English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 December 2019, 02:21   #581
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
That onboard sound, the ESS1371 was my main soundcard for my Win9x machine for aaaages. It worked beautifully in DOS (once you ran the TSR) and even better in Windows.

Since it resampled the sound, it also made the DOS games sound (to me) a bit better. But it didn't have a real OPL3, so, FM music might sound a little different.

I stuck with it until I got my SoundBlaster Live! (whenever that came out) with it's 5.1 Audio support (if you used the proper digital cable and the Cambridge soundworks 5.1 audio speaker set)

I used to use PowerQuests Partition Magic 8 to work on partitions, but, it also came with Boot Magic, which was pretty easy to use and had a lovely little menu!
You could not only boot off of different disks, but, also hide partitions, and disks too.

If you can find it, I suggest you have a look at that as well as GAG.

I had 3 main partitions on my boot disk, Win95, Win98se and Win2K, and then a fourth partition for Data. Each menu hid the other two, so, Win95 only saw P1, and Data, etc.

I wish it was still around. Symantic bought I think, and buried it
Ive got Partition Magic 6.0 I may see if that has boot disk also

It's sad When Companies buy Useful Software etc just to Bury it! Happens Everyday :-(
Old 12 December 2019, 13:39   #582
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Do you guys use Ultimate Boot CD??

Good selection of free tools for all your hacking needs... bootable from CD or USB stick.
Old 12 December 2019, 14:39   #583
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Do you guys use Ultimate Boot CD??

Good selection of free tools for all your hacking needs... bootable from CD or USB stick.
No ive not tried it will look into it?
Old 12 December 2019, 16:09   #584
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Some tools are very nice to have, like how to break user ID/Password on Windows etc.
Old 12 December 2019, 22:18   #585
OldAmigan
Professional old fart!

Yes, it's really useful.

I used one of the progs to salvage all the main files from my pals HD when it failed on him. Took a while but it was for his business - was he relieved!
Old 13 December 2019, 00:19   #586
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Some tools are very nice to have, like how to break user ID/Password on Windows etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAmigan View Post
Yes, it's really useful.

I used one of the progs to salvage all the main files from my pals HD when it failed on him. Took a while but it was for his business - was he relieved!
Perfect Timing as I have a Repair Job in at the Minute where a Laptop has no output on the Display but does have a HDMI Output. My friend was Using it with his Projector purely to Watch Films with but his Projector burnt out so he got a new one. He Plugged the Laptop in as Usual to the New Projector and he says his Laptop just went on a mental one and Starts Beeping and Shutting down and since then he has been able to do nothing with it. I cannot Get a Display out of it either but if this Disc can Salvage his Hard Drive Data I have a PC he can Buy
Old 13 December 2019, 00:22   #587
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

I know this is X86 Discussion but just Lately my A1200 has been Used so Much! My Amiga love has Finally returned after having no end of trouble with A500's and Accelerator Cards (Whole other Story). on a Serious note can I WHDLoad with no Ram Expansion?
Old 13 December 2019, 00:24   #588
lesta_smsc

No RAM at all is probably unlikely. I sort or assume it needs enough RAM for at least 1 disk... maybe wrong but even basic games need more RAM.

Either look at true HD installer versions which require less resources or go down route of Gotek.

I bought some brand new DS DD to write disks (copy protected working too now) but fortunately I have a large collection of original disks from my years of collecting.

I may part with all of this soon and like @DamienD , go to full emulation.

Also on a side note. I put Lakka on my MXQ and configured it to output CVBS to my 28" 4:3 CRT TV! It looks so good... just like it would on playing console directly without the big pixel graphics (due to native low resolution of CRT TV)
Old 14 December 2019, 02:14   #589
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
No RAM at all is probably unlikely. I sort or assume it needs enough RAM for at least 1 disk... maybe wrong but even basic games need more RAM.

Either look at true HD installer versions which require less resources or go down route of Gotek.

I bought some brand new DS DD to write disks (copy protected working too now) but fortunately I have a large collection of original disks from my years of collecting.

I may part with all of this soon and like @DamienD , go to full emulation.

