English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amix

Old 03 May 2017, 21:52   #1
dogs

Help finding a scan of Using Amiga UNIX

Hi guys. I am looking for a scanned copy of Using Amiga UNIX. I was able to find scans of the other two manuals, Installing and Learning, but I can't find any available scans of the other one. If anyone knows or has a scan, it would be great! Thanks

Old 03 May 2017, 23:01   #2
mark_k

It's not great quality but should all be legible...

http://web.archive.org/web/200409060...x_download.htm

Scroll down a bit and click the Using Amiga UNIX cover image. ua.rar, 56.19MB. Archive contains a JPEG file for each page of the manual.

I have also uploaded ua.rar to:
Code:
hXXps://www.media!fire.com/?pgye19ht19j9pzz
(The EAB admins block mention of many file-sharing sites. Remove the ! and replace XX with tt after pasting into your web browser URL bar.)
Old 03 May 2017, 23:25   #3
dogs

Dude you are awesome. Thank you so much. Yeah quality isn't great on that one lol, but exactly what I was looking for.

Btw I ended up using your help from another thread about a tape image to get amiga unix up and running too. So thank you for that too!

Old 04 May 2017, 02:03   #4
Matt_H

You can get that and other docs here: https://amix.failsure.net/HomePage

I PDF'd those jpegs some years ago and they are kindly hosted there.
Old 04 May 2017, 02:35   #5
dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
You can get that and other docs here: https://amix.failsure.net/HomePage

I PDF'd those jpegs some years ago and they are kindly hosted there.
Hi. I believe the download link to Using Amiga Unix is broken on that site. I wasn't able to download a couple days ago when I tried.

Old 04 May 2017, 23:03   #6
Superman

Try here in the applications drawer http://amiga-manuals.xiik.net/amiga.php
Old 06 May 2017, 04:54   #7
dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Try here in the applications drawer http://amiga-manuals.xiik.net/amiga.php
Ha very cool site. I added to my bookmarks

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Old 06 May 2017, 10:52   #8
Leo24

Hi Amix enthusiasts.
While we are at it, are the other Amix related manuals available somewhere for download? I newer came across these:
* Installing Amiga UNIX
* Working Together - Amiga UNIX and AmigaDOS

-Leo24
Old 06 May 2017, 13:32   #9
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

The Using Amiga Unix manual link at amix.failsure.net seemed to be broken. I re-uploaded it (I presume it's the same version), this time searchable version. (It's first in the Documentation and literature -section. I couldn't remove the non-working link. The CMS system the site uses is a bit weird).

I have all the four manuals (Installing, Learning, Using, Working Together). The Learning one is already at the site, others I am hoping to scan at good quality and upload some day.

The last manual, Working Together - Amiga UNIX and Amiga DOS, is a short one. Most of it is just descriptions how the two OSs differ, what commands are same/different, and how to install (and re-install) both OSs on one machine and how to boot to whichever you want. And how to modify partitions from both. There is a chapter about transfering files between the two but it's only about the bru -command and reading/writing floppies. In my opinion this manual gives very little extra if you have read the other Amix manuals, and about half is just basic Workbench/HDToolbox stuff.
Old 06 May 2017, 17:40   #10
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo24 View Post
Hi Amix enthusiasts.
While we are at it, are the other Amix related manuals available somewhere for download? I newer came across these:
* Installing Amiga UNIX
* Working Together - Amiga UNIX and AmigaDOS
For Installing Amiga UNIX, see this posting. I have the Working Together manual too, but am really hoping someone else either properly scans theirs, or at least uploads an at-least-it's-legible version so I don't have to.

Edit to add: I have also uploaded the Installing Amiga UNIX PDF to Media!fire:
hXXps://www.media!fire.com/?qvr9ayxndyami47

(Remove ! and change hXXps to https in the URL after pasting it into your browser's URL bar.)

Last edited by mark_k; 06 May 2017 at 18:02.
Old 06 May 2017, 18:22   #11
Leo24

Thanks for the link.

Installing Amix never was an issue for me. I have it running on my A3000 and in FS-UAE on my Mac. The only issue I have is, I don't have an Amix compatible network card for the A3000 nor is slirp working for me in FS-UAE. :-(

I just want the missing manuals because of curiosity, specially the "Working Together" one, as I don't see in Amix any provision for that other than writing files to AmigaDos disks.

-Leo24
Old 07 May 2017, 01:43   #12
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs View Post
Hi. I believe the download link to Using Amiga Unix is broken on that site. I wasn't able to download a couple days ago when I tried.
Alas, you are right. It seems I don't have the file on my hard drive anymore, either. I think I have it on a CD somewhere. Will try to retrieve it one of these months...
Old 08 May 2017, 01:18   #13
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo24 View Post
Thanks for the link.

Installing Amix never was an issue for me. I have it running on my A3000 and in FS-UAE on my Mac. The only issue I have is, I don't have an Amix compatible network card for the A3000 nor is slirp working for me in FS-UAE. :-(

I just want the missing manuals because of curiosity, specially the "Working Together" one, as I don't see in Amix any provision for that other than writing files to AmigaDos disks.

-Leo24
Stuff that doesn't require DNS should work in FS-UAE. You could try doing SLIP to another computer on the A3000 with a nullmodem cable. What's your network card?
Old 08 May 2017, 19:06   #14
Leo24

Yeah I use SLIP but speed is no fun :-(.
I have a X-Surf 2. I´m regularly checking for A2065 or Ariadne NICs, but prices are prohibitively expensive when they show up on eBay.
Old 13 May 2017, 21:39   #15
Matt_H

Quote:
Alas, you are right. It seems I don't have the file on my hard drive anymore, either. I think I have it on a CD somewhere. Will try to retrieve it one of these months...
Found the file on the drive of my OS4 machine. Too big for the Zone. Where else can I post it?
Old 14 May 2017, 03:04   #16
idrougge

Put it on the EAB FTP.
Old 14 May 2017, 03:47   #17
Matt_H

Quote:
Found the file on the drive of my OS4 machine. Too big for the Zone. Where else can I post it?
My mistake - was not the right file after all. mark_k's version on the Wiki seems to be based on/better than the version I did, so I'll recommend using that.