English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you mainly do with your miggy?
Gaming 28 59.57%
Office work 1 2.13%
Music creation 1 2.13%
Graphics 2 4.26%
Coding 3 6.38%
Other? (say what) 12 25.53%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 December 2002, 08:58   #1
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Question What do you do with your miggy?

So what are you doing the most with the beast?
I bet games will rank high!
Old 17 December 2002, 09:28   #2
NytroX86

The only reason I got an Amiga was to play all my favourite old games. I know I could have used an emulator but I don't like 'em and prefer a more authentic experience of having an actual Amiga machine. It just seems more nostalgic to have the machine aswell, playing an Amiga game on a PC just isn't and never will be the same.
However games is the only thing I use my Amiga for right now, because in truth I believe a PC would be better for everything else. It is surely impossible for 15+ year old machines to compete with the latest PCs for graphics and sound, but I'll admit I haven't tried any Amiga office applications but suspect they are bettered by PC or Mac counterparts too.
The only time I can see myself using for other things is for games, like drawing levels or making sounds for SEUCK. I am also planning on sometime getting some stuff off Aminet and making a nice WorkBench for myself.

Old 17 December 2002, 09:31   #3
manicx

Well, I am not using my miggies so much those days (just play Kick Off 2 with Alkis21 and our pals ) but I used to do graphics mainly. Art Effect, Brilliance anf TV Paint were loaded 24:7. Scala was also my favourite. I still do some MM with my Genlock I have to admit, mainly subtitling in videos... The Kick Off 2 WC2002 documentary is my last MM work...
Old 17 December 2002, 09:46   #4
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
I have a basic Amiga 1200. I use my PC only, but sometimes I switch on my Amiga only to see the beauty of Workbench 3.1
Old 17 December 2002, 11:13   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by NytroX86
However games is the only thing I use my Amiga for right now, because in truth I believe a PC would be better for everything else. It is surely impossible for 15+ year old machines to compete with the latest PCs for graphics and sound, but I'll admit I haven't tried any Amiga office applications but suspect they are bettered by PC or Mac counterparts too.
There is still no better text editor anywhere than CygnusEd. Deluxe Paint still has some advantages over PC/Mac paint programs. Compare Scala and Media Point to similar apps on the PC, like Power Point. Even the command line system shell has nothing I know of on the PC or Mac to one-up it. I'm sure I could think of many more examples, but you get the idea.

Originally I used my Amiga for video production (titles, animation, Toaster stuff, etc.), I used it for business stuff and DTP, gfx design, music creation, writing, surfing BBS's...pretty much the whole nine yards. Mind you, gaming is what I have embraced as the Amiga legacy, but I think it's sad how many people only know of the Amiga's gaming marvels. Only a few years ago did I even get a PC and that was because I just didn't find internet surfing to be adequate on the Amiga at that time. Honestly, I haven't even seen how the Amiga holds up in that arena since that time.

When I have a more modern Amiga setup (mostly, my existing Amiga setup(s) need some repair stuff), I plan on using it more than I do at this time. I am researching audio hardware and software solutions for a recording studio my buddy and I are creating. I have seen everything for professional sound recording on the PC and topping ProTools (a $10,000 app!) is a tall order, but Pyromania has aimed me in the direction of some modern Amiga sound solutions that look mighty impressive. Once I have tasted the Amiga version of sound production, I will make my decision.
Old 17 December 2002, 12:40   #6
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I'm using my A1200 mainly for gaming and browsing the Internet. This way, I avoid all crap sites made with crap languages/tools like Flash, Java and so on
Old 17 December 2002, 12:58   #7
maddog

Well, the internal drive in my 1200 is stuffed. So most games & demos won't boot.

When I use the Amiga I tend to transfer images of my old disks using Samba (and DF1)

WinUAE is great and getting better (congrats to Toni, Bernd and all the others), but one day I hope to get round to fixing the 1200......
Old 17 December 2002, 13:07   #8
Ian
Global Moderator

I use mine for gathering dust in my computer room.

Reason: WinUAE is better and more convenient
Old 17 December 2002, 13:11   #9
AmiGer

Gaming !
Old 17 December 2002, 14:26   #10
Mr Softy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I am researching audio hardware and software solutions for a recording studio my buddy and I are creating. I have seen everything for professional sound recording on the PC and topping ProTools (a $10,000 app!) is a tall order, but Pyromania has aimed me in the direction of some modern Amiga sound solutions that look mighty impressive. Once I have tasted the Amiga version of sound production, I will make my decision.

Great! Keep me also informed in your research and/or testing 'cause when I'll have some money to spend again (in the mid 03 if everything goes well...) I plan to use amiga hardware in music too.
Would be great to work with synths, samplers, plus a Mac and a Miggy!
Old 17 December 2002, 14:27   #11
Amiga1992

Work and some gaming from time to time. I use it most for pixelstuff production on DPaint, and live video stuff using VideoTracker AGA, MNU³ and others.
Old 17 December 2002, 15:16   #12
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
I use my miggy mostly for internet, dtp, gfx, coding, music and playing a few games occasionaly...

I use my pc for laughing at (not that I've turn it on for 3 or 4 years)...
Old 17 December 2002, 16:15   #13
LaundroMat

As mentioned by Twistin', there is no better text editor than Cygnus. Was it never ported to the PC?
Anyway, it wouldn't be the same thing. The AREXX possibilities were endless, the modules that existed for it were superb (as basic as it may seem on first sight, I have never encountered a lovelier development environment than AmigaE couples with CygnusED), and it was extremely user-friendly.

"Oh, I'd like to be able to [insert wish] with this CygnusEd".
Mere seconds later, it was possible, done and easy to do!

*sigh* Whenever I have the time again, I'd like to spend days on end (as I used to do) on my Amiga again. First, I'll hunt for some good old fashioned joysticks, then I'll fill my HD up to the brim with games, hook it on a new telly and game away!
After, I'll code myself a nice self-booting game selection screen, slap some nice tunes on it, and game away again!
Old 17 December 2002, 16:23   #14
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
currently I'm only using them for gaming, however I will probably do some programming on them as soon as I get some time.
Old 17 December 2002, 20:08   #15
Lynk

Well i use my amiga for alot of things, but at the moment it is collecting dust just like the other 43 of them.

I hope i get some time to kickstart her ass up soon.
Old 17 December 2002, 23:05   #16
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I use mine for gathering dust in my computer room.

Reason: WinUAE is better and more convenient
DIE!!!!!!!
Old 17 December 2002, 23:14   #17
Djay
95th User

my miggy is under lock & key... only brought out to transfer rare software when i find it...

i mainly emulate (sorry Akira)... but i'm so busy all the time i don't get much time to actually play anything... i must make it a new year resolution...

... i spend more time on here than anything...hehe
Old 17 December 2002, 23:14   #18
Mr Softy

Evil grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
DIE!!!!!!!
Hey! Not so fast!

why not some nice torture before that?

Old 17 December 2002, 23:17   #19
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

A few months ago I dug out all my old assembly books and RKMs and started to re-learn assembler (I even bought Devpac from Hi-Soft to get the manual!). I was planning to write a Christmas demo, but I bought Battlefield 1942 and I'm afraid my resolve faded into on-line gaming mayhem! Oh well, maybe next Christmas!
Old 17 December 2002, 23:56   #20
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I look at it and I cry, because it isnt working anymore