English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 04 April 2020, 14:25   #3261
PeterK

@honx
There are two possible reasons for this problem:

First, I have changed the space requirements for OutlineIconText and ShadowIconText recently to make it compatible to the behavior of the upcoming OS 3.2. Shadow needs 1 additional pixel line and Outline 2 more vertical pixels for the spacing now, because the labels should not stick directly below the images. If the Workbench regards the space between the disk icons or the left out icons on the desktop as too small then it moves the icons to next free position, although they were snapshotted correctly before. That's an annoying feature of WB which I don't like and which should be an optional setting in the WB preferences. Try without enabling Shadow or Outline label text or re-arrange the icons with more distance before you snapshot them.

Second possible reason is a bug that exists since 521 that I've fixed already, but it was quite harmless. It caused a long delay on TrueColor systems when you tried to reset WB twice or changed the screen mode more than once. Wait for the next update coming probably today with some other fixes.

@apex
Still could not replicate your snapshot problem. There is nothing wrong with your icons and I could always fix them. There must be a conflict with something else on your system, maybe a patch or a driver ?!

Last edited by PeterK; 04 April 2020 at 15:18.
Old 04 April 2020, 19:44   #3262
apex

Peter, no problem. I think I will replace them soon with MagicWB icons. I will come back.
Old 04 April 2020, 20:04   #3263
PeterK

@apex
Maybe there is a relation to the problem of Final Writer not saving documents on OS 3.1.4 as reported at A1k. I don't know?

Update to icon.library 46.4.529:

Added another buffer to the TrueColor versions (TC020, LD020, Aros, HAM8, HAM6) to transfer the uncompressed 1. image of OS4 or PNG icons from the loader to the drawing function on RTG and HAM screens. This improves the speed ~ 3% - 16% depending on the system.

No, there was nothing going wrong in 528 with the release of these buffers, and I spent a lot of time for hunting a phantom bug in my code. The problem is simply that the icon images are hold in memory until they have been drawn for the first time or are all released by FreeDiskObject() when you close their drawer. My wrong assumption was that I expected to get all the memory back as soon as the window is open, but this is only true for the visible icons. Those outside of the window frame are not drawn and thus still hold in memory until you scroll them up. Then their buffers get released immediately, too.

Nevertheless, I was successful during my bug hunting and found some teasers. Since v521 it could happen that 2 loop counters in my color reduction code were not initialized but started with -1 (65536 loops), all trying to find a non-existing color by scanning the stack up to 128k over the top. This bug was only triggered when you tried to reset WB or changed the screen mode twice and it caused a (very) long delay for 131000 useless color compares for every icon, but was not trashing memory. And I've fixed some other harmless issues, too.

Please, report back in case you still have any issues, because testing of countless possible configurations is always the worst job for coders.

Last edited by PeterK; 04 April 2020 at 20:45.
Old 05 April 2020, 14:16   #3264
apex

I think my problem is not so important. I am using PFS3 and not FFS.
Old 05 April 2020, 15:35   #3265
PeterK

@apex
If the icon snapshot does not always work reliable and that is caused by my library somehow then it's not a minor bug. But I can't find it as long as it's not reproducible for me, and I have already tried with PFS3, a 030 CPU, FPU, MMU, OS 3.1.4.1.

Do you have any special CPU settings or a ZorroII memory card, a gfx card, P96 (maybe the "Native" driver) or FBlit? Which sort of harddisk and controller, with DMA?

Btw, the Qt video that you've uploaded contains a lot of Exif information, meta data with your GPS position, provider and other things you may not want to publish. You can see that when you upload such files to Virus Total: http://www.virustotal.com/de/ or with tools.

Last edited by PeterK; 05 April 2020 at 15:45.
Old 05 April 2020, 18:55   #3266
apex

I am a child of the seventies, starting with a computer in the eighties, protecting my data since the nighties, but after Snowden and after fighting 5 years for data protection I lost my wife and friends till I realized that it is not really possible to protect your data if you want to stay in contact with other people. If you do not share your data, someone else is doing it. But thank you for the hint...

A2000, Kick 3.1.4.1, PFS3, MatzeIDE (Oktagon Clone), MatzeGraka (Picasso 2 Clone), Ariadne II, CBM 2091, Prisma Megamix. The icons are on a real harddisk connected to MatzeIDE.
Old Yesterday, 07:57   #3267
honx

i downloaded icon.library from aminet and icon.library_68020 still says 46.4.527 and my problem persists. so i went back to 46.4.520 again.
//edit: also aminet says 46.4.527, i just checked. so is 46.4.529 no available yet?
Old Yesterday, 09:14   #3268
AMIGASYSTEM

IconLib_46.4.529 you can find it on the first page of this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64079
Old Yesterday, 09:59   #3269
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Just wanted to drop by, saying that this works amazingly fast and looks great.
Amazing Work, Peter...
Old Yesterday, 11:21   #3270
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
i downloaded icon.library from aminet and icon.library_68020 still says 46.4.527 and my problem persists. so i went back to 46.4.520 again.
//edit: also aminet says 46.4.527, i just checked. so is 46.4.529 no available yet?
46.4.529 can be downloaded from the 1. page here as AMIGASYSTEM already mentioned.

Have you read my reply post and did you test without IconOutlineText or ShadowIconText or tried to enlarge the vertical distance of your icons before doing a snapshot again?

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=3261

If you didn't unsnapshot the position of your system disk icon, then it's probably Workbench that is responsible for the icon movement.

I'm going to check the snapshot function today anyway, but what is your filesystem type?
Old Yesterday, 11:31   #3271
honx

where can i enlarge vertical distance of icons in os3.9?
i don't want to go without IconOutlineText and ShadowIconText, i activated both in startup-sequence.
i'd rather stay at old 46.4.520 forever before i go without these two really nice modern looking features.
Old Yesterday, 11:37   #3272
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
where can i enlarge vertical distance of icons in os3.9?
Move them down with the mouse, select them and click on snapshot in the WB menu.

On my system I prefer to un-snapshot all disk icons instead, so that the Workbench moves them automatically to the next free position.

I don't want you to do without Outline or Shadow text, but I wanted to know if that was the cause.

Last edited by PeterK; Yesterday at 11:50.
Old Yesterday, 11:56   #3273
honx

ah, i thought there was an automated setting for vertical distance, like in other os (something like grid).
but yeah, increasing vertical distance did the trick!
now i guess, i'll have to look through all drawers to see, if there are other issues regarding vertical position!
Old Yesterday, 12:01   #3274
PeterK

No, in drawers WB usually won't move icons which have been snapshotted before to a free position. Only those that you un-snapshot explicitly.