protracker/

I'm sure you'll get some sentimental moments if you used this tracker a lot back in the days. Maybe you have some MODs you can play in it? Press the "DISK OP." button to load MODs.
haha! magic. Im on mac, but Ill give it a whizz in windows7 in parallels.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi skeediddley, and welcome to EAB!

Congratulations on having the good sense to keep your Amiga from back in the day and having upgraded it to a more useful spec.

So, how much did an A1200 with such a hard drive cost back then?

Any chance of posting some teaser samples from your forthcoming 8-bit album as you make progress?
If my memory serves me - I think I blew almost £900 on the whole package: Amiga A1200, 209M HD, Phillips monitor, External floppy, GVP Sampler, Trilogic midi interface and a copy of sensi soccer (would've been rude not to.)

I shall indeed post some mods, mp3s and pics as the album progresses.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Last edited by TCD; 06 December 2010 at 13:10. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 06 December 2010, 13:01   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Soooo glad I didn't sell my miggy!
Amen to that!

I came here with the view to selling my gear about 18 months ago and I'm so pleased I didn't!

Since then I've built a great collection and found a whole new Amiga world I didn't even know existed the first time round!

Glad you're enjoying the Amiga experience again

Steve.
Old 06 December 2010, 14:31   #8
alexoualexou

welcome and ya it's soo much a superb machine to compose with trackers
I'm gonna order some parts to make my A1200 work again to mainly use protracker and octamed to do old-school tools, so a big cheers to ya
Old 07 December 2010, 11:40   #9
Paul_s

nooooooooooooooooooo how could you get rid of the s900? they are synominous with the 80's decade of shizzle

Welcome though!

Last edited by Paul_s; 07 December 2010 at 12:14.