English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 May 2018, 19:58   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Does anyone work on pixel art on their phones?

I've tried a few Android apps and found them pretty illogical and frustrating. I couldn't even find an obvious way to increase image sizes without anti-aliasing, which you'd think would be second nature to a retro art tool.
Old 18 May 2018, 00:34   #2
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

The guy who is making the graphics for an Amiga game I am coding uses an app on his cell phone to do it.

I don't know what app he uses and I believe it's very limited anyway (I always need to do some rework after he sends me the files, though this is expected, even more as I need to convert the files to .iff), but I can ask him if you're interested.

He says he uses the phone because he doesn't have a laptop, so he can work on this (a hobby project done on free time) while he is "on the run"... and he seems to like the app he uses a lot.
Old 18 May 2018, 15:50   #3
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Interesting. You'd think it would be too awkward to do this kind of thing on a mobile device, but I've found that the small screen can actually be an advantage sometimes because it focuses your attention. Providing you're using an interface tailored for that purpose of course. The same goes for long form writing.

Yeah, that would be useful please. The Android Playstore is a cess pit so it's always nice to hear personal recommendations.
Old 18 May 2018, 18:50   #4
Sinphaltimus

I'm eagerly awaiting the name of the app as well.
Old 18 May 2018, 19:24   #5
nogginthenog
Amigan

You can plug a USB mouse into Android devices. I can't imagine using a touchscreen is fun.
Old 18 May 2018, 19:58   #6
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
You can plug a USB mouse into Android devices. I can't imagine using a touchscreen is fun.
Galaxy Note8 with a stylus mind.
Old 18 May 2018, 20:13   #7
DamienD
Banned

Pixel art on a phone just seems like pain to me; for many reasons

...but what would I know.
Old 18 May 2018, 21:18   #8
PerspexSphinx

Let's 8 bit Art (CraZyDecigames) is a Android app for artists, animators and game designers that can quickly and easily create pixel art images and animation.
Easy raster graphics editor optimized for work with small images in PNG, JPG, BMP and GIF formats with the ability to create animations and work with sprite-set (strip) in the format of PNG.

The application includes:

- Nice and easy interface in both portrait and landscape orientation on different screens dpi;

- Functions of working with animation, previous phantom frame, frame manager, animation player with the ability to adjust playback speed with the future of smooth playback;

- Ability to choose the transparency background of black, gray or white;

- Quick access to eraser, palette, and all the instruments;

- 9 tools for work: brush, line, square, oval, spray, fill (4/8-way), colour swap, dropper, selection, and each tool has its own flexible configuration;

- High-grade 32-bit ARGB palette (with alpha) in two formats: hue and rgb (as in the Adobe Photoshop);

- Ability to store and quickly switch between hundreds of color samples, palette manager;

- Ability to work with very small images at high zoom without interpolation (blur);

- Pixel grid with the ability to disable it in the settings;

- Fast switching types of toolbars for easy work with a software button MENU;

- The function of total state save after closing and full resume when starting (auto-save images, animations, palettes and settings);

- Ability to instant undo and redo up to 10 recent changes in the canvas;

- 5 color blend modes: normal, overlay, lighten, darken, multiply;

- 2 effects: black and white, invert colours;

- Ability to rotate the image by any angle, horizontal and vertical mirroring, stretching, cropping or enlargement of the canvas with reference to the nodal point of the image;

- Full set up all aspects of the application, including service options for advanced users, allowing to change number of undos, maximum size of the image, maximum number of fps, maximum number of samples in the palette and so on;

- Ability to save images and animations (as sprite-set) to PNG and animted GIF, palettes in a special format PLT and PAL;

- Functions palettes and open images from different applications (image galleries, file managers, etc.);

- Built-in file manager that specifies a brief description about the sprites, images and palettes;

- Access to the last 3 open image files and palettes;

- The function of adding an external or copied images by selection tool with the ability to set up color blend mode for it;

- Transform selection functions;

- Ability to export animation to GIF file and share it with your friends (optional).

Features list will be updated with application updates.

PS: This is certainly not a
Photoshop, but it's not a Paint.
Old 18 May 2018, 21:30   #9
PerspexSphinx

8Bit Painter is also fun to use...

http://onetap.jp/en/
Old 18 May 2018, 21:37   #10
PerspexSphinx

There's also Pixel Art Painter, Pixly & GrafX2
Old 18 May 2018, 22:25   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

https://apkpure.com/br/8bit-painter-...ap.bit8painter

https://apkpure.com/br/8bit-master-p...eightbitmaster

He says those are the apps he uses, and he also says the first one is actually better.
Old 19 May 2018, 19:10   #12
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm looking forward to tinkering with them all to see which works out the best for me.
Old 24 November 2020, 12:35   #13
Foebane
Banned

At best, I TOLERATE Android apps, but given the choice, I will always, ALWAYS prefer good old K+M Windows.

The touch-surface of an Android phone is so frustrating, especially with having to physically switch between landscape and portrait and waiting for the phone to recognise the change, then having to use finger and thumb to zoom in so you can touch the right link on a webpage, and getting it wrong half the time anyway.

People may mention styli for such screens, but last time I checked, they don't come as standard and probably cost a lot when a pencil would do instead.

I am so with K+M on a desktop PC that I don't even tolerate laptop PCs, with their unintuitive mousepad interfaces and 100% godawful keyboards that also are likewise not intuitive.

At best, I cannot even comprehend that anyone could replace K+M on a desktop PC with a touch-screen interface, that I will only ever force myself to use the latter for the simple matter of, oh, I dunno, MAKING CALLS.

/rant