English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 October 2013, 22:10   #1
GratedTopping

sound-difficulty

A few months ago, I bought the "Amiga Forever" package on DVD. I specifically thought it would work great and that I could store my Amiga 1200 away.

The main problem is with the audio being choppy and really static-y. In WinUAE preferences, changing the HOST>DISPLAY>LINE MODE to normal made it work better, yet it's pretty bad (especially with games).

I know I used that "Akiko" CD32 emulator before and it worked great. Now, that doesn't even do the job (and just freezes with a black screen at the start of every game).

My machine's not the newest and 'only' 3ghz but it's surely not horrible. When WinUAE/Amiga Forever/Akiko last worked best was actually on a 600mhz machine.

I thought that getting a sound card would help, but its recently installation didn't make any noticeable change.

What are the best settings for Amiga Forever/WinUAE to make games playable? Does anybody else have trouble with sounds/music being full of static and slow? I feel pretty-disappointed in WinUAE and my Amiga Forever purchase. Hopefully, there are easy answers. I know that Amiga emulation is tougher than many older machines, but WinUAE used to be much better to me.

Old 03 October 2013, 22:33   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Try to uncheck cycle-exact option.
Old 03 October 2013, 23:06   #3
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratedTopping View Post

What are the best settings for Amiga Forever/WinUAE to make games playable? Does anybody else have trouble with sounds/music being full of static and slow?
Well, I found WinUAE setting that works very well on my 2.13 Ghz laptop without any sound problems ... so check the link below:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=910284&postcount=5
Old 04 October 2013, 00:41   #4
GratedTopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Try to uncheck cycle-exact option.
That really did the trick. There are so many settings and I guess I'm still experimenting and learning about the emulation.

I still can't get Akiko to even start a CD32 disc, but I guess the "Amiga Forever" can emulate the CD32 and I need to check that out. I'm not sure why the "AF" window frequently cuts-off demos (I thought it was in PAL), so I need to figure it out. Also, it's too-bad that the unchecking of 'cycle-exact' needs to be done all the time. Full-screen results in the appearance of a flickering window.

I'm glad to say that I'm not disappointed with my "AF" purchase and I'm also going to leave the Amiga 1200 up. I've been having fun with my Compact Flash card-reader for the PCMCIA slot and there are still some floppies that I would need to make as ADF files someday.

Thanks also 'amilo3438'. I'm going to check out your settings as well.

I've been playing Amiga games with a Nintendo Entertainment System controller. Now, that's double the retro fun!

Last edited by GratedTopping; 04 October 2013 at 00:47.

Old 04 October 2013, 00:56   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

Some Amiga games can use additional joypad button.
Old 04 October 2013, 08:03   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is probably some AF specific display setting that causes the slow down.