English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 November 2004, 00:42   #1
Dary WHM XDream

Thumbs up AmigaSYS v1.0 released this weekend.

A Hungarian WinUAE Mirror group has started (3-4 weeks) to work on a new kind of AIAB. The Project called now AMIGASYS but it will be renamed later, as the final version is released. You can see some screenshots on

http://amigapower.fw.hu

The Final Version will be released this weekend.

Hungarian WinUAE Mirror and AmigaSYS official page :

http://amigapower.fw.hu

Dary / WinUAE Hungarian Mirror / XDream Emulation Page

Old 11 November 2004, 22:24   #2
Bloodwych

Sounds very promising and looks like a great "miggi to the max" emulation set-up. This one seems to have thrown file size to the wind - it must be about 50MB or something reading through some of the features!

With AIAB not being updated recently this could find a nice home with emulation peeps, especially those wishing for a power-user setup that can do usual PC functions like surfing the web, listening to MP3s etc.

Impressive with some unique features. Great work.
Old 14 November 2004, 16:49   #3
narud17

looks great but as I can only read english I have no idea how to get hold of it?
Old 15 November 2004, 14:33   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Just by moving your smart buttocks to that site once again.

Is it normal that Hungarian sites are so hyper-fast in updating?
They're still offering WinUAE 0.8.26 for download as "latest version". Uh-oh.

Last edited by andreas; 15 November 2004 at 14:41.
Old 15 November 2004, 15:23   #5
Paul
RIP Friends

I''m downloading so lets see if it's any better than AIAB :P
Old 15 November 2004, 16:05   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

Nice work

Installed with no problem but I did delete the WinUAE_Hungarian.dll file first from the winuae dir.

All I needed to do was load AmigaSYS config, select kickstart 3 ROM and boot from workbench adf and run install script.

I give it 7 out of 10. Still like BW Classic WB best but it's nice to have a 3rd option.
Old 16 November 2004, 00:10   #7
Bloodwych

Thanks for the run down Paul.

I'll try this out soon. As I said before, looking good.
Old 16 November 2004, 10:42   #8
Paul
RIP Friends

I have another comment which is about the huge 56MB file size. This is not a problem for me as I’m on broadband, but is a pain for those on 56k dialup or those with monthly bandwidth limits.

If I made this package, I would remove all the sample mp3 and mod files. I would also remove the demos and games but have them as add on packs.
Old 16 November 2004, 13:43   #9
Bloodwych

I’ve been playing around with this new install last night and I can’t believe how different it feels in comparison to AIAB and ClassicWB. This is the great thing about the Amiga Workbench – people can create a unique and different OS environment due to the shear amount of customisable options available. Aminet really does rule.

For a first release, I’m impressed and it has some nice features. As I said before, this really is a “include everything” install, which makes it stand out as a different offering from both AIAB and ClassicWB P96. This has both advantages and disadvantages.

The advantage is there are loads of goodies for a new user to dive right into and experiment with. MP3s, demos, games, MODS, loads of utilities, nice filemaster 3.0 setup, great boot pics, even a small ADF collection! Yes there is loads to keep you occupied before seeking out your own stuff to install – very enjoyable to play around with.

The disadvantage is the file size (not an issue for broadband peeps of course) and lack of simplicity/organisation connected with having a clean and “ready to customize” default offering.

Things that immediately strike me as needing further attention are easier access to programs; tidying the popup menu (multiple CDROM links are annoying); double click support for filetypes; clearing up of certain windows/icons and clearer legibility on the desktop.

Overall the base work has been done in order to offer something really cool to the community. Although the package is large like Paul mentions, I hope you continue to create a package with lots of extras and goodies, as that’s what makes it unique. Dialup users can stick with AIAB/ClassicWB so it’s not much of an issue. This AmigaSYS should continue to offer what the others do not.

Thanks for your hard work and I hope to see refined releases in the future!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 17 November 2004 at 11:13. Reason: changed diskmaster to filemaster 3 by Toni
Old 23 November 2004, 07:18   #10
jmbattle

Hello!

Well, this is interesting - good job on a solid first release.

Nowadays 50mb isn't such a bit download, but I remember back in the day when I used to upload my 3.5mb AIAB archives over a 56k; some users emailed me complaining of the unnecessary download size!

Anyway, I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but would you mind crediting me a little more on the way the installation scripts? It took quite a while fooling around with AmigaDOS (I didn't understand it then, and I still haven't a clue), so just a quick mention somewhere in the credits would be nice.

Actually I took a brief look at Bloodwych's excellent ClassicWB package for the first time today, and might ask for similar credit for the original work/ideas.

Oh, also, I doubt anyone really cares about the copyright restrictions anymore, however I noticed quite a few files from the original Workbench disks (Extras, Prefs, Fonts etc.) that you may not have permission to redistribute, given that you were copying system files over earlier on.

Anyway, just thought I would register here and post a quick comment.

Unfortunately, as is all to evident, I'm not terribly motivated by Amiga emulation anymore, but every so often, fire up my AIAB beta archives just to update a few libraries and mess around with new VisualPrefs themes.

I keep promising it, but one of these days I will get around to tidying up all the updates (Amistart, PNG icons, new VP themes and anti-aliased TT fonts) then finally get something online.

Take it easy,
James

Last edited by jmbattle; 23 November 2004 at 07:24.
Old 23 November 2004, 11:12   #11
Bloodwych

Great to hear from you James and by the way, AIAB is still the most popular package for UAE I see mentioned across boards. You’ve done the community a proud service and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your hard work.