Also on a side note. I put Lakka on my MXQ and configured it to output CVBS to my 28" 4:3 CRT TV! It looks so good... just like it would on playing console directly without the big pixel graphics (due to native low resolution of CRT TV)
I have HD Installed a few games that have the Installer on Floppy but I thought there may just be a easier way haha

That's really Cool that your using a CRT with Emulation I bet it does give it the look it so needs :-)
Old 14 December 2019, 02:53   #590
lesta_smsc

All these HD upgrades etc are over rated.

The device was built for these TVs... it works natively effortlessly.

Hence emulation works best on CRT. No need for shaders. No need for screen configuration etc.

You should try TV out to CRT from your graphics card. You'll be impressed that DOS games work without showing block pixels and looks like playing on a console ie pixel perfect.
Old 16 December 2019, 20:10   #591
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
All these HD upgrades etc are over rated.

The device was built for these TVs... it works natively effortlessly.

Hence emulation works best on CRT. No need for shaders. No need for screen configuration etc.

You should try TV out to CRT from your graphics card. You'll be impressed that DOS games work without showing block pixels and looks like playing on a console ie pixel perfect.
Why have I not done this Before! hooked my pc up to the new Arrival of a 24 inch Sony Trinitron its so Cool playing Dos games like this

Would still love a Actual CRT Monitor though just for Convenience
Old 16 December 2019, 20:28   #592
lesta_smsc

I'm not sure if a CRT monitor would give the same image as they are usually higher resolution than TV.
Old 16 December 2019, 23:58   #593
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
I'm not sure if a CRT monitor would give the same image as they are usually higher resolution than TV.
Very true indeed! But for Convenience as I swap Pc's a lot for Different types of Stuff. Now I got a p2, p3 and a p4 (Both socket 478 and LGA775) and they are all useful for Different Gaming / Computing Tasks. would love a Pentium, 486 (This is where I started), 386 and everything else but for Backwards Compatibility the P2 will Suffice enough wouldn't you say? anyway going off topic a bit Crt Tv's are the Actual nuts! if you like LGR on youtube he does some interesting upscaling with a Black and White Crt TV and a Xbox :-) Great Stuff!
Old 17 December 2019, 00:02   #594
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Have also Seen a lot of Modern Gamers use Crt Monitors Still! the Colour Depth and Refresh Rates have a lot to do with it I Think! the new Doom running on a CRT Monitor looks Fantastic I must say
Old 18 December 2019, 18:44   #595
lesta_smsc

I got rid of a CRT monitor ... I wasn't so keen as I prefer to play modern games on higher refresh rate screens.

My philosophy: stick the the original hardware the game/device was intended or go to emulation completely.
Old 23 December 2019, 15:07   #596
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Does GAG Work with Modern OS as Well? I want to put a Secondary Windows 10 on a Hard Drive Partition I made but Windows Will not let me Install to that Partition as it Already Detects Windows 10 Installed on my SSD :-(

I really Should just Move a Few things off of my SSD and Create the Secondary Install on to that but I am Feeling a Bit Lazy at the Moment
Old 23 December 2019, 15:09   #597
lesta_smsc

Not sure... the website may help on this query although I cant imagine why it wouldn't
Old 23 December 2019, 21:00   #598
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Thanks to @GlenM for the Parts and Sticker. I don't usually Sticker up my Daily Driver but I just Couldn't Refuse that's Ace (There isn't a Rats Nest in the Bottom of My Pc it's the Reflection from my 360 Gamepad Wire I Can Assure you It's Cable Managed )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191223_195544.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	65646  
Old 24 December 2019, 01:01   #599
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

I think my Amiga 1200 needs a recap. Occasionally just White Screens :-( Shall I Attempt myself as I Can solder or shall I leave this one to a Proffesional?

Or would it Be the Homemade Atx Psu to Amiga Psu Conversion I have Done? Commodore PSU Died :-(
Old 24 December 2019, 15:19   #600
lesta_smsc

Sure its recap that is needed? Did you add anything to the Amiga that might have caused this. Check boot screen errors for possible causes and maybe it might be simple fix. Although recap is recommended if not been done.

It looks relatively doable on YouTube but when it comes to practically replicating the videos it's another matter altogether! Lol