As you’ve probably read, my packages are primarily for real Amiga’s and not emulation. As a result, the programs installed are geared/limited towards working well on 020 slow Amiga’s and therefore intend to target a different user base than AIAB, hence the “Classic” label.

I only ever suggest the ClassicWB setup to peeps with real machines – the P96 version isn’t optimised fully from a visual standpoint for UAE in the same way as your superb original and never will be; it’s just a quick conversion included for those familiar with the ClassicWB environment wanting to make use of JIT speeds.

As for giving you credits on my side, your site is the very first link in the ClassicWB web page/manual introduction! When I have time I can re-write the introduction if you wish and give more history about your package, although it is all on your site for everyone to read. Last thing I want to do is to create a sense of injustice however, so post here or pm me about any concerns and I’ll address them.

It would be nice if you had time to bring AIAB up-to-date; as I’ve already said above your package is unique and offers a totally different Amiga experience to the others. It’s a very mature package and (even though it isn’t the most up-to-date) still represents a great downloadable setup for exploiting the full benefits of UAE.

Every time I boot AIAB I have total respect for what you achieved and the attention to detail displayed throughout. It holds a special place in Amiga emulation history that can’t be forgotten – I’ve met VERY few Amiga emu people who haven’t heard of the famous AIAB.

Welcome to EAB - I hope you stick around.

EDIT: For now, I've added AIAB and Amigaforever here and listed them as the original "pre-installed" workbench concept. In the future I'll re-write the introduction and web page/manual to provide more history and better credits.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 23 November 2004 at 12:56.
Old 23 November 2004, 14:03   #12
oldpx

Welcome to eab

Old 23 November 2004, 15:35   #13
Bloodwych

I've re-written the start of the introduction page.

Also added a credits section to the Important information thread, which is directly linked on the download page of the main site / provided manual.

Hope this is ok.
Old 23 November 2004, 18:19   #14
jmbattle

Thanks for the welcome!

Really, I wasn't expecting you to change the introduction - I was quite proud to note that AIAB was indeed the first link in the introduction! Actually, it was just a suggestion that should you ever put together a credits/thankyou list, you would include my name and a weblink. Or, perhaps the next time you're editing the startup-sequence (the file copy part), you could add a comment (as in a line beginning with a colon ';') somewhere near the top.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply and comments; I'm glad someone picked up on the attention to detail...!

Good job with your ClassicWB package - the P96 version is a very good basis for harddrive installed games and most other harddisk software, without all the hacks running in the background that AIAB is guilty of!

Take it easy,
James

ps. In which year was AmigaForever first released? I cannot be sure, but I'd hazard a guess that it was before AIAB debuted... indeed, I have a vague recollection of recieving an email from Michael expressing concern over the legality of the package; this was in the days when AIAB was a just a zip archive uploaded to my personal homepage on Xoom, intended for a few friends on IRC!

Last edited by jmbattle; 23 November 2004 at 18:28.
Old 24 November 2004, 11:33   #15
Bloodwych

Yeah, I tried to fathom which came first AIAB or Amigaforever. On the main web it said AFE started 1997 so I assumed that was before AIAB. As I said in the intro though, yours was the first free downloadable.

I certainly did pick up on the attention to detail, but that's probably because I've put together packs myself! I know how the simplest things can take ages and the cool little touches/optimisations are really only truly appreciated by the author. AIAB is a work of art - must have been time consuming and a project which I'm sure you're very proud of.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 24 November 2004 at 15:52.
Old 24 November 2004, 17:35   #16
jmbattle

Amiga Forever in 1997? Pardon my ignorance, but was there even a working Amiga emulator at that point?! I'm trying to remember in what year I eventually bit the bullet, deciding to give-up waiting for PPC, sell my Amiga tower, and jump to PC...

Cheers,
James
Old 27 November 2004, 14:19   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbattle
Amiga Forever in 1997? Pardon my ignorance, but was there even a working Amiga emulator at that point?
Sure there was.
Mathias Ortmann released 0.6.8 r3 in late 1997 (win32), which is still a very nice non-gui version of WinUAE and hyper-fast on modern PCs.
In February 1998, 0.6.9 R12 (win32) was released, yet still a nice piece of work.

Linux versions of UAE have existed since about 1995.
However, I assumed that you mean Windows versions because to my knowledge, Amiga Forever primarily serves Windows customers.

Last edited by andreas; 27 November 2004 at 14:32.
Old 27 November 2004, 15:14   #18
gambit_006
Zone Friend

Hi I just registered yesterday and I am having a look at the amiga sys just now. I use Bloodwych's Classic on my real amiga. Thanks for all your effort Bloodwych much appriciated. I bought a 1200 when it fist came out and had it replaced 3 times due to the graphics interference. Now I have 3 of them .
I have just been cathing up and reading the many posts. Long live AMIGA.
Old 27 November 2004, 15:25   #19
Dr. Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I have another comment which is about the huge 56MB file size. This is not a problem for me as I’m on broadband, but is a pain for those on 56k dialup or those with monthly bandwidth limits.
those on 56k dialup should go the store and get a broadband.
Or get a few more 56k lines, lets say 50 or so

the 56K speed is comming to its end
Old 29 November 2004, 11:45   #20
Bloodwych

Welcome to EAB Gambit! Glad the Classic is serving you well

Just out of interest, when you say A1200's with graphical interference, do you mean faint lines across the screen when the CPU is under load? Or do you mean actual artifacts like on an overclocked video card?

My A1200 was one the first also and suffers from the CPU under load problem. It can be fixed with a simple resistor mod apparently (pic in the mydocs folder included with the ClassicWB), but since it isn't too bad and not noticeable in games I've never bothered.